Show us your handlebars.

StudEbiker

100 kW
I'm curious how everyone has set up their handlebars. I've noticed a few people like to fit every gadget and light on their bars that they possibly can while others prefer a more minimal approach. I'm also to see how others handle the throttle situation. I think the top bar shifters paired with the no LED throttle works pretty well. The red switch on the left of the bar controls the SpiderFire headlight which is run off the battery pack. It's an "extra" thing on the bar, but it's much easier to flip the switch than push on the clickie. It's also helpful if I am stopped at a light or something behind a car and you don't want to blind the person in front of you in their rear view. I can just switch it off until I am rolling again.

HB1.JPG

Yeah I like clean and minimalist myself.
The chopper, just a bell for pedestrians and a horn for cars and ipod users and speedo..chopper lhs.jpg
Custom half throttle on right, well used now..chopper rhs.jpg
The suspension bike has the gear lever on the up and down of the brake lever, it works well and let me get rid of the thumb shifter for a cleaner look.fs bike gear shifter.jpg

Le Béte has a North Road bend handlebar cluttered by a Cycle Analyst, half-grip twist throttle, thumb shifters and the mandatory bell. The Cycle Lumenator has a custom bracket attached to the stem.
I plan to get a new backplate for the CA so it will take the newer mounting clamp and then relocate it centrally on the stem.LeBéte bars.jpg
EBII has a Mustache bend bar in the dropped position. The thumb throttle is mounted on a stub attached to the bar. A bell balances it. The CA and Cycle Lumenator, with a custom mount, are attached to the stem. Bar end shifters are swapped so I can shift the rear dérailleur while operating the throttle.EBII cockpit.jpg

Here is a small pic of what im sportinhg

Attachments

• The dashboard.gif
    The dashboard.gif
    32.7 KB · Views: 5,445
Bar controls (of commuters) always unique and interesting. Rarely, if ever, do you see two exactly alike. Here's my recent SuperV controls:

CDBars.jpg

CDBars2.jpg

I go shiftless. No point of all the cables/levers from what I can tell. The electrics make up for any gearing changes and if that fails I can always throw it on a smaller crank sprocket by hand. But, I'd probably walk it up any serious hill anyway.

Great thread! Breathlessly ran to the back patio and shot this picture of my handlebars. There really isn't room for anything else on the bar but I guess it would be considered "minimalist" because all it has is a thumb throttle on the right, the on/off switch, a mirrycle mirror ($13.77 on Amazon. Awesome mirror), and my pride and joy, the lights (spiderlights exactly as recommended in Big Beam's thread, "Best all round light for night biking"). Oh, and so little available room I put the horn down next to the geared hub... it's my "toe-horn".
'

i just went and got this photo.
great thread.....

i guess im kinda the polar opposite of most people... (those that have posted so far anyway ! :D )

Here's my rather crowded bars..... couldn't fit another thing on them. not that im looking to add anything else.

bars1.jpg

Jason.

This is what CrazyBike2's looked like back in October 2010:
file.php

when I had tested it with the Fusin kit in the front wheel. The red switch hanging off one of the shifter levers is the threespeed switch for the Fusin.

Handlebar controls and brake levers are off a Honda Spree scooter from 85, I think. Turn signal and horn button are hooked up and usable on the left, with the brakelight switch setup for my brakelights. The Hi/Lo headlight switch is setup to be on/off for my CFL headlight and taillight. The Start button on the right controls isn't hooked up, but the Run-stop-run used to be in series with the old Briggs&Stratton keyswitch that's in the steering pivot tube, to turn the old brushed controller on and off. It's not hooked up now, but it will be hooked up to the "ignition" 2nd red wire on the brushless controller.

The paddle lever on the right is on a pot that used to be the brushed throttle. The brushless throttle is a typical hall thumb type, on the right between the grip and the Honda cluster.

Deore thumbshifter above the Honda cluster on the right, for the rear shifter. It's an 8speed shifter and a six or seven ring rear freewheel cluster, so they dont' quite shift where they should, but it was the best I could do at the time. :) Shifting is difficult because it can't be reached from the grip, no matter how I orient it. I have to take my hand off the grip and move it up there to shift (taking it off the throttle, of course). Annoying, but so far nothing better has come up, and I shift very little with the hubmotor on there. If I ever get around to changing it back to chain drive (if I fix the frame flex problem), I'll need to fix that.

