Soneil charger to fit gary&Fetcher BMS

recumbent

100 kW
Is this charger suitable for the bms we build from Gary's plans?

It only goes to 57volts and my battery pack is a 16 cell, 48 v and 12 amp/hrs. Can be seen at www.soneil.com model#4812 sr

It has cc and cv charging, it's light, compact and 6 amperes.

Is it a good choice.

Or find me a better one please price is secondary.

recumbent said:
Is this charger suitable for the bms we build from Gary's plans?

It only goes to 57volts and my battery pack is a 16 cell, 48 v and 12 amp/hrs. Can be seen at www.soneil.com model#4812 sr

It has cc and cv charging, it's light, compact and 6 amperes.

Is it a good choice.

Or find me a better one please price is secondary.

Yes, this is a great charger for use with the BMS board. Inside is a pot that will let you adjust the output voltage up about 5%, or so, which is good. You want the voltage to be about 3.7V x 16, or just over 59V.

-- Gary

My 4812sr has no pot to adjust!!!! I wish to get 48.8 volts out of it. any instructions of what resistor to change to achieve this?

I have a semi-related question, how well would these two chargers work with a 24 cell version of a goodrum/fetcher bms?

http://elitepowersolutions.com/products/product_info.php?cPath=9&products_id=80
This is the official thundersky charger, but it has a 3 stage charge and has overvoltage protection and all other sorts of goodies packaged in...would any of this interfere with the BMS's functions?

And secondly, this is a dumb charger (I think) that would be factory set to charge at 87 volts...any problems here? http://www.bmsbattery.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_18&products_id=117&osCsid=f7b332a751de0b05da459374fc412ad2

thanks!

Affliction said:
My 4812sr has no pot to adjust!!!! I wish to get 48.8 volts out of it. any instructions of what resistor to change to achieve this?

I think your charger should indeed have a pot inside. Look for two tiny square boxes with a yellow plastic screw inside, at the end.

Mine could be adjusted as far as 61 volts, but I set it to 58.9 volts, then after only one week it burnt out and cost me another $60 to fix. Good luck with yours, hope you find the potentiometer inside.

recumbent said:
Affliction said:

I think your charger should indeed have a pot inside. Look for two tiny square boxes with a yellow plastic screw inside, at the end.

Mine could be adjusted as far as 61 volts, but I set it to 58.9 volts, then after only one week it burnt out and cost me another $60 to fix. Good luck with yours, hope you find the potentiometer inside.

there is absolutly no pot in this one. the board revision is 1.1 dated Jan 2009.
This is the 4812sr not the 4808srf.

I have a pair of Thunder Sky TSL chargers and use a V2.3 G/F BMS. The TSL charger is not happy with the throttling and will not finish charging the pack once the BMS starts to shunt. The charger stops multiple times during charging and 'senses' pack condition - and it apparently cannot get the information it needs thru the switching FET. (The 'why' is my guess from observation and might be wrong...but the error condition and incomplete charge is accurate.) The TSL chargers finish the bulk charging stage at 3.62V per cell. There is a resistor mod that can bump charge voltage up about 3.6V. Beyond that, I have no idea how adjustable the chargers are.

It does work well if I connect the charger directly to the pack and use the BMS solely for the shunts.

Andy

jorhyne1 said:
I have a semi-related question, how well would these two chargers work with a 24 cell version of a goodrum/fetcher bms?

http://elitepowersolutions.com/products/product_info.php?cPath=9&products_id=80
This is the official thundersky charger, but it has a 3 stage charge and has overvoltage protection and all other sorts of goodies packaged in...would any of this interfere with the BMS's functions?

And secondly, this is a dumb charger (I think) that would be factory set to charge at 87 volts...any problems here? http://www.bmsbattery.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_18&products_id=117&osCsid=f7b332a751de0b05da459374fc412ad2

thanks!

Back