Tom's BEAST

Trust me, they all do this to us!!

It works!!

Just went for a few mile run on it - shortened the chain and added spring tension a few days ago but didn't have time due to composing work to take it out.

Can't wait for the weekend - trails here we come. Idontwanttopedal & I will go for a spin.

Videos to come...this is for me to enjoy right now :p

T

Glad to here lostrack! :D

You guys should take a camera with you! I wanna see..I wanna see! :mrgreen:

Have fun,
Jay

Great job! I knew you would get it!

FIRST VIDEO ON PAGE 1.

YAY. I love it.

Thanks everyone for help and support - and to Matt for his awesome drives, and Jozztek for the electrics help. The learning curve has been vertical!

[youtube]BbRV_1kf2j0[/youtube]

Awesome video !!! Looks like you have a great snow machine. I wish I was there with my bike to
play in the snow with you. The motor and setup sounds great. The bike has lots of power. Well done.

Well done m8, great job. Sounds pretty quiet on the video..

Steve

Cool.

Took a longer ride on it today, got up to 35mph, it's not hard...there's so much power in this thing I believe it could easily get to 50+ without breaking a sweat. Its just gearing.

Hard on the throttle for 30 mins and the CC hv160 was touch cold, and the motor barely reached 74f. It is around 5deg C ambient.

These Astros aren't really that good for road use. To be honest I feel like a tit riding on the road on a full face making that whine. If I was building a commuter I'd get a hubbie, or refit a golden motor aka Luke.

Making a carbon fibre box this weekend, hope to make it dirt-proof.

T

Hey

Hmm shame your finding the noise to be a problem :? I think you should stick it out though, hubbies are fine for commuting however you wont beat your bike for off road stuff esp as you like getting a bit of air and you like the handling, trick is have 2 bikes, make another bike and make your carbon battery box quickly hot swappable between the bikes :) looking forward to seeing what you do 8)

AWESOME Lostrack!!! :shock:

I'd love to be rippin' around like that! :twisted:

My build is coming along..just got a bunch of parts in the mail. Now I can start CAD'ing them up so I can place the order for the custom swingarm from farfle.

I can't wait to join you!

BTW: I like the batt cover, I think you should keep it! :wink:

Oh, and is the popping sound I hear in the vid your chain jumping?

Later,
Jay

knoxie said:
Hey

Hmm shame your finding the noise to be a problem :? I think you should stick it out though, hubbies are fine for commuting however you wont beat your bike for off road stuff esp as you like getting a bit of air and you like the handling, trick is have 2 bikes, make another bike and make your carbon battery box quickly hot swappable between the bikes :) looking forward to seeing what you do 8)

#Hey Knoxie :)

Noise isn't really an embarassment, it's more the fact that it's gearing limited to 30, so when you're screaming full throttle on a road, it's just embarassing to have this noise without reason...to put it in context I can and do pedal around that speed on my roadbike as a daily commute, so it feels a bit unnecessary. I'm hopefully changing the gearing to a 70 tooth, so I'll get a better top speed. Plus room to manouvre with speeding cars.

Funny that pedalling seems safer than ebiking. I think its the legs-moving factor that draws drivers attention.

GITech said:
AWESOME Lostrack!!! :shock:

I'd love to be rippin' around like that! :twisted:

My build is coming along..just got a bunch of parts in the mail. Now I can start CAD'ing them up so I can place the order for the custom swingarm from farfle.

I can't wait to join you!

BTW: I like the batt cover, I think you should keep it! :wink:

Oh, and is the popping sound I hear in the vid your chain jumping?

Later,
Jay

Yeah, popping is chain jumping, Still haven't nailed the chain tension yet, but most of the time it feels really good to have that power and a smooth rear end. I can imagine a fatass hub motor making everything so difficult to handle.
You can still pedal it to around 10mph...15 you'll break a sweat and bounce all over the place!

Need to uprate the back spring.

Are you in the UK?

I'm building some proper mudgards doubling as battery protectors, every video I make ends up getting the camera lens covered in muck!

ahh cool I was thinking that you might be loosing faith for a minute! your bike is great and is looking like a solid contender IMHO :D you can of course still use hub motors for off roading as the bombers do with great effect however the pure thrust of a powerful geared system is great off road esp up hills.

Yes my buddy cycles at 30mph on his road bike on the flat, I had a bit of fun with them last year check the video :mrgreen:

[youtube]dzdw6d3xKpg[/youtube]

lostrack said:
Yeah, popping is chain jumping, Still haven't nailed the chain tension yet, but most of the time it feels really good to have that power and a smooth rear end. I can imagine a fatass hub motor making everything so difficult to handle.
You can still pedal it to around 10mph...15 you'll break a sweat and bounce all over the place!

