Show me your electric velomobile.

In Ontario, having more than 3 wheels is NOT considered a bicycle anymore...even if it's a handbike.

There's not even any registration process or anything...I assume it's just the easiest way to eliminate self-made vehicles instead of trying to actually classify things.

Eskimo said:
That new Quest looks like a old Batmobile :) Bicycle can have even ten wheels and it"s still a bicycle according to our law. Three wheelers with a motor are technically motorcycles, like that old Messerschmitt. That was and is their point, you don"t need a car licence to ride one.
That DIY-one is tailor-made for Norwegian weather. A practical beauty.

r3volved said:
In Ontario, having more than 3 wheels is NOT considered a bicycle anymore...even if it's a handbike.

There's not even any registration process or anything...I assume it's just the easiest way to eliminate self-made vehicles instead of trying to actually classify things.

That sucks. In Norway the law uses a word equivalent to "cycle", and it is simply defined as: A vehicle propelled by pedaling or cranking".

An electric bike is also considered a "cycle" and an unmotorized vehicle as long as the motor has a maximum of 250 W nominal, with a gradual reduction in assistance up to 25 km/h, and can only run while the pedals are turning. The throttle can drive the bike without pedaling up to 6 km/h.

tahustvedt said:
r3volved said:

That sucks. In Norway the law uses a word equivalent to "cycle", and it is simply defined as: A vehicle propelled by pedaling or cranking".

An electric bike is also considered a "cycle" and an unmotorized vehicle as long as the motor has a maximum of 250 W nominal, with a gradual reduction in assistance up to 25 km/h, and can only run while the pedals are turning. The throttle can drive the bike without pedaling up to 6 km/h.
...and it's those local laws that limits the bulk of any design.
a (e)cycle has to use 1, 2, or 3 wheels only where I live. Trailers not included in the wheel count.
Avast... there be good parts! (arrrrrrr)
My local laws defining e-bikes allows for:
The e-bike has to have operational pedals. No pedaling requirement under 33kph
1000W motor limit (not peak, average)
32kph max speed with motor assist only
No weight limits
Helmet use optional, mandatory for 16 year old operators

...these limits made my trike far easier to configure.

Hehe... Seen on the web:
Divide and conquer
The phrase is attributed to Philip II, king of Macedon (382-336 BC), describing his policy toward the Greek city-states. In politics, divide and rule (also known as divide and conquer) is referring to a strategy of gaining and maintaining power based on the fact that many smaller opponents are easier to manage than one larger one.

One might assume Phil had lots of lawyer friends. Creating "local" or "regional" or national laws... entirely divisive, yes?
Just a make work projects for lawyers?
:lol:

Just the word "velomobile" seems to entail many "flavours" of vehicle designs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velomobile#History

So watt exactly are we tapping about here anyway? Hehe *My* basic definition of "velomobile" in recumbent and with an aerodynamic shell body exterior?

LockH said:
So watt exactly are we tapping about here anyway? Hehe *My* basic definition of "velomobile" in recumbent and with an aerodynamic shell body exterior?
do you have a velomobile?
if so, please show OP.

My velomobile is anything but aerodynamic... unless you define a brick as being aerodynamic (yes... you can) but I know the definition of "velomobile" is being changed, mainly by the "hazard a guess" crowd.

ddk said:
LockH said:
if so, please show OP.

Missing shell "body":
file.php

LockH said:
ddk said:
LockH said:
if so, please show OP.

Missing shell "body":
:lol:

I love the others' velomobiles in this thread.
I only added mine because: j/k compared to theirs.
However...
I've been under the assumption that every 5th adult citizen in murica is disabled, with the majority being mobility disabled, which is why I believe consideration should be given to velomobiles more akin to what I built.

another GoOne Evo... :) with Xlyte 5403 motor! (back wheel cover off)

http://youtu.be/Pw8y1XBoAx8
90 kmh was enough for one off test :)

https://picasaweb.google.com/109200118817316198214/GoOneE2vo#

Attachments

• velo.JPG
    velo.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 3,102
Whoa that was fast. :shock:

As for the definition of velomobiles. This thread is open to any variation that is seriously considered a velomobile by the owner. ;)

So. Definition of the "velomobile". Aerodynamic and capable of... "higher" speeds. Does NOT include the Nanny Mobile such as the popular (?) recumbent "cruiser" tricycle.

tahustvedt said:
More velomobiles, less banter.

