So I bought a lathe...and made Hub Motors

I have not, mostly because the exterior side of left and right wheel will have different distance from the center of the truck. They are offset differently. I'm sure they will affect the left turns vs the right turns.

I may offer it soon though, since I plan to have my own wheels done to my specifications with a wider contact patch.

If hub motors can be dual diagonal then that is exciting.

WIth some people raving about front drive for carving and braking and rear drive having its benefits also it seems having both is the way to go.

Curious how it would look and work.

Inboards Manta drive (hub motors) have some sort of interlocking urethane that can be user installed and removed?

rodgah said:
...if that isn't the case what stops you from extending it further or moving the motor out more?

Good question. There's only about half an inch more to go on extending the wheels of the hub motors out to make it equal in offset to the regular wheel. I'm concerned that by extending it out further, I will be putting too much pressure on the exterior-side bearings compared to the interior-side bearing. I'm also concerned about "coning" and exposing the motor more from the back of the wheel. Ideally, the motor should be shorter or the wheels wider, which I'm planning on doing.

BTW, here's a single Hub motor board: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/staryboards/stary-worlds-best-electric-skateboard-get-yours-fo?ref=newest :p

That's really cool actually, the planetary gearing is interesting and should provide decent torque it seems but unless they are lightweight I agree it's tough to do a 30 degree incline most likely
The vents are still open on the end of the rc motor and I wonder how it deals with dust/grit/water
Pretty cheap and decent commuter option and seems to be a trend in lighter weight, high power boards

Yeah, a 200lb person going up a 30% incline is a pretty amazing feat. Easily done with dual motors but wonder how well it would do with a hub motor.

Planetary gear is a nice idea too.

10-15% incline is pretty decent but relatively small compared to 30%.

Can't wait to see it :)

Ha, I do have a Provisional Patent application for "Axle-Mounted Brushless Outrunner Motor Connected to a Wheel with Planetary Gear Assembly," I wonder if I should continue to convert it to Non-Provisional. :mrgreen:

I got the idea by opening my VEX Robotics versa gearbox. Never got to built one though, and got disinterested after riding the 149kv DD.

It does start from standstill, so the torque is there, probably more if they made it dual motors. You know why they didn't make it dual motors? It will be freaking noisy, lol.

I also don't know if replacing the belts with multiple gears makes it simpler. You'd need to lube those gears and they are heavier than belts. You do gain space underneath the deck though.

But hey, it's pretty cheap and gets the job done. More Hub Moterzzz for all! :twisted:

Actually both your hubs and their planetary system are amazing, you did achieve such a clean motor unit with DIY rated components (this is a compliment, I favor DIY because it is hard to reach and DIYers have awesome projects popping out of nowhere).

And this planetary gearing is brilliant idea, reduction ratio straight inside wheel is neat. Noise can always be countered with Teflon! I say go for it if you already know how to !

love the hub motors. Any issues with durability/longevity of the motor bearings yet? Or tiny rocks getting inside the motor?

Vanarian said:
...Noise can always be countered with Teflon! I say go for it if you already know how to !

They have another video at the bottom of their KS page and at 1:35, you can clearly hear the noise of the gears. It's not really bad, but I still like my Direct Drive better, it's more of a K.I.S.S. system.

maxchilton said:
love the hub motors. Any issues with durability/longevity of the motor bearings yet? Or tiny rocks getting inside the motor?

Thanks. I built this April and have not replaced any bearings yet, riding them hard every other day to test them. I do see the wheels getting thinner though.

The outside of the of the hubs gets really dirty, but when I open them, the there is nothing inside and the stator is clean. The copper wirings stay as they are, the laminations are not scratched and there is nothing between the magnets.

I do ride only on paved roads and sidewalk though, not really rocky. But there are some where I go over small branches and leaves. I guess when you gun it, whatever is inside gets spitted out.

maxchilton said:

I have had a pair of pediglide's motors for over a month now and they are totally not able to withstand the forces. I have been working with endless member Mike Keefer since June 16th on improving this design. He has been a deeply involved in this project with me and is a great help. At this point it seems like Jacobbloy motors are much better designed for these conditions. Just wanted to warn you of the potential quality issues and see what input the community has to improve this.

- The first problem I had with these motors is the screws holding the can to back fan and skirt bearing are way too small and short they fall out almost immediately.

- Also The urathane was not epoxied to the can well at all. He did not use enough epoxy and it slipped off of both motors while riding on the first day. Be very careful with this since the motor will grind violently on the pavement and get damaged, when the urathane slips off. I had to reapply much more epoxy myself.

