The Duty Cycle AWD

i live in SF and can attest, they are steeper and much longer. the hill going up to my house is a 30+ degree slope (58% grade!) according to my iphone. extreme conditions call for extreme measures :wink:

fechter said:
Edit: I just watch the video. Those are some really steep roads there. I though San Francisco was bad, but those look much steeper (and narrower). That thing really moves!

j3tch1u said:
i live in SF and can attest, they are steeper and much longer. the hill going up to my house is a 30+ degree slope (58% grade!) according to my iphone. extreme conditions call for extreme measures :wink:

fechter said:
Edit: I just watch the video. Those are some really steep roads there. I though San Francisco was bad, but those look much steeper (and narrower). That thing really moves!

According to the Guinness book of World Records, the steepest paved road in the world is Baldwin street in New Zealand, and it is only 19 degrees or 35%, so I wonder if this Iphone reading is miscalibrated. The most frequent mistake is to read a grade in percent and report it as degrees, there's quite a difference. There are many streets in the 30 to 35 percent gradient region (including Filbert and 22nd street in San Francisco), but that is indeed a very steep street and difficult to pave. Cement is usually required to handle the situation. There is a short (9 meter) section of Bradford street in San Francisco that is nearly 40% mentioned in Wikipedia. 40% seems to be about the maximum gradient for a short section of street, and 35% the maximum for longer sections.

So if your ebike can avoid stalling at 40% gradient you are well prepared for paved streets. Unpaved is another story.

Back