trouble with the law?

dimpirate

100 W
I was wondering if any of you have ever had any trouble with the law concerning your e-bikes, especially when driving over 20 mph. Im from south florida very urban area! Id appreciate some info, if you yourself have had problems with police (tickets,arrests?), or if you know anyone that has, and what the results where. If your from florida id love to here from your experiences, as well as anywhere else!!
Thanks

I've ridden at 25mph almost every day for 4 years and have never had trouble with the law. I always pedal, even though the chain is usually just freewheeling. I think this helps a lot, and draws much less attention.

BC, Canada

dimpirate said:
I was wondering if any of you have ever had any trouble with the law concerning your e-bikes, especially when driving over 20 mph. Im from south florida very urban area! Id appreciate some info, if you yourself have had problems with police (tickets,arrests?), or if you know anyone that has, and what the results where. If your from florida id love to here from your experiences, as well as anywhere else!!
Thanks

I asked this same question before,

seems like nobody on the forum ever got a ticket.... :|

I think there should be a ES prize for the first ebiker with a speeding ticket... :mrgreen:

I heard MWKeefer got a ticket once, but he was going downhill doing something crazy like 40mph i think..

I've not heard of anyone getting a ticket on this board. And i've read it multiple times daily for over a year now.
I've had some officers crack jokes at me before, asked me if i was lance armstrong when doing 30-35mph on the road, lol... that's about it so far.

I like your idea, BUT! I wana see a prize for an E-Bike going too fast on a highway! (Over 50 MPH in other words) now THAT would be worthy of the price of the ticket! :lol: :lol:

But seriously, if you're going to do the land speed record on your E-Bike do it safely as possible, no school zones please! :p :wink:

neptronix said:
I heard MWKeefer got a ticket once, but he was going downhill doing something crazy like 40mph i think..

I've not heard of anyone getting a ticket on this board. And i've read it multiple times daily for over a year now.
I've had some officers crack jokes at me before, asked me if i was lance armstrong when doing 30-35mph on the road, lol... that's about it so far.

40 MPH is crazy speed?! I do that every day that I go down the hill here in town (with all my bikes, not just my E-Bikes! :mrgreen: :p :twisted:

I'm pretty well known to the local PD mainly because of my father's many bicycle accidents, I did have to slow down in a parking lot since I was going 29 MPH (the city hall and police dept. are in the same parking lot! :mrgreen: ) but no one seems to care here, long as I'm not cutting people off or blatantly blowing stop signs or something. :D

Maybe once I get the cruiser bike going I can wear a leather jacket and burn some rubber to get attention or something (gotta use the ridiculously silly "flame" tires for something before we replace them right? :mrgreen: )

I hear a spray bottle with a little bleach makes pretty good white smoke doing burn-outs? :lol: :lol: :lol:

There was someone on here that had been stopped for speeding, I thought, but being a small town just got a warning, IIRC. I thought the membername was something like "justadad" but searches on any part of that name don't turn up any member remotely similar to that, even using google site search, so maybe he deleted himself?

EDIT: finally found it but had to go thru all 16 pages of the J's, because a search on "justadad" even with google finds NOTHING, becuse it is "justadad1957" instead. Even searching for "just*" on the member search on ES won't find it, becuase I guess numbers aren't counted when you use an * wildcard or something... WTH? :roll:

Anyway:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28995
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18080 (which is a topic similar to this one in intent)

LI-ghtcycle said:
I like your idea, BUT! I wana see a prize for an E-Bike going too fast on a highway! (Over 50 MPH in other words) now THAT would be worthy of the price of the ticket! :lol: :lol:

:

we need to buy a plane ticket for FasR7 to come to America... :twisted:

watch out for rocks at 3:35
popo at 9:13
checking his phone at 10:12

[youtube]bGYsU4DK4ZM[/youtube]

I don't recall too many members here that had problems, but there have been some news stories that got picked up by members, and posted.

The common denomitator seems to be two things or both.

1. Riding the scooter type ebikes, that some cops, and even judges can see as a "moped" despite any applicalble state vehicle statutes. In some cases, the trouble starts when one of these bikes is ridden on the sidewalk, wrong way up a one way street, rolling a stop sign, etc. To the cops, you are a motorcycle on the sidewalk.

2. Being known by the police in the first place. In one Arizona you tube video, it's clear that the guy getting hassled was riding on the wrong side of the street on a scooter type ebike. It's also very very very obvious that the guy is well known by the cops, who love to bust him for anything they can come up with, like riding a bike on the left side of the street. About 7 cars showed up just to spectate and gloat. So if you have a history with the local cops, you gotta stay legal.

Florida has a weird moped law, so make sure your bike is really a bike BY FLORIDA STATE LAW. The fed law applies only to manufacturing and selling ebikes. Some guys had big problems trying to register as a moped, with the larger x treme scooters. Some kind of deal where the manufacturer has to have paperwork on file with Florida dmv, or they won't accept the vin number.

sk8norcal said:
dimpirate said:
Thanks

I asked this same question before,

seems like nobody on the forum ever got a ticket.... :|

I think there should be a ES prize for the first ebiker with a speeding ticket... :mrgreen:

my money's on luke, assuming the fuzz can ever catch up to him!! :twisted: :twisted:

Matt Gruber got busted (for non-registered MV?), but the judge tossed the charges. He's in N. FL.

sk8norcal said:
LI-ghtcycle said:

:

we need to buy a plane ticket for FasR7 to come to America... :twisted:

watch out for rocks at 3:35
popo at 9:13
checking his phone at 10:12

[youtube]bGYsU4DK4ZM[/youtube]

Notice what he is riding!!

Recumbent FTW!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Not saying you have to have a recumbent to make a run like that, but to my knowledge that is one of if not the longest run on video on those kind of speeds sustained, big difference between being able to HIT 50 MPH, and sustain it on a a highway/freeway for 12 + minutes!

Also, it's really a stretch to call his vehicle an E-Bike. :wink: :p

No pedals, and I imagine it's weighing in well over 100 lbs, probably closer to 150+ considering it's really more of a scooter, still very VERY kewl!! :mrgreen:

I wouldn't do it personally, especially with all that honking at the cars and splitting the lane with them, going between cars, WOW this guy is nutz! 8)

If I were to be going those kinds of speeds, I would have a trike, preferably tad-pole for greater stability at speed. 8)

Back