Single HUB motor, VESC Loaded Dervish Build

tomtnt

10 W
I've been riding a hacked E-GO board for few months on 10s lipo before the ESC died. Decided to reuse the original Yuneec battery on a new build using LEver's hub motor and Chaka's VESC.

Deck: Loaded Dervish
Battery: EGO 7s/3p? (29.4v, 7.8AH) panasonic cells, ?30A. case is pretty cool, the orange rubber tab allows the entire case to flex with the board.
Motor: single hub Motor from LEver
Wheels: 90 mm
ESC: VESC from Chaka
Controller: Nyko wireless nunchuck directly into VESC

First off, just wanted to thank both LEver and Chaka for excellent customer service. Answered every email promptly. Chaka's VESC is a thing of beauty - the soldering work is excellent and clean. It comes protected in clear plastic heat shrink with necessary ports exposed. He customizes the VESC based on connection needs. The hub motors are also very nicely constructed. No probem on this particular drop mount. LEver was very honest and helpful in assessing the feasibility of my build.

The setup weighs a light 13lb and is very easy to carry. The battery is easily charged with the stock Yuneec charger. I weigh 150 and the board has no problem starting from a standstill. It does struggle on hills >15-degree but that is the limitation of the battery (I limit the current on the VESC). Max speed is at least 22mph - I was too afraid to go faster as I keep on getting disconnections on the nunchuck. I think it can easily do 25mph on the flats.

20151115_211549.jpg
20151115_211628.jpg

Do u think the other non-nyko nunchuck would keep a better connection? I heard good things about using the karma nunchuck with the vesc from Chaka and the vesc is designed to go with it. I'd like to think it'll be good since I ordered them from Chaka with a hardwired nunchuck as well soon to come

Doesn't the deck touch the motor casing when you're turning with it dropped through like that? I've been wanting to upgrade to a tan tien + lever hubs from my e-go, but it's never looked like the hubs would provide enough clearance for the drop-thru. Maybe the newer 83mm hubs, but even those use risers in pedi's drop down deck pics.

Snowstorm said:
Doesn't the deck touch the motor casing when you're turning with it dropped through like that? I've been wanting to upgrade to a tan tien + lever hubs from my e-go, but it's never looked like the hubs would provide enough clearance for the drop-thru. Maybe the newer 83mm hubs, but even those use risers in pedi's drop down deck pics.

I was worried as well, but the clearance is fine - I've loosened up the trucks and really try to get it to touch the hub but could not.

Hummina Shadeeba said:
Do u think the other non-nyko nunchuck would keep a better connection? I heard good things about using the karma nunchuck with the vesc from Chaka and the vesc is designed to go with it. I'd like to think it'll be good since I ordered them from Chaka with a hardwired nunchuck as well soon to come

I'm not really sure -some people seem to have no issues with the nyko kama and VESC but I've read others with problems even when wired directly to the VESC. It's pretty annoying - random signal dropouts.. I purchased another brand to test - it might also just be a crappy controller or receiver... too many variables.

Nice...I was considering buying just the battery to put on my board but I't priced out at $299 without the charger ($80). For that price you are better off buying SPACE or even Dexters new 12s battery.

What kind of range are you getting? Oh...and post some more pics! give the people what they want!!!

12S3P 7.5ah Samsung 25R 30A Cont/80A Peak. Includes fuse, on/off switch, battery % indicator, 2x USB ports for charging, DC barrel jack for 4A charging. 410mm x 140mm x 20mm. Price will be about $350 shipped worldwide.

I'm testing first of course and will be needing people to test the pack as well. Price will be $275 shipped for testers. Just FYI. Should be done by the end of the month.

torqueboards said:
12S3P 7.5ah Samsung 25R 30A Cont/80A Peak. Includes fuse, on/off switch, battery % indicator, 2x USB ports for charging, DC barrel jack for 4A charging. 410mm x 140mm x 20mm. Price will be about $350 shipped worldwide.

I'm testing first of course and will be needing people to test the pack as well. Price will be $275 shipped for testers. Just FYI. Should be done by the end of the month.