- Next the bearings are not sealed and cant handle the forces. After a week the bearings on one of the wheels was shredded (like nothing left, see the pic) and the motor locked up, stator grinding on magnets and threw me off the board.
20150623_185339.jpg

So i replaced those bearings with stronger sealed ones. Now my other wheel bearings need changing. Its also impossible to change the big skirt bearing in the back of the motor when that eventually fails. listen to the sound in this video: [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdzENjKBevE[/youtube]

- Another issue since day one is bad crackling/cogging on hard acceleration. I came to realize this was caused by the stator being loose on the truck. The epoxy (only red loctite) is not strong enough to hold the stator in place especially at high motor temps. I don't think he used any kind of set screws either. You can see the stator jerking back and fort on hard accel/braking in this video: [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZn7OtqCu20 [/youtube]

- I have continually had sync and timing issues with these motors using a variety of controller settings. This could be due to the stator slippage. This loss of sync/cogging from the loose stator will also potentially lock the wheel and throw you off the board.

- The bell housing of this motor is also too thin to withstand deflection or lateral forces. My wheels are way out of balance now this causes some instability. So much so that the bell is rubbing on some winding causing sparks and cutting a few of the wires (see the pic).
20150703_001216.jpg

This got so bad once that on bumpy pavement the winding shorted and locked the wheel up at high speed again.

Besides all of these quality and safety problems worst of all is that Jerry (pediglide) even when he is selling them as a ready made product on ebay, will not offer any you support when you have these issues. He has not responded to any attempts to contact him post sale since June 15th.

These wheels are really a death trap. This is at best an alpha design.

Thanks for your input Mike. I'm sorry you had a problem with the Hub motors I sent you. I have added some improvements on the design.

I have put a set screw to the the truck aside from screw that was originally used to brace the stator. In this way, the stator can be secured and removed to replace the inside bearing.

20150715_145716.jpg

The wheel slipping off, as far as I know, is only exclusive to the softest duro real ABEC11s. None of the clones have slipped off, as far as I know.

I believe you had problems with the bearings because you did not tighten them well enough and you did not program your ESC before riding them. You kept on riding them even with horrendous cogging as you said.

I would replace any Hub motors that have any problems, even pay for the return shipping where ever they are in the world.

Unfortunately for you, since you made a chargeback on your bank and Paypal gave you your money back without returning my product, even though Paypal instructed you to do so; I cannot give any more service.

So you basically have my product for free. But thank you for your feedback. I will learn from this and improve my product.

Please do let me know when you have a product that is out on the market. I will sure to try them and give you feedback also.

torqueboards said:
Nice the new ones look nice :)

Thanks man! My Hub motors are a work in progress, and I am eternally grateful to the community for helping me out in this. That is why I will replace any of my existing Hub motors with a new and better design for free, until I and the community is fully satisfied with them.

Just send me back the old Hub motors, working or not but at least complete with the major parts, and I will send out a new one with the improved designs. If the return shipping is a problem, I can cover that too, where ever it is.

The only thing I ask is that you pay for the Hub motors and that you do not call me on 6AM Sunday morning here in California. Also, please don't accuse me of not giving any customer support because I do not delete my emails and can provide them as evidence.

Yeah doing a charge back, keeping the product and then complaining on a public forum is pretty douchie.

How are they holding up for other people?

I have read some positive reviews of how they initially perform but not a lot about durability.

CSN said:
How are they holding up for other people?

I have read some positive reviews of how they initially perform but not a lot about durability.

A valid concern. That is why I'm offering either money back or upgrade to a new design. If you're not happy, I'm not happy. :D

I figure there is only about a month to go before I present the final design. It's only a matter of getting the budget to get it done in quantities so that I can offer it affordably.

psychotiller said:
Yeah doing a charge back, keeping the product and then complaining on a public forum is pretty douchie.

yea, but so is putting a product on the market that isn't safe and hasn't been properly tested.

I think the problem here is the non-disclosure of the fact that he made a chargeback and got my product basically without paying for it. Legally, he is not my customer and I do not have any obligations to him. Even much so to defame me in a public forum.

max, I am not the only vendor here that has had this happen to. Motor mounts, vesc, and other stuffs have had problems. And that is just for the E-board, I'm sure the E-bike forum has had this situation. The main thing is that we are willing to rectify the mistake. It is a DIY item in the first place. But since the buyer has my product and I do not have his money, what else can I do?

There is no 100% guarantee that a product will not fail. Even big auto companies have recalls and lemons. You just can't anticipate all the possibilities that a customer will do to your product. I've tested the product based on my parameters, but the customer has others. And I did not disregard what happened, I improved the design, I am continually improving the design. Will my improvements make the product 100% fail-safe? Heck no, it will still need to be improved it, and the customer's feedback is vital.

torqueboards said:
maxchilton said:
psychotiller said:

yea, but so is putting a product on the market that isn't safe and hasn't been properly tested.

He should return the product then. :twisted:

^Exactly! To have a voice of "morality" you also have to do the right thing...Return the damn parts since you didn't pay for them you thief! Then I'll gladly listen to you whine. Which is exactly what you're doing. All because at some point you heard someone say the customer is always right.

Back