trike

29a

100 W
Hi all,
After a few nasty falls last winter on ice I was thinking of switching from bike to delta trike for the winter. I've never riden a trike and was hopeing someone would let me know how they handle on ice/snow.
Of course this will be clite hub motor powerd, so for the trike should i use front or rear wheel drive :?: :?:

any constructive help/links appreciated

Hi,
i can not claim much experience, but ....

my main reason for preferring / buying a trike were comfort (seat)
I tried many styles of trikes , low high, suspended etc.
My final choice was Delta type Hase Lepus, suspended, foldable.
First test with rented trike (just one rear wheel driven) made clear that steep hills / offroad is not possible.
Hase offers differetial, thus both wheels are driven.
Hub motor in front wheel might work nicely, but only on good surface and without any inclination.
Front wheel is loaded with only 10 kg, thus slips as soon as some sand is on the road, cant imagine any ice or snow.
In my present configration using a hub motor driving the chain via 14 gear Rohloff hub via differential isa climbing goat!
Wet grass, inclinations of more than 20%, ... no problem.
Looking forward to experience winter conditions ,
i am quite sure it is going to be fun!

I want to buy a "Hase" trike, they are available here in Canada also, they're an awsome piece of machinery, and look cool :)
The "Ketweissel" model is more streamlined, no "A" frame type rear suspension and $1,000 cheaper. Slap on my old reliable Heinzmann front mount torque monster with 48 volts of li-ion. If the rear wheel slips like hejo said, you always got the front wheel to power you onwards, hopefully.

There are a few delta trikes available out there, but many look unstable. Check the rear wheels width, and seat hight then use your physics from high school, oh and don't forget the $3000 or so petty cash :shock: .

If you want to build your own and fit 2 hubs for 3 wheel drive and don't mind sitting 5" off the road, I may have a design for you.
Enough Photos to build by are here. http://gary-bonney.fotopic.net/c1331707.html
It will out handle most tadpole trikes, and all commercial Deltas without even leaning on the corners.
Mines a 2 wheel drive front and 1 rear hub, if you have longer legs you could fit a 20" front wheel.
With 3 wheel drive it would be the ultimate winter trike except for ground clearance.

Commercially you will need a design with 2 wheel drive or you won't move, forget sticking a hub in the front as the commercial jobs are all LWBs and the front will have no traction at all.
You cannot rectify this by putting the batteries up front as it will destabilize a Delta severly.
Lightfoot http://www.lightfootcycles.com/ do some very nice (in a utilitarian way) trikes well suited to your use if you opt for the dual drive and even offer a geared drive electric option.
They would be relatively easy to make a copy of as well.
A standard Kettwiesel or similar unless fitted with the optional dif will be useless for your use.
Also bear in mind the commercial Delta's do not handle as well as a tadople trike, the Kett is meant to be the best handling of whats available, ignore this if cornering at insane speeds is not required.

Attachments

• atrike_005.jpg
    atrike_005.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 5,523
The "Lightfoot" trikes (posted link above) are one of the most utilitarian trikes, which I admire greatly, (thanks Geebee) Hauling stuff is an important useability factor, and keeps the car in the driveway. I notice they offer two steering options, a telling handicap against the tiller effect standard stearing offered. Under-seat stearing (like the Hase) clearly is becoming more and more popular.
We don't get much snow where I live, and cycling is the last thing on my mind when we do, so tracion problems are near non exsistant in my everyday cycle use. Even with my front Heinzmann powered mountain bike seldom slips on gravel grades, and when it does it's controlable and still powers the bike while skidding. I still think front hub motors on a trike is a doable option, for the sheer fack you can still power the rear with your pedals. Maybe I'm just afraid of all the gearing and chain hassles.

recumbent said:
Under-seat stearing (like the Hase) clearly is becoming more and more popular.

I've never ridden a trike. But from the photo above, it looks to me like having the handlebars high and nearby the pedals places the rider in an uncomfortably hunched-forward position. Opinions on this?

It's actually very comfortable with no hunching over.
Try tilting your computer chair back to a similar angle stick your feet on the desk and the arms are not quite straight out.
Another bonus is that you can pedal for hours in jeans and no chaffing, sore back, butt, wrists etc. the usual recumbent benefits.
The seat was meant to be a temporary test but it is so comfortable that is has stayed, you are laid back enough to spread the weight across your back as well so there is very little pressure anywhere.

Ja, it's difficult to imagine the rider position. A person on the rig might help.

Now that Currie is on the bench, Darryl Hanna might be available.

:D

A shot to show just how small this toy is.
Here is the riding position, note the low drag profile compared to a DF, all I can add is that it is extremely comfortable.

