SoCal Motor Bicycle Race Sat Oct 22nd 2011 Grange Race Track

MotorBicycleRacing said:
picture.php

What a clunker....bet it goes as bad as it looks too...or should i say, cant be raced because it has no rear brake??

KiM

nicobie said:
By chance is the Grange track adjacent to BLM land? If I come I will be bringing a race car and crew. it would be nice if we could do some testing and use the track parking lot as our base. Do they allow overnight parking?

I'm not sure what they call the land around the track. But it is definately a dirt road from the main road for a while, dotted with a couple of houses here and there, and tons of home made trails that I've seen people ripping around on with 4 wheelers and stuff. Not sure what the official rules are in the area, but kinda seems like a lawless place for the most part.

Nicobie, Etard & i are supposed to to some off-roading following the race so I am thinking it is BLM land out there.

Its Etards stomping grounds so he will know for sure....Looking foward to seeing everyone out in the high desert!

I do definately know it is BFN land out there. :lol: :lol: :lol:

nicobie said:
By chance is the Grange track adjacent to BLM land? If I come I will be bringing a race car and crew. it would be nice if we could do some testing and use the track parking lot as our base. Do they allow overnight parking?
As a paying spectator or racer the camping is free on Friday and Saturday night so yes you can leave your vehicles at the track over the weekend and use it as a base.
There are no RV hook ups.
Lots of very good open riding areas.

Since this is pretty close to me I think I'm going to show up and at least spectate/meet people. My bikes are far from racers and I don't wanna break 'em.

9C 2806 24S2P LiPo, Lyen 9 FET, Full suspension BMX/Kids MTB. Top Speed 47 MPH

Sounds like a racer to me. 8) Derfinately faster than any bicycle I have built so far. I can understand not wanting to break it by pushing the limits on a track in a race environment though. It definately would be cool to have you come out to this event. If you can make it, please try to bring your bike, just so we can check it out. I would love to see it.

Jay64 said:
9C 2806 24S2P LiPo, Lyen 9 FET, Full suspension BMX/Kids MTB. Top Speed 47 MPH

Sounds like a racer to me. 8) Derfinately faster than any bicycle I have built so far. I can understand not wanting to break it by pushing the limits on a track in a race environment though. It definately would be cool to have you come out to this event. If you can make it, please try to bring your bike, just so we can check it out. I would love to see it.

I plan to bring at least one, just need to get a bike rack that will work with my car. I've been drag racing a high powered street cars on a drag strip for the last 10 years. I fully understand the difference between street and race and stressing parts and already know neither of my setups would survive a race without some work (mainly ventilating the side covers). I also suffer from back problems so wrecking worries me, but practice laps would probably be OK. I just need to remember to bring my DOT motorcycle helmets, but I lack boots.

Gotta get a hotel too, camping is no longer an option due to pain :(

I really don't think there is any hotel near that area. This track is seriously in the middle of nowhere. Granted, there are some a lot closer than Vegas, but it will be a little bit of a drive to the track. Hope the bike race works out for you. Look forward to seeing you there.

Jay64 said:
I really don't think there is any hotel near that area. This track is seriously in the middle of nowhere. Granted, there are some a lot closer than Vegas, but it will be a little bit of a drive to the track. Hope the bike race works out for you. Look forward to seeing you there.

There are a bunch of hotels on I15 not far from there, I'll find something. Besides I have a car and an E-Bike... I just have to commit to the ~3 hour drive which isn't too bad for a day of entertainment in my dull life.

Our motored bikes are in their infancy, not quite as fast as they'll be in another 3 years. A hi-voltage C-9 would of won the E-class, and placed 3rd, 4th, or 5th in the main at Willow Springs. It would of taken 2nd in the e-class, perhaps 4th, 5th, or 6th at Tucson Death Race, if modded a bit (lg motor wires, open air hub, 12+fet controller).

Wonder what MBR charges for cruising practice laps, but not heats and races :?:

Hotels 10mi off at Victorville.

