Tight build + plans

HAL9000v2.0

10 kW
THis is my latest but most PITA build so far. It looked simple when lady next door asked if I can make her Kona electric. I wasn't suspicious even when she told me that she was in local ebike shop and they told her the bike is to small for all boxes they have. So after few weeks here it is: Small 17" Kona cinder cone with 48V10Ah +controller+bms inside frame triangle. Yes some grinding off headways was needed but only 3mm from minus pole.. :mrgreen:
There are only two wires one from motor and one from throtle. (I have to make some custom throtle too because of rapid fire shifters)
Box is made from 0,8mm thick (~PI/100" <--- for those who don't speak metric :D ) high tensile steel. Find attached dxf files of thr box. You can easy cut it from steel plate then bend at 45° by all lines, some small welding at the corneers, drill holes, paint and voila....

[youtube]3YFRQ0MYFrE[/youtube]

Photo0037.jpg

Files description:
Kutija.dxf - cutting line for box
Poklopac.dxf - cutting line for cover
Kutija-linije-piganja.dxf - bending lines for box
Poklopac-linije-piganja.dxf - bending lines for cover

Attachments

• KONA-KARMEN.zip
    403.5 KB · Views: 104
wow, looks very professional. would love some details as I'm trying to build a battery box myself.
how did you mount it to the frame?
how did you cut the steel into such a complex shape?
does the lid have a way to keep water out like a gasket or something?
mig welded the edges?
sorry for all the questions, but I'm working on a box in aluminium right now and after seeing this I want to scrap it and buy a sheet of steel and copy yours :mrgreen:

mud2005 said:
how did you mount it to the frame?
With screws for bottle holders 2 on downtube 2 on seat tube. I also put some double adhesive band betveen box and frame.

mud2005 said:
how did you cut the steel into such a complex shape?
CNC laser cutter :evil:
But I think you can do it with scissors without problems.

mud2005 said:
does the lid have a way to keep water out like a gasket or something?
No gasket. I applied some silicone before closing.
It is not watter tight just drip-proof...

mud2005 said:
mig welded the edges?
Yes.

mud2005 said:
sorry for all the questions, but I'm working on a box in aluminium right now and after seeing this I want to scrap it and buy a sheet of steel and copy yours :mrgreen:

Aluminium is better but here was 1/100 of mm that counts to fit in so I decided to go with steel. When I did some analisys the aluminium should be around 1,5mm so basicly some 30% lighter but allmost 300% more expencive. You have to ask yourself: "Will I pay XXX$ to have 0,25kg lighter box?"

Beautiful work Hal! I love it!

What motor is it?

9c?

I used fiberglass for mine, dunno how much it weighs but it was quite labor intensive to make:

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11493

nice build Hal 8) very stealth.
Has your neighbour ridden it yet?
by the way, how would you feel about a custom frame build? :twisted:

D

thanks for answering all my questions, I usually get an email when someone replies to a topic I've posted in.
I didn't get any email this time so I'm glad I noticed this thread today.
what's up with that? anyone else not getting emailed about topics they've replied to?

HAL9000v2.0 said:
I didn't know that there is an option of email.
Where do I turn that on?

My gaaaawd Hal :-| LoL..in your control panel/board preferences/notify me of replies by default....Subscribe to the thread you want to be notified of updates on and you will recieve email when anyone replies Hal

KiM

Back