So I got rear ended by a car today..

ddvvcc2

10 µW
Hi everyone so I am looking for advice. I was at a left turn lane at a red light and while waiting a car came behind and drove into me enough for the cars weight to not let me move the bike until she finally reversed the car a little bit. The cars weight was on the rim for 5 minutes or so.. I will sort out the damages with the police and insurance tomorrow when the police report is ready but I am wondering what kind of damage could be done to the rim and hub motor? its a 4000w hpc hub motor rim.. I am thinking it all needs to get replaced basically a whole new wheel. something could have been unseeingly damaged. I didn't get a immediate flat tire but after riding home about 5 miles i had a instant flat tire. what do you guys think i should do? ive attached some images from on the scene below

View attachment 3
2.jpg
5.jpg
3.jpg

Is the rim still round? Looks O K in the pics.
Are the spokes still tight or are some a bit loose?
If the wheel is good then a new tube and tire should fix it right up.

Looks like the sun was low and directly in front of you.
That would have made it harder to see you.

When I first checked the spokes a few seemed a big wiggly in one area but when I got home after the flat tire I can't really notice wiggly spokes now. Good eye on the sun thats exactly what made it happen according to the lady. I will have a bike store check the rim out in the morning anyway to be safe. Thanks for the reply!

Glad you are ok.
Collision may have been slow speed, but it was serious enough to deform the front elements of the Audi.

May be no serious or hidden damage to the bike wheel.
On the other hand, can never be sure.
Tire, spokes,wheel, motor on bike is a single assembly.
Seems reasonable that they replace that entire assembly.

Plus a new pair of boxer shorts for rider... believe I would have peed myself at minimum!

Yeah, about that rim. This is what, titanium? Cast iron? Looks like you could slice right through those tin foil Audi's. Good thing you had it there to protect you. Glad you're safe.

Oh, yeah, you need to receive a check to replace it. Hell, who knows what would develop down the road. But once you have the money, you have a toy to play with.

I'm honestly not sure what its made of! but it sure as hell seems like a pretty strong rim lol. Its "Alexrims fr30" rim google search didn't really turn up much info about it.. i feel like a normal regular bicycle rim would have been crushed by the weight because the car was basically pushing forward and down on the rim for a good while. the cop was like ok lets move to the parking lot over out of the middle of the road and i was like i think she has to back up haha this bike isnt going anywhere with the car holding it in place. lol. thanks for the replies !

wow, you got off easy if your biggest problem is whether the rim is damaged or not. Say thank you to whichever diety you believe in. :mrgreen:

The motor should be OK because all the tress is on the rim and spokes, but check that there's no cracks at the spoke flanges.

If the wheel is still true, thr rim and spokes are probably OK. If not, it's probably a good idea to rebuild it with new rim and spokes.

I guess if the driver had gone another couple of feet before stopping, it would have been a lot worse, so you were lucky as well as unlucky. There's not much you can do to avoid that sort of thing.

I’m glad you’re alright but I suspect that rim is likely tweaked.

attach and trim a wire tie wrap somewhere on the frame and use it as a runout gauge to help visualize if the rim is egg shaped, damaged or otherwise out of round.

Do you have and use good mirrors? I refuse to ride bikes without good mirrors and often use them to keep an eye on what’s approaching from behind while sitting at intersections.

This is also another reason I’m a proponent and supporter of “lane sharing” technique when riding any bike in traffic among hurtling machinery.

Did cops check her cellphone for any activity at the time of the crash? I do agree the sun looks like a contributing factor.

I used to have a 98 Audi Avant Quattro that was the same color. If I hit a 50 pound bike with a rider straddling it hard enough to bend my license plates, my insurance guy and I would call it getting off light if all you wanted was to replace the bike/motor/battery.

Hope your bottom and your thighs feel OK tomorrow.

Dauntless said:
Yeah, about that rim. This is what, titanium? Cast iron? Looks like you could slice right through those tin foil Audi's. Good thing you had it there to protect you. Glad you're safe.