I forget what the dual-shifter was setup for; I think I was using one of them for a clutch disengage on the powerchair motor, and the other to reengage it, at one time. Then I think I used one as the front shifter, as I had problems with the Deore shifter I had been using there, popping back to lower gears off the big ring while riding. :(

PDA in the middle is runnng VeloAce, as a speedo/odo/trip data unit. "windshield" is acutally a sunscreen for the PDA and used to be a printer paper feed holder off some Epson inkjet.

There's a mirror on the left, mounted on the appropriate spot of the Honda left cluster, but it's not visible in the pic. You can see it in the one below, though, as well as the bike bell (for warning pedestrians and cyclists, instead of the car horn).

Can't find the pics of what it looked like before that on ES now, but they are on my Electricle blog (first link in my sig). It's gone thru several iterations. :)

Latest is still about like this:
file.php

except the "windshield" is gone now (it broke off).
The Large-Screen Cycle Analyst replaced the PDA and the Turnigy Watt Meter (which was down on the battery pack, or sometimes ziptied up on the bars). Way better than the TWM for any quality/function they share. Just about as good as the PDA for speedo readability, even though the CA's is smaller than the PDA's, though I miss the analog speedo readout capability.

Then there's DayGlo Avenger. Just before it became an ebike the first time, it looked like this:
file.php

with typical gripshifters and brake levers, plus a ScootNGo's turnsignal switch just inboard of the shifter on the left side, and the ScootNGo's brake lever on the right side to use it's brakelight switch.

The module on the front used to be a scanner adapter for slides/transparencies/negatives, like the one in this post:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=317971#p317971
but was transformed into my headlight and turn signals in front. ;)

Then it became this, with the fusin kit:
file.php

where I later added the PDA on the top of the fusin headlight:
file.php

Then added some window tinting to the FUsin's battery meter cuz it's too bright at night, and also bar ends to protect the stuff on the bars when I have to flip the bike over to fix things on the road.
file.php

Moved the throttle inward using a thumb throttle now, plus the 3spd switch inboard of that. PDA still mounts on top via velcro, but isn't on there in the pic.

Re-added the turn signals, which were removed for a while, pending arrival of some different ones from a MC.
file.php

Looks craptacular again at this point, but everything is easy to reach and functional. :)

Full-bike shot with the turn signals and painted bar-ends.
file.php

Mirror is added on the left, held on by an old seatpost clamp. ;)

Then I replaced the Fusin kit's headlight and battery meter with the Honda scooter's "fairing" headlight module, including the incandescent headlight itself. Wattmeters go inside the housing, and then the PDA (not shown) sticks into the open top of that spot so I can see the speedo info. Can lift it up to see the wattmeter data.
file.php

Front view of same thing:
file.php

Still pretty much looks like that right now. Turn signal switch was moved to the toggle sticking out of the housing on the left. It's a tad farther than I like but the siwtch wouldnt' fit under it any closer. :(

Here are the bars from my Tidal Force Twins. One of the bikes has a CA and on the other the Turnigy watt meter. Of course the CA makes for a cleaner looking bar. Everything else is pretty standard.
silverbar.jpg

redbar.jpg

imag0263v.jpg

It's the best wiew that I have, I'll try to do better...
From left: EVO grip, SRAM grip shifter 9 speed, AVID brake lever, 900Lm light, CALDP, running light, E-brake lever, controller start switch, 3 speed switch, half twist throttle, EVO grip.

In the background: East view from the belvedere, Montreal today.

ODK: grip shifter, r.lever, remote opener, battery display, mirror, bell, CA, LED, cadence, switch HID, switch LED, f.lever, throttle cut, 1/2 throttle

Attachments

• photo 4-4b.jpg
    photo 4-4b.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 5,239

What do I win?

Box has 3speed switch, light switch, cruise switch, 5v switch, 5v usb plug for phone charging (runs off 12v dc-dc), dual thermometer, and jst 8s plugs for monitoring my ping pack via cell-log.
Also magura throttle :D

DSC_5340.JPG

The handlebars are shaping up. From the left, Mountain Mirrycle mirror, Magura grip, Hayes hydraulic front brake, SRAM front shifter on Titec Micros barend, old bell/compass, Cycle Analyst, GoPro HD960 camera, rear shifter on barend, rear brake, Magura throttle. Everything uncluttered and within easy reach.