Need to uprate the back spring.

Are you in the UK?

I'm building some proper mudgards doubling as battery protectors, every video I make ends up getting the camera lens covered in muck!

Maybe the wet and/or even snow turned to a film of ice on the sprocket/chain is contributing to the slip?!

I'm not in the UK, though I really wish I was! There are several places I would rather live than the US. This place is a joke! Most people here are sheep and selfish, brainwashed, childish bullies. If you know what I mean. And as a side effect our laws, policies, taxes, ..well everything is quite F'ed-UP...! I need asylum from this evil hell hole. :evil:

Smile and wave! :roll: :lol:

Later,
Jay

Some very exciting developments...

have enlisted some professional help!

Bobc has come up with this brilliant plan for a chainring which has a better suited tooth count, and some keeper plates for the chain skip. Thanks BobC!!!

68assy800.jpg

And we've been back in the workshop - forming some carbon fibre today.... no sneak previews until it's done. Needless to say carbon fibre is awesome and cool and every grown man's dream. Thanks MOS FURNITURE! (google him)

caboning800.jpg

Just got the parts from the laser place, didn't get the price yet as the man who deals with that wasn't there.....
One of the keeper plates has moved a fraction (about 1mm) during the process - first time I've seen that happen - it's usable as is, maybe better if attended to with a file... I'll mark it so you can decide what to do. I'll fettle the teeth tonight & post it tomorrow.
I'd post a picture but it looks just like a nicer version of the CAD file above...... ;^)

bobc said:
Just got the parts from the laser place, didn't get the price yet as the man who deals with that wasn't there.....
One of the keeper plates has moved a fraction (about 1mm) during the process - first time I've seen that happen - it's usable as is, maybe better if attended to with a file... I'll mark it so you can decide what to do. I'll fettle the teeth tonight & post it tomorrow.
I'd post a picture but it looks just like a nicer version of the CAD file above...... ;^)

Awesome, can't wait. It's like Christmas!
Are the plates not symmetrical, you mean? I've filed Alu before, can't imagine steeel will be easy... maybe worth a trip down to the ironmongers who have a lathe?

nah it's just as though the 4mm bolt holes have shifted a touch. It bolts up OK & exact position of the keeper plates isn't any sort of issue so I don't think you'll have any trouble. I'll assemble it OK for 1/4" chain & you can adjust to taste (+ maybe you'll want to use stainless screws & nylocs ;^)
It's in a box ready to go now - PM me your address, urgent (I'm away on business for 2 days as of tomorrow)
PS - it might work OK without the keeper plates - would be quieter and lighter - if you want to try it....?

A few updates..

New rear sprocket (*THANKS!* designed by BobC) and new carbon batt box. The box isn't together yet as due to a manufacturing underestimate...the pedals don't clear it!

Got some Gustav M brakes, they need a bit of tuning in but feel quite beefy.

I will have to get a new BB and cranks. Might consider some freewheel crank action...

photo1.JPG

photo3.JPG

photo2.JPG

...yes, the battery box clears the sus @ full travel.

...yes, it looks loose (because it's not attached yet)

bobc said:
Looks cool Tom - have you run it yet? chain run OK? any tendency to skip/fall off?

I'm having trouble with the carbon box I made - it grew in the mould slightly and there's not enough clearance to pedal. I'm already running one of the biggest BB's in existence (100mm shell, 143mm spindle). Right now I have to think my way out of this until I can ride it :(

I think you can get 153mm BB's (which would clear it) but the shell is only 68mm so it would hide inside the frame hugely...might not even screw in.

Any ideas?

footpegs? ha no seriously maybe you could get some extension pieces made for the bottom bracket? is it a std old spec spline or the new type, you can get 2 piece bottom brackets that screw together on the inside i.e they dont even use the threads in the frame, they may do them at that length? I will see if I can find where I got mine from I used one on my Proflex as the threads in the frame were shot, nice work on the carbon box btw :D

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/prestine...et-for-frames-with-damaged-threads-prod16505/

You could get one of these, they will clamp up to 110mm you could then take the shaft out of it cut it in the middle and extend it or maybe see if a std taper axle would fit in there? maybe weld a lump in the middle or drill 1 normal 1 reversed thread in either end, although considering the jumps you do it may be safer to make a new battery box :?

Back