Suitable bike for a MAC 10t installation

suddenurge

100 µW
Hello,

I have recently bought a 2nd hand rear hub 500w MAC 10t motor in a 28" wheel which I intend to run on 48v. I am now in the process of finding a suitable bike to install the motor on. What should I be concerned about when choosing my bike?

For instance a would flat bar bike that already has a disc brake have strong enough rear dropouts to handle this motor or do i have to choose something sturdier, closer to a mountainbike?

I am currently looking at commuter/crosstrail bikes such as Kona splice, Kona dew or GT transeo 3.0, but I am not 100% sure if they will accomodate the motor. The required dropout space to fit the motor is (at least) 135mm.

I would really appreciate some input.

Any bike with a 135 mm rear dropout, and a derailleur gear will work with that motor. Nearly all modern bikes with a derailleur rear gear will have 135mm rear dropout width. The exceptions will be single speeds and some folders.

since it's a 28"/700c/29 er rim, you are a bit limited on selections. ( no 26" bikes) Lots of commuter or comfort type bikes out there with 700c or 28" wheels. But in mountain bikes, the same 700c rim would be called 29er.

So shitloads of bikes still fit your motor wheels rim. What you cant choose is a bike with internal gear rear hub, or 26" rims. When you choose your bike, don't sweat whether it's steel or alloy. The thing to sweat about is how the bike fits you. Pick one that fits your body well. Don't go for a great deal on a frame size too big or small for your body. The whole beauty of the e bike is it makes riding much farther so easy. Shazam! a bike you could tolerate fine for 5 miles, starts to hurt to ride 20 miles. So concentrate on a good fitting bike for you.

One thing I did forget to mention, it gets easier to install a rear torque arm on a bike that has a larger, flat space around the rear axle. Here is my stock picture of one example.Flat space around the rear dropouts.jpg

The extra flat space made it easy to take a stock, affordable, front torque arm, and bolt it to the rear. But if you don't get this, there are good universal rear torque arms at Grin Technology.

Back