Shimano Total Electric Power System (STEPS)

Mark_A_W said:
Well, I think I could go as fast/far on a lightweight roadbike, as on a electric bike with 200/250w.

It kinda becomes pointless.

But how far/fast could you go pedaling as much as you do on a lighweight roadbike that has a 200/250w assist? There are many different levels between beach cruiser commuter and 10kw monster trike and shimano is going after those who think they could commute but just need a little help to get there. There are alot of weekend social and trail riders that this might push off the fence. Hopefully someone gets one finds they dont' need it after their fitness level improves from 6 months of riding and dumps it real cheap on craigslist in my area :)

Well it does come with what I'd assume to be a midrange shimano groupset. It has an internal geared hub and a dynohub with the front and rear lights already there.
It looks like you could just buy a framekit, rims and spokes and you have a nice finished product. 2k would be a bargain compared to bionx with all the other stuff but I'll go with $1329

Mark, as the saying goes. "Different strokes for different folks" I have a Cylcone, a BMC motor, a 9C 10x6 and hopefully this winter a finished high power RC setup. I for one am still excited about this setup even though it is low power. I like to pedal and would find this the perfect exercise and fun trail bike setup. It would allow me to ride with others in the trails and create a very light setup that would be fun to pedal. My BMC, even though it’s setup for the trails, is a bitch to ride once power runs out. Also the weight balance isn’t optimal. When you get passed by serious mountain bikers, you realize that carrying less has a lot of upside.

Back