Nice specs! Any sort of enclosure for it - i think a pack with an enclosure would be of value to many people and probably easily offset the cost of producing the enclosure. would love to test.

Gatwod said:
Nice...I was considering buying just the battery to put on my board but I't priced out at $299 without the charger ($80). For that price you are better off buying SPACE or even Dexters new 12s battery.

What kind of range are you getting? Oh...and post some more pics! give the people what they want!!!

haven't had a chance to check range or max speed yet... this nunchuck sucks ass... I've ordered the GT2B, another nunchuck, and the benchwheel remote for testing...

I replaced the nunchuck dongle with another nyko nunchuck dongle and it works well now... looks like some of these nunchuck receivers are crappy

tomtnt said:
I replaced the nunchuck dongle with another nyko nunchuck dongle and it works well now... looks like some of these nunchuck receivers are crappy

just to confirm did you exchange nyko for nyko or another brand? There doesn't appear to be many options....(when you rule out the really cheap looking ones for obvious safety reasons)

rodgah said:
tomtnt said:

just to confirm did you exchange nyko for nyko or another brand? There doesn't appear to be many options....(when you rule out the really cheap looking ones for obvious safety reasons)

I bought another nyko nunchuck - the 2nd receiver worked much better. no dropouts.... I would wait a bit - in december, enertion will be selling the transmitter/receiver that vedder/jaccoby made to replace the nyko nunchuck - it's supposed to be much more robust and reilable.

jakeyb2525 said:
Nice to see you've put the E-go battery to good use :D

yea, i'm suprised it's able to drive the hub motor... I'm using the VESC to limit the max current as I don't think the cells in there can handle more than 30amp peak. So I'm basically limiting it to 29v*30a = 900w peak... the acceleration on incline sorta sucks because of it... I think I will eventually upgrade to 10s with some high discharge 185650 - I'd like to reuse the yuneec enclosure - I really like how it can bend...

at 10s, 60amp peak,I could get 42v*60 = 2400w if I did a 10s2p configuration... even 42v*30a = 1200w would be an improvement

tomtnt said:
It does struggle on hills >15-degree but that is the limitation of the battery (I limit the current on the VESC).

Might you elaborate on this . . . How much do you weigh? How fast would it ascend a 15 degree hill (given a rolling start)?

SteveS said:
tomtnt said:
It does struggle on hills >15-degree but that is the limitation of the battery (I limit the current on the VESC).

Might you elaborate on this . . . How much do you weigh? How fast would it ascend a 15 degree hill (given a rolling start)?

I only weigh 145 - it starts slowing down to about 10-12mph on the hills and you can really hear it struggling.. but again, it's a limitation of the battery pack - I'm pretty sure that battery pack isn't made to put out more than 30A peak... so that is what I have it limited on the VESC...

I love this board though - I have a boosted board also, and I actually prefer riding this one.. it's lighter, glides better, has the cool cruise control on the remote... the only thing lacking is the power but I'm thinking about upgrading to 10s 18650 pack... i really do love the Yuneec's battery enclosure though .

tomtnt said:
SteveS said:
tomtnt said:
I only weigh 145 - it starts slowing down to about 10-12mph on the hills and you can really hear it struggling.. but again, it's a limitation of the battery pack - I'm pretty sure that battery pack isn't made to put out more than 30A peak... so that is what I have it limited on the VESC...

I love this board though - I have a boosted board also, and I actually prefer riding this one.. it's lighter, glides better, has the cool cruise control on the remote... the only thing lacking is the power but I'm thinking about upgrading to 10s 18650 pack... i really do love the Yuneec's battery enclosure though .

Thanks for that detail. It sounds like your 30A current limits the motor to 900 watts, which is less than half its rated output, so that would be capable of quite a lot more.

I really like the idea of a single hub motor board, for its lightness and cleanness. I weigh 155, will settle for being limited to 15 degree hills, and would be happy to run 12S. Your experience makes it seem like my dream might be realistic.

The thing to look out for with a single drive and high voltage is the uneven braking. It's very pronounced if you're going very fast.

But with VESC you can set the rpm limit. Although I'm not sure it will work if you're "coasting" downhill at 30mph. :mrgreen:

Back