Can't upload pics because I'm on iPhone, but here is the list from left to right..

1.) (front motor) thumb throttle with LED
2.) front motor cruise control button
3.) "switch clutch" which holds light switch, directional switch, horn button.
4.) "left side" tweeter
5.) cycle computer
6.) cup holder
7.) radio
8.) cigarette lighter / 12v "power port"
9.) mid-range speaker
10.) "right side" tweeter
11.) compass / bell
12.) rear motor cruise control button
13.) rear motor twist throttle with LED

That's about it..
(and enough)
Can anyone think of something else for me to add on it?

sangesf said:
Can't upload pics because I'm on iPhone, but here is the list from left to right..

4.) "left side" tweeter
5.) cycle computer
6.) cup holder
7.) radio
9.) mid-range speaker
11.) compass / bell

That's about it..
(and enough)

Still missing GPS, Iphone, and CB radio! :D

Alan B said:
sangesf said:

4.) "left side" tweeter
5.) cycle computer
6.) cup holder
7.) radio
9.) mid-range speaker
11.) compass / bell

That's about it..
(and enough)

Still missing GPS, Iphone, and CB radio! :D

Actually....
I DID have a GPS, XM radio, IPhone AND CB radio hooked up..
GPS and XM were removed because I didn't need GPS (I use the iPhone) and didn't want to pay for sat radio anymore, PLUS I use my iPhone's iPod songs through the radio.
The CB radio (with amplified PA) was almost never used, so I removed it. (plus, the unit itself was attached to the side of the triple t's and not the handlebar, however the Mic was.

Ah haa...

Let's call that a Cokpit! :mrgreen:

-Cycle analyst V2.11 200V version
-Crystalyte Cruise control
-Garmin Venture CX color lcd GPS
-Voltage indicator for battery group 1 and group 2
-Low Medium High switch
-Switch for High beam 60W of OSRAM LEDs
-Switch for Low beam 10W Luxeon LEDs
-Motor winding temp monitor
-Controller Fets temperature monitor
-Pack 1, 2, 3 and 4 alarm and quick view monitor

Attachments

• P1080325_800x600.jpg
    P1080325_800x600.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 4,223
  • P1080328 details_800x600.jpg
    P1080328 details_800x600.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 4,223
I don't like to many things on my bars. This the most I carry except for maybe one more Magicshine for the summer night rides. You wanted to see other ways of doing throttles. I just ran the front derailleur cable to my rear bag and hooked it up to a thumb throttle. Stays nice and dry in the bag and leaves the bars looking stock.
Handlebars.jpg

Where is the Flux Capacitor?

Doctorbass said:
Ah haa...

-Low Medium High switch

I like to keep it simple, so I set my bikes up as single speed. I don't ride my SuperV at night, and I set up for throttle activated rear regen, so all I have on my handlebar is a front brake and a throttle. The last thing I need is some distraction for myself that I mounted on my bike.
Super V handlebar.jpg

Spacey said:
Where is the Flux Capacitor?

Doctorbass said:
Ah haa...

-Low Medium High switch

It is in developpment!!!

Mine doesn't look as "Pretty" as yours and my watt meters have been delegated to be as close to the batteries as I can..

Here's a short YouTube vid of my bike as it will show you my handlebars and the battery box I'm currently using along with everything else too..

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=17M9Yuvs0lU

John in CR said:
I like to keep it simple, so I set my bikes up as single speed. I don't ride my SuperV at night, and I set up for throttle activated rear regen, so all I have on my handlebar is a front brake and a throttle. The last thing I need is some distraction for myself that I mounted on my bike.

Thats the stuff :)
Clean, heavy duty and does exactly what it should.

biohazardman said:
I don't like to many things on my bars. This the most I carry except for maybe one more Magicshine for the summer night rides. You wanted to see other ways of doing throttles. I just ran the front derailleur cable to my rear bag and hooked it up to a thumb throttle. Stays nice and dry in the bag and leaves the bars looking stock.
Handlebars.jpg

Do you have any other photos of your throttle setup? I like the idea, but am unsure of how it would work using a shifter. EG, shifters usually stay where you put them.

Back