Steel Ebike Frame EASTGEM ~600$

I've ordered one of these frames so hoping it is reasonable. I noticed on the photos the finish on the rear swing arm doesn't look very smooth and it looks a bit rough and sombody else mentioned about the paintwork finish. the dropouts look quite thin. the website says the rear swing arm is made from carbon.
that orange peel type paintwork looks like it is due to the rough finish quality on the metal not actually the way its has been painted

What formula do you use to calculate the battery space volume of a ebike frame with the dimensions of the frame battery area? 18650 cells are 18mm diameter. ive ordered the gross xl frame. rather use prismatic nmc 3.7v cells than 18650 cells as they are availible in higher capacity so using less cells in parallel has advantages. Could the gross xl frame fit 72v 50ah maybe as a rider has 72v 50ah in a qulbix raptor 160

[/img]
nutspecial said:
I wouldn't worry about the paint. . . Or dropouts. I bet they'll both be fine for ya. D/O 1/4" clamping, all steel frame, and finish is the paint type/application, although yes, it is high hiding and high durability hopefully.

new rear dropout design and looks way better and stronger than the original dropouts. .

12111959_1486597571644229_3436950058294521869_n.jpg

Kinda doesn't look like steel!
Is that the one you ordered?

Ps, I have no formula on battery space, probably just some rough meas and lipo bricks or a premade pack.
Man 50ah seems like alot, but I read the guy from quikbix said they are pretty similar to the older rapter design, so maybe that much would fit.

Keep us posted!

nutspecial said:
Kinda doesn't look like steel!
Is that the one you ordered?

Ps, I have no formula on battery space, probably just some rough meas and lipo bricks or a premade pack.
Man 50ah seems like alot, but I read the guy from quikbix said they are pretty similar to the older rapter design, so maybe that much would fit.

Keep us posted!

Yes. I emailed them and they said i would be sent the frame with the new dropouts design. the frame is being shipped from china to the uk via the united states which seems a bit unusual as the distance is longer. i checked the tracker and it say item has been delivered at front door in the united states. I hope its ok.

Chunder, would you share the link to your frame?

tomjasz said:
Chunder, would you share the link to your frame?

http://www.eastgem.net/gross-frame.html
https://www.facebook.com/denzelbike/photos/pcb.1486599891643997/1486597644977555/?type=3&theater

I emailed supplier and they informed me they sent the wrong tracking number by mistake so disregard last comment

markz said:
Everytime I see that bike, I dislike the fact the BB is so low.
Draw a straight line from rear wheel center to front wheel center and I think you'll see it's not much lower(if at all) than the Vector or whatever you're comparing it to.

nutspecial said:
Well phooey on u then :p
imo it's that the swingarm pivots above-
which is why I prefer the design; for bht under.
. . . .
Nice chunder, I'm interested to see more of that arm revision!

I'll post some pics on here of the frame when it arrives and see if the painwork finish on the rear swing arm has been improved. It looks like it has been on the new dropout version photo. I asked East gem and they said the dropouts can handle Max torque 300 Nm. I'm hoping they make a centre drive motor ebike frame maybe. Downside to hub motor ebikes is heavy weight on the rear wheel and on rough terrain the motor is under load and the dropouts are being stressed by the forces from the motor and also rough terrain vibrations and road bumps. With a centre motor the forces from the motor would be on the frame mount not on the wheel when going over rough off road terrain and lighter rear wheel. belt drive or shaft drive would be great with easily obtainable repalcement parts for when such a frame went out of production

my old klein mantra was easy enough to add the motor to. Three bolts, two brackets; but lengthening the swingarm was also necessary. . . and both did take some time and effort

Yeah, bzh seems to have the only purpose built saleable mid-direct frame, although this eastgem (or maybe raptor) looks like it should receive a bht or similar without (or minimal) d/o mods, and minor or no bht mount mods, so that's pretty close :D

Ps, agreed, watch the centerline of axles to ascertain bb height. A bit higher on 24", and another 1" on 26" for standard height. my klein sits at like 15" though, and I like it except for really nice full range pedal stroke even with long cranks.

