Thread for new battery breakthrough PR releases

JAC Motors, a Volkswagen-backed Chinese automaker, is set to launch the first mass-produced electric vehicle (EV) with a sodium-ion battery through its new Yiwei brand. Although sodium-ion battery tech has a lower density (and is less mature) than lithium-ion, its lower costs, more abundant supplies and superior cold-weather performance could help accelerate mass EV adoption. CarNewsChina reports that the JAC Yiwei EV hatchback deliveries will begin in January.

The first EV with a lithium-free sodium battery hits the road in January

I don't know the term SOS here, but..

Sodium ion batteries' claimed lifecycle seems to range between 2000 cycles and 5000 cycles to 80% capacity..
2000 cycles x 200 mile range = 400,000 miles to 80%
2000 cycles x 400 mile range = 800,000 miles to 80%

So, if calendar life doesn't get in the way, one of these batteries could last the lifetime of a car, yeah

QuantumScape's solid-state batteries pass latest test, could offer 500,000 km without range loss

The result was a battery that maintained over 95% of its original capacity. Based on that data, PowerCo states that an EV with a WLTP range of 500-600 km (311-373 mi) equipped with the QuantumScape cells can drive approximately 500,000 km (~311,000 miles) without any noticeable loss of total range.

While the industry-standard targets for solid-state cells in this stage of development are 700 charging cycles and a maximum capacity loss of 20%, PowerCo states that QuantumScape’s solid-state cell blew past those expectations, confirming the developer’s own results outlined in its Q3 letter to shareholders. The energy-dense cells also met or exceeded other test criteria like fast-charging capabilities, safety, and self-discharge.

This tech breakthrough could revolutionize lithium extraction​

This tech breakthrough could revolutionize lithium extraction | GreenBiz
A research team is close to patenting a new technique to extract lithium from brine that could revolutionize the lithium extraction process and potentially cut the production costs of a key component of lithium-ion batteries. ........ A team of researchers from Australia’s Monash University, Australia’s national science agency CSIRO, the University of Melbourne and the University of Texas at Austin have developed a new filtering technology to extract lithium ions from brine. This technology has a much higher recovery rate than current extraction techniques and cuts the extraction process time down to just a few hours from several months to years in current lithium extraction. According to EnergyX, the direct extraction via a membrane technology could extract lithium in a few days compared to 18 months in lithium evaporation ponds. In addition, lithium ponds use 18,000 gallons of freshwater per ton, while the new technology doesn’t use freshwater, potentially saving water resources in lithium brine-rich areas such as the so-called lithium triangle in Chile, Argentina and Bolivia. In price comparison, the direct membrane filtering of lithium, the so-called lithium refinery, costs half the cost of lithium evaporation ponds, EnergyX says.

24M ® Introduces ImpervioTM — a Separator Technology That Delivers Unprecedented Safety Improvements for Lithium Batteries - Batteries News

While lithium-ion continues to be the preferred battery chemistry, it’s been plagued by safety challenges, including the formation of dendrites — metal structures that can build up on the anode surface potentially shorting the battery cell, which can lead to fires. The 24M ImpervioTM technology prevents this with a fail-safe approach to battery safety by:
  • Dendrite prevention: Starts at the source with a proprietary separator technology that impedes the growth of dendrites.
  • Early fault detection: 24M ImpervioTM continuously monitors the cell and can detect a potential short before it occurs and enables a safe discharge and shutdown of the individual battery cell. This will also prevent the mass recall of products by pinpointing defective products and recalling only those.
  • Integrates with lithium-metal and conventional lithium-ion batteries: 24M ImpervioTM offers the same safety benefits for conventional lithium-ion and lithium-metal cells as it does for 24M SemiSolidTM cells.

Last edited:
There's a lithium sulfur battery maker in Australia? interesting..

https://batteriesnews.com/li-s-energy-shares-tour-of-10m-phase-3-battery-production-facility/

Li-S Energy shares tour of $10m Phase 3 battery production facility​

The facility, in Geelong Victoria, will allow the us to scale up manufacturing of our lithium sulfur and lithium metal batteries, to enable advanced cell performance testing and the delivery of test and trial cells to current and future partners.

We expect to provide further updates as commissioning continues, and to commence producing the first cells from the facility in the first quarter of 2024.

Amprius adds another chemistry to the line of light weight silicon family of batteries to the lineup. Claim to be delivering flatpack and cylindrical cells now.

There's a lithium sulfur battery maker in Australia? interesting..

“Li-S Energy is pleased to announce that the commissioning of the manufacturing equipment in its $10 million Phase 3 2MWh production facility is now well advanced. “​

2 MWh ?..is only a pilot/ preproduction facility.
LiS are supposed to be already supplying cells for use in Janus EV Semi truck production which have a swapable 600+ kWh pack with multiple back up packs in charge/swap facilities.
2MWh would hardly provide 3 of those packs, and there are already 4 of those semi units on the road ?
I guess its a small step in the right direction, but i fear at that rate , they will be swamped by some of the big boys in the battery game.

On a more down to earth note..

It looks like we're going to see at least 5.3ah 21700's from major asian cell makers this year.. i've seen at least one datasheet.

Panasonic also saying they have a density increase coming in 2024 or 2025 that is significant enough to change the economics of EVs..... unfortunately scant on details but Panasonic is not one to BS around on batteries.
Panasonic to Make Upgraded Electric Car Battery as Early as 2024, for Tesla - Batteries News

With so many different chemistries coming out in a short time i feel a little sheepish about buying a completed battery pack today because it may be outdated in a few months.

