Tig welding looks iffy, pictures incl.

recumbent

100 kW
I was wondering if this welding on the crank was too hot and not enuf wire feed.

I never did this kind of welding and not sure how strong it is.

The crank area is the worst, the rest looks good, what do you guys think?

Attachments

• Tig welding.jpg
    Tig welding.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,597
Here is another example of the rear triangle area.

:? the tire in the background is from another bike behind.

Bet you never seen a rear triangle plate of this design, what do you think?

BTW this is the same bike as in my avatar.

Attachments

• tig welding 002.jpg
    tig welding 002.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,559
Looks pretty good to me, and definitely better than the MIG welding I did on my trike.

The welds on the bottom bracket shell do look as if they were a little hot, but as long as there's no major undercut (notches either side of the weld bead), there shouldn't be any problem. It's hard to tell with it all painted. Did you purge the pipes with gas before welding? It's not absolutely necessary, but it can help to give a cleaner root.

Nothing beats the hammer test – preferably on some pieces of scrap tube of the same wall thickness.

Sometimes ugly welds are strong, and sometimes pretty welds suck. I've done enough of both to know.. :)

Lowell said:
Do you have some better pics of the welds?

Yes, i can take more pictures of different weld locations.

I'll take the pictures tonight, at different angles so you guys can see it better.

Most of the welds look absolutely perfect,(which i'll also post) but a couple spots, well, i just don't know.

What material is the frame made of?
Branded (Columbus, Reynolds, etc.) steel tubing?
4130 chrome-moly steel?
6061 Aluminum?
7075 Aluminum?
Something else?

Here are some more pictures, but it was too dark in the garage, will do some close-ups tomorrow.

The material is 4130 chr-moly.

Here's another shot.

Attachments

• tig_weld_.jpg
    tig_weld_.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,390
Years ago I did alot of TIG welding, had Cert's in 8 area's but all of them were welding on the level (not overhead,or vertical) It just takes a lot of practice.
Some of your welds look great, if the metal is too hot you will get undercuting, too cold blobing- not smooth. You have to preheat at the start (using the torch in a stop mode) start adding filler rod (triple de-gassed, or what ever it called now) keep rod in argon flow after adding a dab, allow to flow out to desired fillet,when the tubing gets too hot, stop, keeping argon flooding area, let cool a little -or go to a different area- before going on, try to rotate work to always staying close to level when you can, it's harder to keep weld perfect when going vertical or overhead.

To get a perfect flow/bead inside of tubing, block ends of all tubes,( aluminum foil wired on, or stuffed inside) constant small flow to purge inside with argon.

I have finished a vocational college course in welding GMAW(MIG), stick, spray, flux-core in all position. Except vertical and overhead spray since that was impossible. Though different from GTAW (TIG), Those welds look fine. Seems like whoever did the crank jumped out of the puddle a few times and has a slight bit of undercut but it looks solid.

I can't see it too clearly but look for "pits". Clear sign that the welder jumped out of the puddle . These are the weak points. Even if there are a few "pits", if there is good fusion, the metal around the weld would be more likely to fail before the weld itself. Also, I was taught to never stop/start on corners. Look if the welder stopped at the corners. This can be easily seen by the lack of unity in the beads. Hope this helps.

Back