TSDZ2B (8pin 48v) is there any way to use a stealth display such as the DZ41 or XH18, without going to OSF?

Biokinetics

1 µW
Hi all, I have a TSDZ2b, and I've seen a lot about switching to OSF, but I prefer not to currently try it, however I cannot find anything on successfully using an alternative display.
I saw something about it working with the DZ41, but the avaliable 1T4/1T2 cables all are the wrong connector, either it's the same gender or a different species! 😜
So, do the actually use the same protocols and pinout?
Can an adapter be made to connect them?
Thanks! 🤞🏻🙏🏻😎✌🏻

I took a look at it, but my unit has an 8 pin Higo-z812 male, I would still need a 1T2 cable that has a female higo on the drive end and a 5 pin female julet to match my version of DZ41, which mates to my Bafang UART hub motor controller.
Since they are all UART, will an appropriately wired adapter alow this display and harness to connect to the Tongsheng?

I'm not certain, but I think the point of Elinx's post was that you can buy a new DZ41 at Enerprof that has firmware in it to support the TSDZ2 communications/etc.

This would imply that other DZ41s do not have compatible firmware to communicate correctly with the TSDZ2.

The cabling solution I don't know--I would assume (possibly incorrectly) that Enerprof would also carry the cables to connect those displays to the intended controllers (but I have not checked).

UART is really just a hardware designation. There are different communication protocols (languages or even just dialects) that can be used with that hardware, and different versions of displays and controllers can have different firmware that makes communication either impossible, or degraded (some data or parameters may not be understood). If they're all using the same exact protocol they'll all communicate...but it's still not standardized, so not guaranteed to work together.

You can also run into the issue that the menu system programmed into a specific display model and version might not match the settings available or needed for a specific controller model and version--they'll talk to each other fine, but the display throws away some info the controller sends it, and doesn't send the controller some information it needs to change settings from the powerup defaults (or it sends it's own defaults that the user does not have access to change, there being no menu available for it in that particular firmware version).

This last problem I have seen with Kingmeter displays on Lishui controllers I have here, and similar issues reported with assorted controller/display combos here on ES and elsewhere by others. With the display that came with one controller, it has access to all of the settings, but using a different otherwise-identical display from a different kit that doesn't have menus for changing some of the settings, I can't access them on the first kit's controller either. (but the display that does access all the settings on one does also access (some of) them on the second kit that I couldn't access any of them from with it's original display. I can assume that the ones the second controller doesn't respond to in the first kit's display is because the controller has those locked out, or that the values it's intended to respond to are not being sent by the display, because their firmware was not written to work together.

I took a look at it, but my unit has an 8 pin Higo-z812 male...
I didn't know you already have a DZ41 for Bafang.
You ask in the first place for a display with a stealth formfactor.
For that you can use the smallest displays from enerprof.

Your 8-pin Tsdz2 is a version with throttle.
Vlcd5 is the only display that could be delivered with 8-pin or 6-pin connector.
All other displays (XH18, vlcd6, DZ41 etc.) are 6-pin only, or compatible with 6-pin Tsdz2.(vlcd9, vlcd10)

The DZ41 from Enerprof is plug and play for a 6-pin Tsdz2 without throttle.
So you need a split cable from 8-pin to 6-pin + throttle (1T2) if you want to use the throttle.

FYI
These enerprof displays are all specific for Tsdz2 and can't work with Bafang, even though the display type numbers are the same.
Tsdz2 and Bafang display's have a different communication protocol, different firmware and are not interchangeable.

Last edited:
Back