Top mounted automatic connectors for removeable batteries

Have anyone seen batteries with automatic quick connectors at the top of the battery instead of at the bottom?

Like when you lower the battery into a hole under the seat of an electric e-bike some might have a connector at the bottom of the battery and hole.

But i was wondering if there are some connectors that does the same at the top so perhaps it would be easier to convert a battery with manual connection into automatic connections at the top (the lid) of the battery.

So the battery would be lifted up into the cradle, and hang from the cradle/connector?

Seems potentially stressful for the setup, would need to be built and designed to handle more load than the drop-in ones. Might be easier to keep water out of.

chuyskywalker said:
The Reention Dorado series of battery cases work like described.

Seems like Reention Dorado might be inserted at an angle.
I meant lowering the battery straight down into a hole that is closed on all sides except the top.

amberwolf said:
So the battery would be lifted up into the cradle, and hang from the cradle/connector?

Seems potentially stressful for the setup, would need to be built and designed to handle more load than the drop-in ones. Might be easier to keep water out of.

Battery is lowered down inside the hole under the seat.

scootergrisen said:
Battery is lowered down inside the hole under the seat.
Then no automatic connector on the top of a case could work automatically.

You would have to manually connect it, defeating the point of an automatic connector, since you'd have to disassemble the cradle for the automatic connector the battery case's connector would plug into, and cut it off, then leave it hanging by it's wires, that you would then plug in by hand each time and unplug by hand each time.

It would be simpler and cheaper and more weather-resistant to just use a top-mounted cable-connector.

So I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. Perhaps you can draw some diagrams or explain in more specific detail?

I'm not trying to accomplish anything I just want to see what exists with automatic connectors that sits at the top of the battery instead of bottom.
Having to connect/disconnect the battery connector manually gets tiring after a few hundred times doing it.
I kind of prefer to keep it somewhat original so i dont think i would like having to make a hole at the bottom of the battery case.
vga_vax_15.jpg

Why not just take an automatic bottom connector and put one side on the top of your battery, one side on the bottom of your lid, and use the force of closing and locking the lid to replace what gravity usually does to connect the two?

I know I have like a half dozen mounting plates for silverfish battery automatic bottom connectors laying around after a year of having a bike using those:
PXL_20220827_142616145.jpgPXL_20220827_142611101.jpgPXL_20220827_143703349.jpg

lnanek said:
Why not just take an automatic bottom connector and put one side on the top of your battery, one side on the bottom of your lid, and use the force of closing and locking the lid to replace what gravity usually does to connect the two?

That is what i want to see.
And other solutions like that happening at the top.

FWIW, if the plug on the manual cable goes straight into the battery, you could just build a mount that fastens that onto the bottom of the compartment's lid to keep it aligned with the battery's connector, so that when you close the lid it plugs the battery in, and when you open the lid it disconnects the battery. Then you don't have to change anything on the system at all except adding that mount and fastening the existing cable and plug to it (and possibly lengthening the cable to be able to reach the point on the lid it has to mount, if the cable is not already that long).

scootergrisen said:
I'm not trying to accomplish anything I just want to see what exists with automatic connectors that sits at the top of the battery instead of bottom.
Having to connect/disconnect the battery connector manually gets tiring after a few hundred times doing it.
I kind of prefer to keep it somewhat original so i dont think i would like having to make a hole at the bottom of the battery case.
vga_vax_15.jpg
If you'd posted that picture and description to start with, I would have been able to understand what you were trying to do (accomplish) and suggested something like Inanek just did. ;) (explaining exactly what you want to do and showing what you have to work with is the best and easiest way to find a way to do what you want, so in future you might consider doing that first, when starting out a new question ;) )

Remember that none of us knows what you have in mind or what your stuff looks like unless you tell and show us.

The hassle in doing this at the top is in the rotation of the top swinging down -- specifically you can't just have straight pins on the male/female side, they have to support some level of extra width to account for the swing.

Every version of a top-drop battery I've seen uses a cord to reconnect.

Depends on the placement of the connector, and the specific pin type and socket shape used, and the hinge design of the compartment lid.

Many connectors have significant slop in them just so typical contact misalignment doesn't result in contact damage and still makes connection (guiding the pins into the sockets by the shape of the outer end of the socket and the tip of the pin).

Hinges and lid designs may also have significant slop, allowing for manual alignment as it is closed to ensure contact alignment.

Not being able to see the specifics of the connector currently used, I couldn't say if the existing one is useful for this purpose...but if it's like many connectors I've dealt with it has a good chance of working as-is.

chuyskywalker said:
Every version of a top-drop battery I've seen uses a cord to reconnect.

Gogoro has connectors at the bottom and the seat holds the battery down.
Yamaha Neo's has the connectors on the side at the bottom but you manually has to close/open the spring loaded lock mechanism that holds the batteries down.

Battery connectors on the botton is the worst idea ever. You may change the connectors every week due to meltdown. Both battery and bike connectors suffers a lot of stress and vibration. The battery slot should be very tight otherwise friction may occur, but it will get loose anyway and meltdown/damaged connector will happen for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_20221112_082921_901.jpg
    IMG_20221112_082921_901.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_20221112_082857_981.jpg
    IMG_20221112_082857_981.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_20221112_083010_012.jpg
    IMG_20221112_083010_012.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 311
Some of the flat four prong connectors have enough slop that closing the lid would still work. Like with this one the lid could cause it to swing in through the top and the open side:
-10998587662021917087.jpg
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLTcnBa

Back