The 14V Regulator of the moded 4110 mosfet controller.

Doctorbass

100 GW
I willl soon operate my controller to 100.2V with fully charged 2.21kWh pack.

I just wonder if using it at this voltage could cause prematured degradation of the 14V regulator portion of the controller.. like the Transistor or the 3W balast resistor?

Cause i know that the voltage balance is dissipated in heat.. but this is a controller built to oprerate at max 72V.. so the resistor and regulator are calculated with a safety margin .. but does it's enough at 100V.. :?

Does i would need to mod it or if that worked fine for you that use it in these conditions?

Doc

Hey doc,

I've had no controller problem at all ...

I will warn you at a 100v you will put a lot of stress on the motor ... and generate alot of heat!!... and as per the x-lite has no ventalation .. you may want to go easy on the trottle...

refer to my post and the problems i had!!!

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4448&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=steveo

p.s. .. i saw a peek at 7.9kw today on my bike acceleration from dead stop on a 26"

-steveo

Hey Doc, I have sometimes been concerned that the regulator is going to see more voltage than its maximum rated input. Usually there is a power resistor of about 1000 to 1200 ohms feeding the regulator. When you increase the voltage the power resistor sometimes lets through near or more than the maximum for which the regulator is rated. I have done some trial and error and found that going from 33 volts to 66, I usually keep the original voltage to the regulator by replacing the 1100 ohm power resistor with a 1600 ohm unit. To go to 100 volts, you may want to go to 2k.

You are probably smart enough to figure this out using Ohm's law, but I did it by measuring the input voltage to the regulator at 36v with the original resistor, then increasing the voltage and replacing the resistor, first with something way too big, say 2700 ohms, testing the regulator voltage, then using a resistor with a couple of hundred ohms less and testing voltage again. Eventually, I found a resistor that gave me about the same voltage at the regulator that was originally there at 36 volts.

The best way would be to step down in two stages.
First stage would be a simple transistor circuit to limit the voltage input to the regulator.
That way the heat dissipation would be shared between the stages, but it would still function over a wide range of input voltages and load currents.

The problem with a series R is that the regulator gets the full input voltage if the load current is low, and that the minimum start voltage is too high when the load current is high.

Nick

steveo said:
Hey doc,

I've had no controller problem at all ...

I will warn you at a 100v you will put a lot of stress on the motor ... and generate alot of heat!!... and as per the x-lite has no ventalation .. you may want to go easy on the trottle...

refer to my post and the problems i had!!!

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4448&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=steveo

p.s. .. i saw a peek at 7.9kw today on my bike acceleration from dead stop on a 26"

-steveo

Hey Steveo!! That is good to se ethat your controller is alive and that your setup is now working!

Did you needed the component i sent you?.. if so, i'm proud to had helped you by that way! :wink:

7.9kW is .. lol.. just 10x the rated power!.. like 10+hp!.. wow

I am thinking to add a temperature sensor in the motor :twisted: i have one with a small probe.

Doc

Tiberius said:
The best way would be to step down in two stages.
First stage would be a simple transistor circuit to limit the voltage input to the regulator.
That way the heat dissipation would be shared between the stages, but it would still function over a wide range of input voltages and load currents.

The problem with a series R is that the regulator gets the full input voltage if the load current is low, and that the minimum start voltage is too high when the load current is high.

Nick

I think i will try to built a seperate circuit for the 14V section.. i dont want to take any chance to blow all IC on the board and all Hall sensor!

I saw the V2 c-lite controller switching circuit schematics posted on E-S.. that's interesting!
(posted here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3896)

Attachments

• 15V REGULATOR.pdf
    45.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 15V of V2 c-lyte controller switching.pdf
    16.2 KB · Views: 40
Dr. Shock said:
Hey Doc, I have sometimes been concerned that the regulator is going to see more voltage than its maximum rated input. Usually there is a power resistor of about 1000 to 1200 ohms feeding the regulator. When you increase the voltage the power resistor sometimes lets through near or more than the maximum for which the regulator is rated. I have done some trial and error and found that going from 33 volts to 66, I usually keep the original voltage to the regulator by replacing the 1100 ohm power resistor with a 1600 ohm unit. To go to 100 volts, you may want to go to 2k.

You are probably smart enough to figure this out using Ohm's law, but I did it by measuring the input voltage to the regulator at 36v with the original resistor, then increasing the voltage and replacing the resistor, first with something way too big, say 2700 ohms, testing the regulator voltage, then using a resistor with a couple of hundred ohms less and testing voltage again. Eventually, I found a resistor that gave me about the same voltage at the regulator that was originally there at 36 volts.

thanks for your test sharing! i'll look on that..

on the original V1 controller it uses a simple amplified zener to deliver the 15V supply. the 13005 pass transistor is rated for 300V. but you may want to increase the value of R2 to 36K - 2W

rick

Back