I agree the eastgem frame has potential. I'm watching your build to see how nicely the bht fits.
The eastgem carbon fiber frame looks very nice as well, but not so easy to cleanly mount a mid-direct drive.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Denzel-Sparta-Electric-Bike-Frame-Set/32485174763.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.135.L5fDf7&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_4_71_72_73_74_75,searchweb0_0,searchweb201560_9

THe new rear swing arm is carbon fibre and swing arm weight is 1kg so pretty light for a heavy hub motor to be mounted to.

Hi
sorry to ask, what size (mm) seapost and seatpost tightening collar do you use on this frame ? It was not included so not sure if it is a special non standard size.

Someone wanted to know . . .
On mine (all steel) I used a 27.2 (origin8)- http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR8.TRC1.A0.H0.X27.2+seatpost.TRS0&_nkw=27.2+seatpost&_sacat=0
and 34.9 quick release hope left from the shore2- http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=27.2+seatpost&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1311.R1.TR4.TRC2.A0.H0.X34.9+seatpost.TRS0&_nkw=34.9+seatpost+clamp&_sacat=0

Im worried about putting a heavy hub motor on a 1kg carbon swing arm on the denzel frame? A 13-16kg hub motor on a 1kg swing arm doesn't seem a safe idea. my motor is 5kw continous a 8kw peak with motorcycle rim and is nearly 16kg. DO you think its safe?

seller said 16kg no problem and can support upto 300nm torque. A 1kg carbon swing arm is really the same weight as a full suspension downhill carbon mountain bike swingarm. I had hoped for something with heavier layers of carbon for a heavy hub motor ebike swingarm.

You could maybe get the steel swingarm for the bike if you're not happy with the CF,
but I'm thinking it will work for ya, and it looks really cool and light.

I'm not sure when I'll finish mine. It will be an awesome bike I think, but I'm not ready to spend the money for another bht, 18 fet, and batteries. Plus my mantra is fully functional and running great, so I've moved on to finishing my last house to rent/sell in the area, and this rv I'm hoping to make comfortable offgrid.

nutspecial said:
You could maybe get the steel swingarm for the bike if you're not happy with the CF,
but I'm thinking it will work for ya, and it looks really cool and light.

I'm not sure when I'll finish mine. It will be an awesome bike I think, but I'm not ready to spend the money for another bht, 18 fet, and batteries. Plus my mantra is fully functional and running great, so I've moved on to finishing my last house to rent/sell in the area, and this rv I'm hoping to make comfortable offgrid.

I contacted eastgem and asked them if they could make a heavier carbon swing arm than 980grams for frame with more multiple layers of carbon 20k or 50k carbon to make it 3kg weight and they said they will calculate this so hopefully they will do this. this will make it the weight of a motorcycle carbon swingarm and stronger and better than 980 gram swingarm. i think ill use the 980gram swing arm for lighter hub motors only

Hm. As much as I do like a bargain and a good deal, what the Chinese are doing can't be good in the long run.
People, companies and what not put their brain power, time and money into R&D coming up with great products and shortly after similar products show up at various Chinese sites. Often for a price close to the original. Man there must be some really wealthy entrepreneurs growing really fast when they can ship knock offs to us in the rest of the world for a price that is probably 10 - 20 times higher then what they could have gotten on their domestic market. I mean labor cost are still cheap compared to most of the world, they have hardly no R&D costs, they probably do not have a dental plan, pension plan or even overtime to worry about.

Makes me feel kind of ashamed of myself when I do see the crazy in this yet I am not man enough to step aside and shop locally because after all, it is money saved. :oops:

But really we are plotting against western companies with our shopping sprees in China. Not to say that our businesses are fault free, fare from. But the competition from China is getting intense, and they have hardly costs at all compared to western companies - yet they charge pretty much the same for a knock off. Man the Champagne must be flowing like a river down there.

Well that's a whole nother subject- sorry not gonna go there, but maybe more guilt should be assumed in buying/consuming from multnational corps. . . . :cry: I'm told the raptor is very similar, so that could maybe work too- if you're in the market that is. I only suggested this style as a candidate for the motor you're interested in.
Let us know what you go with, I'll be using this frame for my more 'moto' build.

Back