Stripped Thread on X5303 Motor

RoadShear

1 mW
Does anyone know how to restore damaged freewheel threads on the crystalyte 5303 motor cover?

Suggestions for tools and methods are welcomed.

Thanks

The easiest (but not cheapest) method would obviously be to just buy a new side cover which I am sure you have considered, but being not made anymore it might be hard to track down a spare cover. Might want to try emailing Electricrider.com or ebikes.ca and seeing if they still have any spare covers in stock.

Which model is it, the disc version or non-disc?

If you ever decide to sell your 5303 send me a PM as I would buy it even without the covers if it is the disc version (interested in the stator).

Thanks for the offer to buy it, but I think I am going to keep using it without the freewheel :)
I rarely pedal, but it would be nice to have the pedals working as a backup.

I have replaced the hall sensors, upgraded the phase wires, and changed the bearing on this motor.
Many hours have been put into the motor, so I want to try to fix it this time as well.

Other than that this motor takes abuse like a champ, it's just missing some threads for the freewheel.

I was wondering how difficult it is to re-thread it or whether any special tool is required if I attempt the repair.

It is a champion motor for sure, my favourite of all time. I wish they still made them.

If you took it past a machine shop they could probably machine the thread for you.

Clean cover and freewheel thoroughly then J-B Weld. If you just use your pedals for backup it should last a lifetime.

+1 on epoxy if there's any thread at all to get it on with good alignment. I've attached FW's on the left side that way, so they didn't just unscrew with pedal force.

If you really want a metal only solution, hack the old one off weld a new one on that you cannibalize from an AL rear hub for a nice stronger than new result. Look for a BMX hub with nice thick spoke flanges, and cut it off leaving the thread and the spoke flange to weld to the cover. The same method works for adding a disc brake mount to a motor.

If the threads are only slightly damaged try a thread file.i got mine off a tool truck as part of a thread chaser kit.It even works for both left and right hand threads.
http://www.skygeek.com/general-tools-177-2-thread-repair-file.html

Actually, what really happened was that through an accident I damaged a few starting threads.
This made it hard to level the freewheel parallel with the cover.
After some brute force, I managed to get the freewheel almost all the way in- showing only slight angular misalignment.

It all worked fine until I pedaled hard and now it became locked in with the cover.
Now whenever the motor turns, the freewheel turns with it :shock: This forced me to remove the chain so I don't hurt myself :)

I haven't taken the motor out from the bike yet because it still works very well without the pedals and I hate to be without
an operational bike until I find a definitive and viable solution.

I am suspecting that there might be a great deal of cross threading on the cover.

JBWeld sounds like a neat plan if there are no threads at all where the freewheel would freely slide in.
So I think I will try using the thread files first.

Do you think the thread files will straighten out cross threads?

OK, so the freewheel has bound itself up against the sidecover, so it spins when the wheel rotates....

Your only option is to remove the freewheel by whatever means, John in CR and Buzzfirst's suggestion is genius. Ie, remove the freewheel by any means, then (with a stripped thread), clean really well and then return the freewheel with a bunch of DP or JB weld epoxy (personally I would use the DP epoxy that Doc Bass uses), in my opinion that is the ultimate ghetto solution.

lol.... at this point most likely not. i like the the idea of cutting up another hub myself but try the epoxy first. just make sure its clean, super clean and let it cure thoroughly.

Philistine said:
OK, so the freewheel has bound itself up against the sidecover, so it spins when the wheel rotates....

Your only option is to remove the freewheel by whatever means, John in CR and Buzzfirst's suggestion is genius. Ie, remove the freewheel by any means, then (with a stripped thread), clean really well and then return the freewheel with a bunch of DP or JB weld epoxy (personally I would use the DP epoxy that Doc Bass uses), in my opinion that is the ultimate ghetto solution.

The true ES style is being creative and improvising solutions, so the more ghetto the better for us DIYers.
A ghetto fix that I particularly remember well is Method's epoxy repair to his twisted x5 axle. I like these low tech but reliable repairs with epoxy that I can do without needing fancy tools or access to a machine shop. These fixes are the gems of creativity and source of inspiration for DIYers. I think it takes more cunning and skills to do something this way that would otherwise normally require a special tool.
Gotta love our one of our best friends - epoxy.

Just so happens that I still have some DP420 left after installing Doc's torque arms. I will put that on after I remove the freewheel.
Should be fun to destroy these defunct threads for good :D

Back