To OP and getting back on topic (sorry about that) have you looked at the Pedalcoupe? http://www.pedalcoupe.com/
2 wheel drive and standard front forks for a hub motor or 2 and can be bought with e-assist fitted.
Look in the gallery, it looks ideal for a bad winter :)

quadcycle.jpg

Tyler, I have considered them but as it is my hot weather trike they are not really required. Having said that the first time I tried to get something out of my jeans pocket going down hill at 40 mph I touched my bare elbow on the wheel, you only do it once :) no damage but stung like a Bi...

thanks guys,
Lots to think about and many good ideas from your nice build Geebee but theres no way I could be that close to the ground, we get too much snow.
I'm thinking of simillar to the greenway design for now http://www.lightfootcycles.com/trikes.htm
but using similar drive to Geebee for front and a rear hub motor.

Later when i scrounge enouth parts I will try a pedalcoupe build

Good choice with the "Lightfoot" cycles, get thier rear wheel drive attachment. Both wheels are driven if you look closely at one of thier pictures. One elec, and the other wheel pedal driven if you need it. Plus a warranty to boot :)

The 2WD on the Lightfoot (with no powered assist option) is essentially two separate transmissions -- making a total of three transmissions for the trike: left rear, right rear, and cranks to jackshaft.

In conditions of good traction it is easier to leave one of the two rear transmissions in the easiest-to-pedal gear ratio (shift onto the largest rear cog on its cluster) and allow that wheel to freewheel, and only use the other rear transmission to adjust to terrain. This way you don't have to synchronize them manually, as you would if you wanted to use 2WD.

They are both managed by use of friction shifters mounted inboard of the grip twist-shifters on the handlebar.

If one transmission has a failure (broken rear derailer, broken chain, broken shift cable) you can remove the chain on that side and get home fine on the remaining rear transmission. Removal of the chain isn't absolutely necessary; you could also lift it from the monocog on the end of the jackshaft and tie it up with twist-ties from a garbage bag, but it will drag across the frame if you Fred Flintstone it in reverse (use your feet or gravity to roll the trike backwards, against the normal direction of travel).

Brakes on the Lightfoot trike are disc; there's a saddle/yoke under the frame that converts the pull of the brake lever to center-pull, and actuates both brakes simultaneously. Thus the right brake lever brakes both rear wheels together; the left lever actuates only the front disc brake. The front brake has far more stopping power than is necessary; it takes a bit of run length to bring the vehicle to a stop using only the rear brakes on level terrain (as much as two vehicle lengths if you're going at a clip). The front wheel will only skid when braking on slick surfaces (or on sand or pavement with a lot of sand on it) but recovery is acceptable; it is best to rapidly modulate the front brake for this reason out of habit (so if it does skid it is only for a moment).

I'm starting with a Huffy 3-wheeler from the 1970's - what we used to call Granny-trike; grocery basket on back & everything. It has an in-hub 3-speed where the back wheel used to be and another sprocket drives the chain back to the rear axle's diferential.

I just ordered a 500W motor, chain & a 65T sprocket & will spend this winter figuring out how I want to mount the motor.

I've never ridden my trike in ice or snow - I'm in Houston Texas.
the most extreme weather I've experienced while riding was a torrential rain storm.

redscott said:
I'm starting with a Huffy 3-wheeler from the 1970's - what we used to call Granny-trike; grocery basket on back & everything.
You'll be grinnin from ear to ear, the first time you pass by a gas-station with drivers lining up for punishment.

Get a squeeky-horn. :twisted:

:D

TylerDurden said:
Get a squeeky-horn. :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol: haEE haEE haEE

Absolutely - a bulb horn!

All my mail order parts are in da hizzy so I'm ready to spend my holiday weekends stripping the trike & putting a sprocket on the hub, start fabbin' some brackets, etc.

The one thing I like about Houston = great weather in the winter.

Then i wish you a sunny and hot Christmas then...

Doesn't sound quite right without the "white Christmas". To each his own i guess. Enjoying all 4 season does have its up and down

While trying to find the necessary components to build a similar trike, I found that the Huffy Slider Geebee used seems to be unavailable in the U.S. The closest thing I could find is the Razor Scream Machine, wich looks like it will fit the bill:

http://www.razor-scooters.com/scream-machine-big-wheel/razor-scream-machine-shredder-blue.htm

I'm going to try to find one, and will report back as my project progresses.

Don

29a said:
I've never riden a trike and was hopeing someone would let me know how they handle on ice/snow.
Ice and snow not a problem for this trike... Just need to scale it up a bit:
RC_Paraglider_Airglider_g.jpg

;->
lOck

ngocthach1130 said:
Doesn't sound quite right without the "white Christmas".

Spending childhood in the Panhandle of Texas, where the winter slides down from Canada without a single tree to slow it down, I learned that the Bing Crosby White Christmas fantasy is totally Hollywood B.S. - a white Christmas just means frostbite toes because you can't afford shoes, icecicles on the INSIDE of the windows because you can't afford the heating bill, Mom's car got crashed because some idiot thought they could drive on ice the same way they drive on dry pavement, and Dad got laid off from another job again.

Yeah, Merry freakin X-Mess to all, from the Reality-Based Community.

lol i have my problems with christmas too. All this cheery happy mood isn't fitting well with my personality. But i do like enjoying all 4 season. Doesn't have to be as bad as your situation of extreme cold. But sunshine all year long can drive people crazy too.

Back