Hehe... If it's me you're babbling about, care to define what makes a "velomobile"?

Here is a short video of my ride that gives 360-deg view. 5000km done now this summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW7U4atGDMY

That 90 km/h velo is great :)
My record is 62 km/h, which felt definitely enough for this kind of retro thing.

tahustvedt said:
LockH said:
tahustvedt said:
More velomobiles, less banter.
Hehe... If it's me you're babbling about, care to define what makes a "velomobile"?
I'm just saying I also want to see variations that may not adhere fully to the "official" definition of a velomobile.
"Variations" that others might call for "less" of? As being of "a witty and teasing manner" (banter).
Sounds weird.

Pics of international velomobile races in Finland 1947 plus some other pics of old velos:

http://e-cruiser.blogspot.fi/2015/09/blog-post.html

Upcoming 8th velomobile seminar: http://www.velomobilize.at/index.php/veranstaltungen/aktuell/73-velomobilseminar-2015en

Proceedings of the 6th seminar: http://liggecykelforeningen.dk/designseminar/proceedings

In 2012, I built an Alleweder KV4 and rode it as transportation despite weight and steepness of hills. I just can't do it anymore, every time I have to climb in this I'm critically close to exhaustion. The island that I live on is notorious for steep hills and so, as the season moves ever closer to wet and cold I'm contemplating replacing the rear wheel with an electric assist hub.

I'm looking at a variety of options, but honestly I don't know enough about the motors to really be a good judge. I weight just shy of 90 kg and the velomobile is another 25 kg. The hills on the island are steep, not long. That said, had I that extra little kick I'd gladly look beyond my home island for riding so range is a factor as well.

Can anyone suggest a slow wind 20" motor wheel with excellent range and reasonable price?

Saguache said:
In 2012, I built an Alleweder KV4 and rode it as transportation despite weight and steepness of hills. I just can't do it anymore, every time I have to climb in this I'm critically close to exhaustion. The island that I live on is notorious for steep hills and so, as the season moves ever closer to wet and cold I'm contemplating replacing the rear wheel with an electric assist hub.

I'm looking at a variety of options, but honestly I don't know enough about the motors to really be a good judge. I weight just shy of 90 kg and the velomobile is another 25 kg. The hills on the island are steep, not long.

500W geared hub. Mid-drives are not good for velomobiles usually, because the long chain and many rollers that wear out fast with just pedal power only.

Eskimo said:
Saguache said:

I'm looking at a variety of options, but honestly I don't know enough about the motors to really be a good judge. I weight just shy of 90 kg and the velomobile is another 25 kg. The hills on the island are steep, not long.

500W geared hub. Mid-drives are not good for velomobiles usually, because the long chain and many rollers that wear out fast with just pedal power only.

Direct drive hubs are best for Velos. Geared hubs do not have regen capability.

Saguache said:

I'm looking at a variety of options, but honestly I don't know enough about the motors to really be a good judge. I weight just shy of 90 kg and the velomobile is another 25 kg. The hills on the island are steep, not long. That said, had I that extra little kick I'd gladly look beyond my home island for riding so range is a factor as well.

Can anyone suggest a slow wind 20" motor wheel with excellent range and reasonable price?

If you should probably start a separate thread with your questions, you'll likely receive more concise answers
Also ...range is almost purely a function of battery capacity where the motor/controller only provides a small-ish part to the equation.

Britchon feux.jpg
Assisted velomobile, base is a Leiba X-Stream XXL, with rohloff 14 speed hub on rear wheel and two Crystalyte 406 motors on the front.
Made for winter conditions with heated seat, heated frame, defrost, good lights.
Calculated range is around 400 km with same logic as big ebike manufacturer.

Nice e-velo Cavallo! Can you give us some info regarding consumption, wh/km at different speeds? Do you have any handling issues with the dual hubbies up front? How do you use it...as primary transportation or as fun and economical transportation? What do you think about a highway speed capable e-velo...interesting or no way (high speed is too dangerous with such a light vehicle?

Yes, that's one crazy cool mount Cavallo! I especially like the flexible ventilation in the "roof" (/sombrero?)

Is it your daily driver? How comfortable, safe and practical do you find it year round?
Do drive it around town and park in public? Where do you park at home and work, and do you have an outlet nearby?

Back