Jay64 said:
I really don't think there is any hotel near that area. This track is seriously in the middle of nowhere. Granted, there are some a lot closer than Vegas, but it will be a little bit of a drive to the track.
What the hell are you talking about? :mrgreen:

There is a Motel 6 very close to the track and all kinds of restaurants.
Motel 6 Victorville #106
16901 Stoddard Wells Road
I-15/Barstow Freeway at Stoddard Wells Road
Victorville, CA, 92394
Phone: (760) 243-0666

It's only 11 miles to Victorville.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorville,_California

Victorville is a city located in the Victor Valley of southwestern San Bernardino County, California. According to the U.S. Census Bureau's 2010 census, the city had a population of 115,903, up from 64,030 at the 2000 census.

Note that the average high temp in Oct is only 81 degrees.

Also Google maps gives you the wrong directions as Central Rd does not continue
through to Quarry Rd
This is the corrected Google map route from the south. http://g.co/maps/rs8yz

-------------------------------------------------------
These directions are correct

map.gif

Sorry, I guess our definition of close is different. For racing events, I personally feel that 11 miles is pretty far away. My bad.

Jay64 said:
There was mention a while ago that the registration/sign up was going to be posted soon, but it was stated that it was going to be posted on the other site. I tried goin through that thread, but it is pretty long by now. Has it been posted yet? Can it be posted here as well for those of us that aren't signed up for that other forum?
yes, it will be posted here and at the other Motorized Bicycle forums
when i get around to typing it out.

Jay64 said:
is it possible to run a <11 hp bike in the unlimited class?
if our lap times are at least in the competitive range? Sometimes under powered bikes can be over ridden to be similar lap times to over powered bikes. I realize that we won't win it, but it sounds like there is only one rider in that class at the moment. Might make for a more exciting race if there were more people in it. I'm not sure my batteries would be up for it looking at how the schedule is layed out, the ultimate race and then the next race is the unlimited. But I sure would like to try. If I'm driving all the way out from Florida for this event, I would like to be getting as much track time as possible, regardless of my result.
No.
You either run in the 5 motor classes or in the Unlimited Class which
only has one or two bikes and may not even happen and has no heats.

If you want lots of track time get there early on Friday 21st and pay $20
extra directly to Grange Race track to practice on the track all day.

On Sat 22nd You can race in the eBike class and in one of the gas bike classes
too if you have a gas bike that fits in one of the class definitions.

On race day practice can start right at daylight and stops at 9.40 am for a riders
meeting before the heats start at 10 am. First heat is ebikes.

Any other questions I might have missed ask away.......

Zombiess, Your bike sounds fine to race. I have run unvented hub motors in all of the races and even won the e-bike class in Tucson at the Undead Race. My problem has been keeping the tubes from going flat and making sure that I can get to the races on time after cobbling bikes together. The other problem is in timing your charges so you don't run your batteries flat in the main events. Extreme mods have not yet sucessfully won e-bike class to date, so at this point you could be the next class winner! Just show up and play...

Can anyone tell some more details about this event ?
I want to go, as well as some friends, but how much to get in ? Carload or per person?
When would be the best time to spectate a bit, for electrics as well as gas ?
Thanks, I hope it's a fun day !

Spectators are $10 per person.
Camping is free for spectators too Fri and Sat night.

Practice from 7am to 9.45am
Heats start at 10 am and eBikes are first.

It is going to be a jam packed day with two 5 lap heats & a 12 lap final for the 5 motor classes then the Ultimate Race of the fastest from the 5 classes.

There will be some drag racing down the front straight at the end of the day.
It is going to be tough to fit it all in with track action from sunrise to sunset.

At least a couple of fast Mopeds coming and maybe more that will probably race in the Unlimited Class.
MotorBicycleRacing said:
SoCal Motor Bicycle Racing 2011 Grange Racetrack.

Saturday Oct 22nd 2011

Gate opens at 6.00am Saturday for registration.

Sunrise: 7:03am
Sunset: 6:12pm

11 hours track time from 7am to 6pm

Free camping Friday night and Saturday night included with entry.

Grangé Motor Circuit
20455 Central Rd.
Apple Valley, CA 92307

Directions:

15 Freeway North past Victorville.
Take the Bell Mtn / Stoddard Wells Rd off ramp and go East
(There are 2 Stoddard Wells Rd. The second is Bell Mtn )
When you reach Central Rd.
Go South approx 1/4 mile and you are there.

map.gif

We are running the track counter clockwise.

track_aerial_layout.jpg

The grange race is coming up. You still coming w/bikes?

