• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Tail, brake lights and turn signals (and power for them)?

oldpiper

1 kW
There was another thread, I think about a year (or year and a half) ago about this, but it quickly got hijacked into a "you ain't cool if you run dorky lights" argument, and from then on, everything was major OT.

So, I would like to get recommendations for taillights and/or brakelights, and what you would use for flashing turn signals (front and/or rear). There don't seem to be too many ready-made things out there that are anywhere near affordable. Although at a very early planning stage, I am thinking at this point about LEDs:

rear night/brake lights: something like this, one string for running, the second for braking (?)

9inch-expandable-flex-Display.jpg

and amber LEDs for turn signals ( for example, 6 in this one, I think)

6600003_opr_mcl61as_pri_larg.jpg

At this point, I don't have a good idea about flashing the turn signals.

And one more question, these are all 12V lights, I'm running 36V SLAs, they've got to take a minescule amount of current compared to the bike itself, don't they? If so, could I just hook them up to one of the 12V batts I have on the bike now? Would this work if in the future I go to Li*** batts?

Any and all advice welcomed, whether or not it has anything in common with my present possibilities.

Thanks in advance,

Cameron

Hi I have had good success with using automotive type led brake/marker lights. They are weatherproof and usally well made. and only draw a small amount of current compared to bulb type lights. You can run them from one of your 12v batteries, but if you switch to a 36-72v battery a DC-DC converter is required. Lyen has a great DC-DC converter for $19.00 US that has a adjustable output. I have used those strip led lights and found them flimsy and not waterproof.

Dunno about the strip lights. Some have used similar ones but I don't know how weatherproof they are.

For power, if you are using SLAs then yes you can just tap off of one for 12V, but you'll want to charge that one separately from the others or it will grow more imbalanced over time, as the lights will drain power only from that one.

You could also use a DC-DC converter (bought or built, like the Roman Black SMPS, very simple to build/use (google it)), taking the whole pack voltage to the 12V needed for the lights.

I recommend the latter approach if you're going to eventually go to some other chemistry that doesn't natively come in 12V chunks and/or is easily unbalanced. But with SLA, on CrazyBike2 I did exactly taht approach, powering only from the bottommost SLA, using incandescent turn signals/etc. I eventually went to CFL headlight and taillight, running from full pack voltage plus a laptop power supply in series with it (powered itself by pack voltage). The signals and brake light are still 12V, even now. Blinker is a scooter's electro-thermomechanical one. Brake light is a 3rd brake light LED bar off some car in teh junkyard.

But now that I am using NiMH and LiFePO4, they are powered by a separate 12V NiMH pack, though I'll use a DC-DC as soon as I find a big enough A capacity one (probably form an older big Toshiba; some were 15V at 5A, if I can find one of those....).

On DayGlo Avenger, I first used custom-made LED signals and brake lights, with a CCFL headlight made from a scanner's transparency/film/negative adapter, all running from a little 12V 1.2Ah SLA. The blinker was an electronic one from a ScootNGo at first, then a custom one made from a 555 timer and a transistor. Nowadays it's got a scooter incandescent headlight, motorcycle incandescent turn signals, and motorcycle LED tail/brake light, all running off a DC-DC converter from full pack voltage. Blinker is a electro-thermomechanical one from the same scooter the headlight came from. It's not very efficient with the bulbs, but I have not finished the LED replacement modules.

If you don't mind the huge size, you can get really nice LED taillights and turn signals here:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=326117#p326117
but you will need to either rewire them internally to run on your pack voltage, or get an inverter to provide wall-voltage for them. I GUARANTEE you that people will not be able to say "I didn't see him". :lol:

I just bought 2 of these led flashing amber light sets. They seem bright enough and at $13 including shipping for both they are worth a try.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2x-Car-22-LED-Amber-Strobe-Emergency-Flashing-Light-TR-/400161777423?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2b80270f

Thanks, guys, I'll give it a try with the LEDs. JRitt, are the ones you pointed to 12V? (I figure they are, since it was on eBay Motors) For testing, I'll just tap off of my existing batts, but I think I might just get a 12V rechargable for a Black-and Decker drill (I've got a 12V charger for it). Bionix, I would hope these particular strings are OK, they were on a motorcycle website, and I'd hate to be the dealer if a bunch of guys on Harleys showed up to say they didn't work :oops: , but I'm getting some locally, so I can check them out and return if needed. I just thought a long strip around the back for night/brake lights would be good.

Cameron

Tons of better and better LED stuff appearing in the automotive sections and car parts stores. All 12v of course. Once a guy goes lipo, an extra pack to power 12v stuff would be no problem to carry at all. I've really been eyeing the driving lights for 4x4's. They used to be huge heavy power hungry halogens. Now they have tiny little led's that presumably are bright, and at reasonable prices.

oldpiper said:
Thanks, guys, I'll give it a try with the LEDs. JRitt, are the ones you pointed to 12V? (I figure they are, since it was on eBay Motors) For testing, I'll just tap off of my existing batts, but I think I might just get a 12V rechargable for a Black-and Decker drill (I've got a 12V charger for it). Bionix, I would hope these particular strings are OK, they were on a motorcycle website, and I'd hate to be the dealer if a bunch of guys on Harleys showed up to say they didn't work :oops: , but I'm getting some locally, so I can check them out and return if needed. I just thought a long strip around the back for night/brake lights would be good.

Cameron

Yes they are 12v. I just got mine in yesterday and tested them with a 9v transistor battery and the look good. I also saw an LED running/brake light designed for trailers at the local O'Reily's auto. I am picking one up this weekend. EVassemble also has a nice switch assy for turn signals/headlight and a horn

Back