Stinky with 80-100 and Nuvinci. NEXT BIKE Teaser pic inside!

Got a contact for powder coat today! I also finalized the rear sections, all I have left is the front gussets/motor protection and welding. The project is starting some buzz around campus. I had a professor come ask me questions today that he could have only come up with from talking to someone else about it that I had already talked to. What do y'all think so far?

Nice to see it coming along e-racer! Sweet! Thanks for all the good pics!

Only two things:
What is your drive ratio range, voltage and KV going to be?
I have to admit I'm just a little worried about the lipos being unsprung in the lowers...it 'sprung' to me that you should at least lay the cells flat/horizontal?! :)

Maybe look into some sort of shock adsorbing foam padding too?

Later,
Jay

Yes, I love anodized parts as well! If I can find a good contact for anodizing I would definitely do some pieces. This company is going to powder coat anything I want for free (sticker on my bike) :-D

@GITtech I rewound the motor for 88kv and it will be 12s lipo 48volt. The first stage reduction is 10:1. The second stage is the Nuvinci CVT. In the lowest gear it can do 2:1 so the overall ratio is 10*2=20:1. The shift map is tuned right now to hold the motor at 3000 rpm. 0-11mph will happen from 0-3000 motor rpm. Past 11mph the Nuvinci begins to upshift holding the motor at 3000 rpm constant. As you approach the end limits of the CVT the efficiency reduces. There will be a point where it is more advantageous for the motor to begin climbing past 3000 rpm to its 4200rpm max rpm. This is going to be tuned into the shift map :-D gotta love getting to program your drive train to do anything you want it to.

I am building the bike for mainly street usage so I am not concerned about the unsprung weight. I am actually excited to have the weight that low. I expect the entire swing arm assembly to come in >40lbs. This is less than half the weight of a 50cc-150cc gas scooter swing arm, motor, cvt, combo. I am using Turnigy hardcase packs that are supposedly ready for abuse. I will also be mounting them in the swing arm with energy absorbing foam under them.

This is the padding I use. Adhesive on one side foam on the other. They work great!
20120207224957482.jpg

E-racer said:
Yes, I love anodized parts as well! If I can find a good contact for anodizing I would definitely do some pieces. This company is going to powder coat anything I want for free (sticker on my bike) :-D

@GITtech I rewound the motor for 88kv and it will be 12s lipo 48volt. The first stage reduction is 10:1. The second stage is the Nuvinci CVT. In the lowest gear it can do 2:1 so the overall ratio is 10*2=20:1. The shift map is tuned right now to hold the motor at 3000 rpm. 0-11mph will happen from 0-3000 motor rpm. Past 11mph the Nuvinci begins to upshift holding the motor at 3000 rpm constant. As you approach the end limits of the CVT the efficiency reduces. There will be a point where it is more advantageous for the motor to begin climbing past 3000 rpm to its 4200rpm max rpm. This is going to be tuned into the shift map :-D gotta love getting to program your drive train to do anything you want it to.

I am building the bike for mainly street usage so I am not concerned about the unsprung weight. I am actually excited to have the weight that low. I expect the entire swing arm assembly to come in >40lbs. This is less than half the weight of a 50cc-150cc gas scooter swing arm, motor, cvt, combo. I am using Turnigy hardcase packs that are supposedly ready for abuse. I will also be mounting them in the swing arm with energy absorbing foam under them.

This is the padding I use. Adhesive on one side foam on the other. They work great!
20120207224957482.jpg

Ahh, can't argue with that price. :)

Matt

90% sure its 12g. I guess that the saving over using 10g is where the 50% reduction in price comes from :wink: . I use them myself, the cases make it real easy to build larger packs with!

Yep, 12awg 200c silicone turnigy wires.

I had to change out the wires in use on my SC-Maxx to 8awg with 8mm bullet connectors...after I melted the XT-60's that I put on the stock 12awg wires when I first got em.

They have survived through some serious abuse, pulling 100amp burst and 50-60amps constant at WOT on the T600 in the big truck. Not to mention I would rely on the cutoff to limp the thing back to the garage all slow like. . .

I've read 130f on the outside of the pack after a full drain bashing and I don't think the batts are any worse for the wear!

23s9m2p.jpg

25zo5jk.jpg

later,
Jay

Excellent! Thank you. Im.about to make the big battery, wire, bullet order.

Yea I can't think of a better way to build a lightweight motorbike than starting with a dh bike. The stinky is a great platform to build on! Thanks! I can't wait to ride it!

Gusset plate/ motor cover done.
40266115382302117931116.jpg

Cool! :D

Just make sure it's far enough away you don't induce eddy currents. :wink:

Jay

2012021120242729.jpg

20120211215241570.jpg

Dude! :shock: Fast already! :mrgreen:

That says to me: "A kick in the pants!" :twisted:

Looks NICE! 8)

Sweeeet,
Jay

Thanks! I'm really happy with it so far. I cannot wait to get the swing arm welded up!

Yup! :D

Lipo is here!
lipoxy.jpg

unfortunately you really cant trust HK specs. They don't fit upright like the dimensions said they would :-/ guess I'm going to sand down every case just a little bit.

see they fit this way:
20120222142401898.jpg

but not the way they were supposed to which is this way:
20120222142338477.jpg

Also in are:
2012022214280710.jpg

Lastly, I just got the call that my swing arm is welded up. So there is a chance I could have it put together and running this weekend!

Thanks man! I intend on getting footage of the maiden voyage. My friend can even ride my 80-100 goped so we can get some decent shots of my new build from that thing if it can keep up :-D

A really nice concept dude, I hope the nuvinci holds up under the power as folks that have tried this before have had issues with them slipping under load ,be interested to see how you get on :D

Thanks! I'm hoping for the best with the NuVinci. Drewjet toasted his running 7.5kw cont and 15kw bursts. They are rated for 5kw sustained and I'm running a 100 amp controller at 50v so that's 5kw w/o losses. It should hold together, worst case though I can throw a fixed gear setup on it and it'll be fine.

Balance harness 1of3
balasnce1.jpg

Thank you. I made the harnesses(currently making). I'm taking my inspiration from laptops. I will be taping or using adhesive backed foam for most all of the wiring construction/routing. Here is all 3 harnesses ready to be taped to the packs.
3harness.jpg

Back