I'll be there. Don't know how many people will be there with me. At least a few, maybe more. I'd like to show rule limited desert buggy racers to look at what can be done with the new lipo and RC motors.

Going to get a banner made and bring it with me.

Endless Sphere forums
:new grin logo:

will ask for permission first :mrgreen:

I'm still planning to come. If I have the right gear by then I'll probably try racing. I'll just have to disassemble the bike and try to fit it in the trunk (both are small, bike and trunk) since no one makes a bike rack that will fit my car without installing a trailer hitch (at least from what I've found).

Got a new front fork, hydraulic disc brake setup, 20" wheel with disc being built now, 12 FET controller, upgraded phase wires to 12 awg and ventilated the covers. It would be a shame to show up and not run it.

zombiess said:
I'm still planning to come. If I have the right gear by then I'll probably try racing. I'll just have to disassemble the bike and try to fit it in the trunk (both are small, bike and trunk) since no one makes a bike rack that will fit my car without installing a trailer hitch (at least from what I've found).

Got a new front fork, hydraulic disc brake setup, 20" wheel with disc being built now, 12 FET controller, upgraded phase wires to 12 awg and ventilated the covers. It would be a shame to show up and not run it.

What type of gear do you need. I got quite a bit of extra race gear. If I got stuff that will fit you, I could bring some of the extras along. Let me know what you need along with the sizes and I'll see what I got for extras.

Jay64 said:
zombiess said:

What type of gear do you need. I got quite a bit of extra race gear. If I got stuff that will fit you, I could bring some of the extras along. Let me know what you need along with the sizes and I'll see what I got for extras.
I appreciate that. All I have now is a MC helmet. I'm going to try and borrow a jacket and glove but no guarantees. I sold off my gear years ago
I'm 6'1 170 lbs. If you give me an idea of the gear you can bring ill try to get whatever I can from friends.

I have a riding jacket that I could bring. It might be a little "fluffy" in the wind. It is Cordura and it is designed with a zip out inner liner for cold weather, so if you take that out it is loose fitting. It will stop actual road rash, but one thing I have found the hard way is that you can get "rug burn" from the inside of your gear if it is too loose fitting and it moves across your skin too quickly in a crash. But rug burn is a lot better than road rash! :lol: I also have a couple of full leather suits that would probably fit you too, if you don't plan to be pedaling anyways, they shouldn't be that bad to wear. I'm 6'0 and I've had a few different ones custom made for me during various weight from 165-185lbs. I'll bring a few different ones and you can have your pic of what fits you best. You don't have to worry about crashing in them, I've put each one on the tarmac at least once, they got some scuff marks, but still really solid. I have a bunch of gloves, but I like to wear my gloves REALLY tight when I race, I once had the palm of my glove bunch up and keep my throttle stuck open when I was trying to break. If medium gloves will work, I have about 4 sets in my gear bag and I can go through some of my other older ones and try and find the loosest pair I have. What kind of boots were you wanting to wear? The rules for this event just say Ankle covering footwear or boots. That would mean that regular high tops are legal.....but I've seen guys grind through their ankle bone, it really sucks. I would recommend at the very least get some high top leather work boots. I have a few different race boots that you can wear if they fit. Size 10. It might make the pedals feel weird, but I got 3 extra pair besides the ones I'm gonna be using. I'll probably bring all of it just in case. If there is some things that you don't feel like you would like to use, see if you can find an alternative, you can try my stuff and use it if you want, if you don't, then you can use the alternative stuff.

zombiess said:
Jay64 said:
zombiess said:
I'm still planning to come. If I have the right gear by then I'll probably try racing.
I appreciate that. All I have now is a MC helmet. I'm going to try and borrow a jacket and glove but no guarantees. I sold off my gear years ago
I'm 6'1 170 lbs. If you give me an idea of the gear you can bring ill try to get whatever I can from friends.
Hi zombiess
Great to see that you are coming.
Thanks Jay for helping him out with some gear.
It's not a real strict race with the gear rules as compared to other events on a track.

Just don't want to see anyone get too banged up if they crash but the emphasis is
on getting people out on the track and having a fun event.

Back