Oh, yeah, you need to receive a check to replace it. Hell, who knows what would develop down the road. But once you have the money, you have a toy to play with.

Plastic, not tin foil. Aluminum rim > polypropylene bumper cover. A little more force and the rim would have met up with the aluminum cross member (the real bumper) and would have been instantly deformed.

OP: I'd make them pay for it. If that had happened to another car, you bet they'd be paying for a rim, tire, the mounting and the balancing.

cal3thousand said:
Dauntless said:

Plastic, not tin foil. Aluminum rim > polypropylene bumper cover. A little more force and the rim would have met up with the aluminum cross member (the real bumper) and would have been instantly deformed.

WEll yeah, except my experience is that the metal bumper is right there under the cover, I know of cases where there's not that much free play and the bumper would have had to have been in contact with the wheel. Then it's a case of maybe coming from underneath like that makes the bumper vulnerable, while the curve and whatever bead structure of the wheel makes it surprisingly strong. Unfortunately we'll never get the real story.

If 4000w isn't road legal for a bicycle in your area and you don't have a motorbike license then you should technically be more worried about an insurance company suing you for riding an illegal unregistered 'motor bike' that damaged a car and basically prosecuting you to the fullest extent of the law. Depending on the insurance companies, some are starting virtually shoving a pine cone up people's arses.. I already heard of a few stories when the seriousness of the accident got the deep digger lawyers out and they did virtually shove a pine cone up the arse of the ebike rider for not having a legal bike even if everything was the drivers fault.

Get rim and spokes and $150 to build the wheel out of them for sure. That wheel is damaged, even if the damage is not obvious today.

Motor should be fine.

TheBeastie said:
If 4000w isn't road legal for a bicycle in your area and you don't have a motorbike license then you should technically be more worried about an insurance company suing you for riding an illegal unregistered 'motor bike' that damaged a car and basically prosecuting you to the fullest extent of the law. Depending on the insurance companies, some are starting virtually shoving a pine cone up people's arses.. I already heard of a few stories when the seriousness of the accident got the deep digger lawyers out and they did virtually shove a pine cone up the arse of the ebike rider for not having a legal bike even if everything was the drivers fault.

how can they go after me if i have it speed limited etc with the CA? and if i can prove right in front of them that it wont go over 20mph.. maybe the 4000w is just so i can accelerate to 20mph faster so im able to get out of the way quicker... the ebike law here is cant exceed 20mph under motor power alone and has fully functional pedals.

Dauntless said:
cal3thousand said:
Dauntless said:

WEll yeah, except my experience is that the metal bumper is right there under the cover, I know of cases where there's not that much free play and the bumper would have had to have been in contact with the wheel. Then it's a case of maybe coming from underneath like that makes the bumper vulnerable, while the curve and whatever bead structure of the wheel makes it surprisingly strong. Unfortunately we'll never get the real story.

The metal bumper is under the cover, but right above the line of the wheel contact. Like I said, any more, and it would have visibly deformed that wheel.

My experience: I own the facelifted version of that very car and my bumper (cover) is currently off as I just replaced the thermostat, water pump and a crapload of gaskets. Going to put the thing back together tonight. :D

Do you care to share where that accident occurred? Just curious if it is in Boston near me.
If I were you I would consider asking the person who hit you if you can not report it to the insurance and if they will reimburse you only 200$ to fix your wheel up. Unless you are looking for more $. Did you get there info ?

BikeFanatic said:
Do you care to share where that accident occurred? Just curious if it is in Boston near me.
If I were you I would consider asking the person who hit you if you can not report it to the insurance and if they will reimburse you only 200$ to fix your wheel up. Unless you are looking for more $. Did you get there info ?

Close by! lol, Newburyport MA, Unfortunately i didn't think of that possibility and i already called them. although they told me someone would be in touch and would call me back sometime but it hasn't happened yet. I also would not know who locally could rebuild just the rim and spokes, I don't think a regular bike store could build a rim that sufficient for this bike... i bought the bike from CA..

