• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Strongest seat post rack

electr0n said:
I'm looking for a good seat post rack too. I've got it narrowed down to either the axiom odyssee (the seat post only version) or the delta post porter rack. I'm leaning towards the post porter based on more positive reviews. Are these the two strongest seat post racks available right now?

I don't want to spend too much $$$. Anyone know where I could pick up a good seat post rack from within Canada to avoid brokerage fees ? Any other suggestions?

I bought a cheap used full suspension mountain bike to use as my new commuter but I didn't realize I'd have to spend so much on a rear rack and worry about it snapping off while I'm riding.

I like my Odyssee a lot. Old Man Mountain was also recommended to me once fro FS bikes. They are not seat post racks but mount on the rear swing arm. There are some others that do the same for FS bikes.
-DS

Is that odyssee rack you have the one that only attaches to the seatpost or does it attach at the bottom as well? I can only use the seatpost only version because my frame won't allow for the secondary mounting at the bottom.

Here's how I do it. Using an axxiom rack, plus some metal supports added to create a triangle.Axxiom pannier rack and supports.jpg

I have thousands and thousands of miles on this rack, or others using the same method. The diagonal brace is bolted to the beam of the rack, then bolted to the bottom of the seat tube. It does prevent adjusting the seat height, so get that right first, then add the brace.

Thanks dogman. I did see your solution elseware in the thread and had that in mind. I'm wondering if I can get away with buying a rack locally which is rated for less weight since I'd be modding it anyway. It seems like these rear racks always fail at the same point right where they attach at the seatpost. If I have to order an axiom or the delta rack I'm figuring it's probably going to cost me $80 to $100 after shipping and duties and possibly brokerage fees. My bike only cost me $100 for a crappy canadian tire bike so it seems silly to spend almost as much on the rear rack as the whole bike costs. I already spent another $50 on fenders for it. Oh well I guess I can always move those parts onto another bike later on in the future.

I really wanted a full suspension bike cuz I go up and down sidewalks a lot and it gets bumpy. The front shocks on the bike I got suck. I found out they are elastomer and are basically frozen in the winter and useless so I'll probably get another bike once this one starts to rust away on me but I'm not sure I'd want to modify the frame of a more expensive bike. I may just stick with a hard tail in the future because of the rack issue.

With this mod, I've used some incredibly cheezy seatpost racks, and had no problem carrying 15 pounds. For panniers though, you want the best you can get.

Has anyone tried the Thule Pack 'n Pedal Tour Rack which looks pretty adaptable - downside it is on the wrong side of the suspension Screenshot 2019-05-09 at 12.25.13.jpg

Back