The Ideal Connectors?

the Deans connectors are very small and lightweight. they rely on a good solder connection to connect the wire and also to hold the wire in place.

it can be tricky to solder large diameter wire to these. the heat required to solder the wir can soften the plastic and the metal parts can move around. to prevent this i usually plug the connectors together and leave them together while soldering. that way one end supports the other.

i like the power-poles. you can solder these intead of crimping. first tin the wire and the inside of the contact. i usually put a little extra into the contact. then clamp the contact in a vise so the open end of the connector is pointing up like a cup. heat up the contact and when the solder flows i plunge the tinned wire end into the contact. this makes for a very solid connection.

the 30A powerpoles can handle a lot more current than 30A. on my old EV Warrior i often pushed 100+ amps at 24V through these and never had on fail. the largest wire you can comfortably fit into the 30A powerpole is 12awg. for 10awg you can use the same body but buy the 45A contacts. the 45A contacts ae open ended and are made of thicker material. the 45A contacts must be crimped on.

there also are 75A powerpoles. but these are huge puppies. phusically about 3 times the size of 30/45A power-poles. they can handle 8awg wire.

rick

Back