Good idea for direct reimbursement. You could still attempt with the driver.

Seems the car just drifted forward and nudged your bike. The bumper height started to trap the wheel. But with proper biking safety (defensive) it appears this should have been easily avoided.
If you're riding on the road with cars I think the standard motorcycle safety courses are very applicable, as well as proper safety instruments like mirrors lights and even a horn.

That said of course the car driver is at fault. I do wonder why you guys didn't immediately disconnect tho- seems like it was left like that for at least several minutes. Around here we're supposed to get fender benders to the side of the road- isn't that the same most places?
The pictures do testify the wheel would be best to be rebuilt and that cost should be persued. Especially if the tire was that flattened but held air for a while after. From the pics I'm personally doubtful there is any damage beyond a pinched tube, but would fully inspect before deciding to continue use if it were me. Then it's up to the bike owner to use the reimbursement how they feel is best.

Also, maybe my logic is flawed but sitting on a bicycle that is capable of electric power/assist is not breaking any laws that I know of, whatever the power or speed capability. Imo that's like trying to incrimidate any bicycle rider with potential use of gravity for a crime that hasn't even been commited yet.
Perhaps battery was dead or unhooked/not present, motor blown etc . . . . Afaik as long as a bicycle isn't operated over max speed limits and is under any weight restrictions the burden of proof falls on accuser that electric assist was being used 'illegally'. But that's a sidenote because I doubt there's any possibility any ebike regulations are coming into play for this 'fender bender'.

Glad you're ok fellow biker, remember how bad things can be and be careful!

nutspecial said:
Good idea for direct reimbursement. You could still attempt with the driver.

Seems the car just drifted forward and nudged your bike. The bumper height started to trap the wheel. But with proper biking safety (defensive) it appears this should have been easily avoided.
If you're riding on the road with cars I think the standard motorcycle safety courses are very applicable, as well as proper safety instruments like mirrors lights and even a horn.

That said of course the car driver is at fault. I do wonder why you guys didn't immediately disconnect tho- seems like it was left like that for at least several minutes. Around here we're supposed to get fender benders to the side of the road- isn't that the same most places?
The pictures do testify the wheel would be best to be rebuilt and that cost should be persued. Especially if the tire was that flattened but held air for a while after. From the pics I'm personally doubtful there is any damage beyond a pinched tube, but would fully inspect before deciding to continue use if it were me. Then it's up to the bike owner to use the reimbursement how they feel is best.

Also, maybe my logic is flawed but sitting on a bicycle that is capable of electric power/assist is not breaking any laws that I know of, whatever the power or speed capability. Imo that's like trying to incrimidate any bicycle rider with potential use of gravity for a crime that hasn't even been commited yet.
Perhaps battery was dead or unhooked/not present, motor blown etc . . . . Afaik as long as a bicycle isn't operated over max speed limits and is under any weight restrictions the burden of proof falls on accuser that electric assist was being used 'illegally'. But that's a sidenote because I doubt there's any possibility any ebike regulations are coming into play for this 'fender bender'.

Glad you're ok fellow biker, remember how bad things can be and be careful!

Thank you.. I use a mirror but I must have looked away at the wrong second. I tried to move the bike but i couldn't get the lady to understand she had to reverse her car to be able to do so.. even when the cops showed up and told her to back up she didn't really understand why and took a little bit till she did.. she was like in complete shock this had happened and barely said a word. either way i had the local bike shop check it out and they said it seems fine and rim is "true" but they did mention something about a "slight wobble" i have ridden the bike since and don't notice anything of the sort... still it would be nice to not have to worry about anything happening down the line 'just in case'.. and i think your right about the legality aspect. i could have been pedaling it plus i was not in motion when this happened. i think it really was a freak accident do to the sun being at just the right angle as i couldn't even see the color of the traffic light, maybe thats why i wasn't paying as much attention to the rear of me as i should have been.... :/

Back