Good that we finally have some velocity after a long period of stagnation in batteries.

MIT enters in an agreement with Lamborghini for use of new chemistry. "bis-tetraaminobenzoquinone" is the compound they are using to replace cobalt. Claim over 700wh/kg and high c rates.

Last edited:
Wow! wouldn't have expected a 700whrs/kg battery so soon on this timeline.

Betting that it's crazy expensive ATM and that's why Lamborghini got involved, not toyota.. 😅

On a more down to earth note..

It looks like we're going to see at least 5.3ah 21700's from major asian cell makers this year.. i've seen at least one datasheet.
I just noticed listings on 18650batterystore for 6000mah and 5600mah cells. No inventory though. Havent seen anyone post testing of them or anything. Thoughts? Vapcell F60 21700 6000mAh 12.5A Battery
With so many different chemistries coming out in a short time i feel a little sheepish about buying a completed battery pack today because it may be outdated in a few months.
I feel like this is going to be true for a while, ditch the FOMO, buy one and enjoy it.

I just noticed listings on 18650batterystore for 6000mah and 5600mah cells. No inventory though. Havent seen anyone post testing of them or anything. Thoughts? Vapcell F60 21700 6000mAh 12.5A Battery

I've yet to see a cell advertise that density that isn't unobtanium. So i looked into it.
Japanese battery makers have 5.3ah 21700's coming and EVE has 5.8ahs..

Found some tests by googling the cell name. I'm actually surprised, it is said to deliver 6ah at a super low C rate.
Source: Bench Test Results: Vapcell F60 - 12.5A 6000mAh 21700

1707801027900.png

..actually pretty impressive, i'm surprised that's even achievable, but i would personally not build an ebike battery with something other than a top name cell ( better safety )

Some things of interest..

Tesla buying equipment from CATL... it sounds like they're gearing up to produce some lifepo4..
Tesla to Open US Battery Plant With Equipment From China’s CATL - BNN Bloomberg

Also some talk about the next generation of Tesla packs for ~2025
Tesla's Next-Generation Battery EV Platform Will (Hopefully) Launch In 2025, Musk Says - Batteries News

Amprius launching some new 400 & 500whrs/kg cells 😳
Amprius Broadens Product Portfolio with New Commercially Available Silicon Anode Battery Platform – SiCoreTM

Amprius Technologies, Inc. (“Amprius” or the “Company”) (NYSE: AMPX), a leader in next-generation lithium-ion batteries with its Silicon Anode Platform, today announced its all-new SiCoreTM product platform, an expansion of its product portfolio of industry-leading silicon anode batteries targeted to revolutionize electric mobility. In addition to this SiCore product platform, Amprius has also branded its existing silicon nanowire platform SiMaxxTM with its current product range of up to 500 Wh/kg and 1,300 Wh/L energy density.

The new SiCore batteries are based on an innovative, proprietary silicon anode material system delivering high-energy-density silicon anode batteries that surpass state-of-the-art graphite cell performance today. The new silicon anode cell chemistry is designed to offer high energy density, up to 400 Wh/kg, and long cycle life, as many as 1,200 cycles at full depth of discharge.

Who do i need to bribe to get my hands on these? :mrgreen:

Not news exactly but it looks like the cost of lithium crashed lately from it's pandemic high.

1707802161558.png

Could be that the price of lithium batteries will continue to come down.. especially since they may have to compete with sodium ion batteries this year.

Amprius mentioned that they were focusing on the commercial air market for the time being. Suggesting possibly that they were a bit expensive. They are well into the build of their new big factory in Colorado so they may have some consumer cells a few years out if we are lucky. Unfortunately for us with folks like Joby are well underway (They just received FAA maintenance cert) to setting up air taxi service in a few markets, may keep current capacity fully absorbed. Lots of other folks snapping up what crumbs are left for their flight equipment as well as the gov contracts that have been taking a good chunk.

CATL is onto the LMFP now. Li - Nickle Manganese Iron Phosphate that runs at near the same voltage as the Li ion. Cheaper, non burning and can charge - discharge fast and no risk of fully charging-discharging deg.. I am hoping Tesla will roll some into 4680 format. They are setting up a building for lines in Nevada at the moment. No word on the format they plan to make. Home storage, Megapack, Semi and automotive apps are potentially slated.

Once they get the Silicon doping dialed in, many are estimating a potential near doubling of capacity. Possibly a more important factor is the cost. Tony Seba was widely panned when he first went public with his predictions. In my book, he is panning out to be a current Nostradamus. The "curves are like gravity".

projected-battery-cost.jpeg

MIT enters in an agreement with Lamborghini for use of new chemistry. "bis-tetraaminobenzoquinone" is the compound they are using to replace cobalt. Claim over 700wh/kg and high c rates.

Again, it's 730Wh/kg on the cathode.

For reference, NMC811 has a cathodic energy density of 700Wh/kg at 4.2V.

Possibly a more important factor is the cost. Tony Seba was widely panned when he first went public with his predictions. In my book, he is panning out to be a current Nostradamus. The "curves are like gravity".
Im suspecting those are predicted manufacturing costs ?
I have yet to see anything like those costs for commercially available, new, branded cells .

Those are predicted manufacturing costs from 2016 ( before profit )

Back