Transplanting Crystalyte Controller/Ebike

johnnyz

1 kW
Hi there

I initially started this as another post. I bought a new ebike (Motorino XMR), and decided to modify it. I started with the batteries, pulling the SLA's out of it (72 volt 6 sla =100 lbs)
View attachment 3

This saved about 75 lbs when I put 24 Headway cells. The bike pulled much better and gained another 3-5 kms per hour. ( 55 KPH with SLA, 60 kph with Lifepo4).

I decided to swap out the stock controller for my Crystalyte unit which can pull 65 amps. newold.jpgAll hall and Phase wires were the same color.
Before hooking up the Crystalyte controller I plumbed in a 5 amp fuse between it and the controller. When I set the breaker in the bike it kept blowing fuses.
I attributed this to the capacitors in the controller, so changed to a 35 amp fuse. All well...light came on the controller and the Cycle analyist was working.
I then decided to test the stock throttle with the wires in the controller. Got the Positive, Negative and signal wire from the C Controller (Black=negative Yellow positive and Green=signal). When I hooked up the red wire from the throttle to yellow on controller and black on the throttle to black on the controller I got 4.8 volts. So far so good...there were 2 more wires from the throttle wiring...one purple and one grey. When I hooked up the purple and twisted the throttle nothing happened...when I twisted the throttle with the grey it changed from 2.04 to 2.07 volts..I hooked it all up getting color sequence halls from C Controller to the halls going to motor and color coded phase wires to phase coming out of controller. Turned on power and then turned on controller...nothing at first and then half twistand motor runs smooth but stops..then when I released the throttle...it would run for sec and then stop and then repeat..testing.jpg

I decided to test my Crytalyte throttle with the controller and of course when the signal wire was probed the voltage changed from 2.5 to 3.5 when I twisted the throttle. I decided to test all combinations of halls and phase wires with my C throttle. After 3 hours...nothing...no combination worked..
halls.jpg

If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated...This bike uses a sine wave controller and so my question would be is the motor not compatible with the Crystalyte controller??...not sure whats happening here..

NOTE:...Heres a pic of the inside of the throttle...could this have anything to do with it?
thorttledf.jpg

Thanks

John

Well, since I didnt get an answer, I used process of elimination. I went back to the Crystalyte throttle and matched all colors (Phase and Halls)...still only would go if I rotated the wheel and then for a quick pulse untill it met up with that point again and then it would turn with power for quick second. This gave me a hint...unplugged the Cycle Analyst and Viola!!! it worked...seemed that the cycle analyst had the number of poles at 1..I guess at 28 and it works beautifully...
However when I plugged in the throttle that came with the bike..and fired up the controller...it went full throttle without me touching it!...so for now Im using the Crystalyte Throttle.

Cant wait to see how much stronger this thing pulls..

John

Well......All done and man does this thing pull hard..5000 watts..and acceleration is double..however, top speed is down..im thinking its the Cycle analyst although I put the top speed at 99 kph...thing will only do 50 kph, where before it would do 60...anyone know if the CA can limit speed or is there a throttle limiting criteria?

John

CA wheel size?

dogman dan said:
CA wheel size?

Wheel size is the same...it was reading incorrectly so i measured it and input it..dont think that will change anything?...Im reading about throttle calibrations but it isnt clear if this will affect top speed....???

Heres a quick pic of the controller in the bike...looks massive...I have about 5000 kms on this puppy on the trike...best controller I ever used.transplanted.jpg

John

Back