TSDZ2 Garmin integration and/or smaller display

asdf123

10 µW
I just got a bike with the TSDZ2, and I'd like to get rid of the giant, ugly VLCD5. If possible I'd like to use my Garmin Edge as the main display, with a remote and maybe a small supplementary display. I probably want to use brake sensors, but don't need a throttle. I'm also interested in some of the OSF improvements to assist behavior and efficiency. (On the technical side, I have a little bit of electronics experience and lots of unrelated programming experience, but I'm interested in learning whatever is needed for this project.)

What would currently be the best option for this? These are a few possibilities I've found, but they all have some drawbacks or points I'm confused about, or seem to be somewhat abandoned.
  • TSDZ2 Wireless Project (by casainho): this is the only one which obviously has Garmin integration, but development is inactive now. I also couldn't tell if it includes mspider65's OSF improvements from early 2021 (sounds like those would be helpful for efficiency and since I ride at higher cadence).
  • TSDZ2-ESP32 (by mspider65): this adds Bluetooth and seems to have ongoing development, but it's not clear to me if it can still use a display and remote, or the motor can only be controlled via an Android app? (I have an iPhone)
  • EBike EScooter Modular DIY (casainho's new project): the only example on the website is for Bafang M500, so it's not clear if it works with TSDZ2. Also not clear if it integrates with Garmin, or how the assist behavior and battery usage of this firmware compares to current OSF variants.
  • VLCD6 with OSF would be the most straightforward display swap, but it doesn't appear to support brake sensors and appears to be metric only. (Not sure if OSF could fix this?)
  • SW102 could potentially be used with OSF, but the OSF version is out of stock at electrifybike, and sounds like it would be more difficult to flash (also not clear if newer versions on aliexpress would work with OSF)

If Garmin is the primary requirement then the only option for the tsdz2 is the first one. But no, casainho's osf doesn't have the latest motor control improvements that are in mbrusa's but it does include field weakening for higher cadences. Casainho's fw is still stable and very good but it depends what's most important to you.

Thanks. The Garmin integration really would be nice, so I'll start ordering parts to build that setup.

In the meantime, I should also be able try out the mbrusa version's improvements with the VLCD5 by flashing only the controller, right? That would be an easy starting point and would let me compare that firmware with the wireless version.

looks like that's the case yes, I run casainho's fw without a display and haven't used mbrusa's - but looks like that fw implements the standard display protocol so just the controller needs flashing.

Did you build the 2nd alternate wireless remote, and if so, where did you get the 5 pin extension cable? That's the one part I'm having trouble finding. (Got most of the rest from pswpower, digi-key, and Amazon...no thanks to pswpower randomly emptying my cart several times.)

No, i run a version that I helped develop which uses the wireless controller (so I can run without a display on my bike but can configure via the phone app if needed) - but doesn't use the wireless remote for buttons. Buttons are wired directly to the wireless controller so you only use 1x nrf52840.

I can't remember where I got all my cables from as i haven't bought any in a year or two but they should be findable - just watch out that some extension cables e.g. for speedsensor sometimes only wire 2 pins, rather than all of them...

@casainho Do you remember the name of the 5 pin connector/cable (for the VLCD5 remote) that you used in the 2nd alternate wireless remote? I'm trying to build that for the Garmin integration but it's an unusual type of connector (not any of the standard higo or julet shapes) that I can't find anywhere.

@casainho Do you remember the name of the 5 pin connector/cable (for the VLCD5 remote) that you used in the 2nd alternate wireless remote? I'm trying to build that for the Garmin integration but it's an unusual type of connector (not any of the standard higo or julet shapes) that I can't find anywhere.
You can wire the buttons directly to the board and mount it on your handlebars. Where are you mounting it that you need an extension?

If you really need an extension - you can make one from a 6 pin cable - either cut the central pin from the male end - or splice on a male end you can get from the button assembly itself.

Mainly I wanted the other end of the extension cable so I could avoid cutting off the remote's connector (in case I want to use it with the original setup later or something), but I could do that if I have to. I can also check later to see if those 6-pin connectors are the right size/shape.

Mainly I wanted the other end of the extension cable so I could avoid cutting off the remote's connector (in case I want to use it with the original setup later or something), but I could do that if I have to. I can also check later to see if those 6-pin connectors are the right size/shape.
they are the same size, i've used them interchangeably. I've burned the 6th pin hole into 5 pin female connectors so i can use them for motor flashing for instance.

Back