UK will be electric bike capital of the world!

markz said:
Oh, you mean like a mandate by the government to wear a mask when you are near people and in public and a certain segment of the population refuses ...
That is not what I mean.

Anyway, there are 4 times more death by road injury than viruses in the world. One more virus won’t change that. It does kill a lot at first, then joins all the other viruses in the melting pot. Twice as many people died by hunger than Covid 19 this year, and 10 times more by heart diseases.

It is useless to fear death. We are all infected by life, and death is the only cure. Death is smiling to us all, best we can do is smiling to her in return. Those living in fear, are suffering a thousand death.

[/quote]
It is useless to fear death. We are all infected by life, and death is the only cure. Death is smiling to us all, best we can do is smiling to her in return. Those living in fear, are suffering a thousand death.[/quote]

That is some heavy shit right there

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Here in Milton Keynes we don't ride on roads. The place was designed and built from scratch with a separate pedestrian/cycleway system.

This makes adventure and commuting a great way of life for my daughter and I on my e-tandem.

Any other town though, and she'd be in a car. The UK will not be the e-bike capital of the world because the roads are so dangerous. It's a small, densely populated island with vehicles designed for mainland Europe, and the situation is simply unacceptable elsewhere nationwide.

That said, Milton Keynes will not be the e-bike capital of the world, either. The irony being that, with no cyclists or pedestrians on the roads, it's also a great town to drive in. So that's the preferred choice.

Balmorhea said:
MadRhino said:
Hickbeard said:
That is some heavy shit right there
Of course. I come from the cavalry, and our specialty is teaching kids bravery.

Better to teach them probabilities.

The probability is that fear will make people do stupid things at the worst moment. Strong sentiments are blinding logic and rhythm, that are required for precision in action.

Math is not Englands strong suit.

Back in 2017 - pay wall :( - https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/05/world/asia/china-textbooks-britain.html
Britain Turns to Chinese Textbooks to Improve Its Math Scores
Students at a primary school in Shanghai last year. Under a government-backed initiative in Britain, more than half the primary schools in England will adopt a teaching approach to math that is used in top-scoring places like Shanghai and Singapore.

Balmorhea said:
Better to teach them probabilities.

True, though I suspect no one really acts on probability, even to the limited extent we may understand it. You ride a bicycle for example, perhaps in traffic. To some another, that might be dangerous, and it will be even if you both understand fairly clearly the risk statistics. When it's something we and our friends do, the risk is "low"; when it's something we don't do and our friends express concern over it, it's "not low enough." Those are the only values we can plug into our behavior choices, and we can change back and forth without any need for the statistics to change.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/332333?fbclid=IwAR2AiPM7IPVMjQwtguEGP0a2r68S_xJGqvE8q9gRdX3qFyxac1OR2a_Z4Ls

Petition to increase the 25kmh limit on electric bikes in the UK.

Let's go guys, I already signed

Tommm said:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/332333?fbclid=IwAR2AiPM7IPVMjQwtguEGP0a2r68S_xJGqvE8q9gRdX3qFyxac1OR2a_Z4Ls

I got stopped for going 27kph in a 10kph zone on a multi-use pathway, at the bottom of a long curvy hill, they were sneaky that way and they were just warning people. Lots of people were going faster then me. Of course everyone just lets it go once their at the bottom 1/4 section of the hill, then theres a long straight part and a somewhat tight pedestrian bridge. It was a busy day, sunny day, weekend so its prime time for some PSA.

markz said:
Tommm said:

I got stopped for going 27kph in a 10kph zone on a multi-use pathway, at the bottom of a long curvy hill, they were sneaky that way and they were just warning people. Lots of people were going faster then me. Of course everyone just lets it go once their at the bottom 1/4 section of the hill, then theres a long straight part and a somewhat tight pedestrian bridge. It was a busy day, sunny day, weekend so its prime time for some PSA.

I'd tell them to get a real job, not a job that essentially hassles people for no good reason.

John in CR said:
markz said:
[I got stopped for going 27kph in a 10kph zone on a multi-use pathway, at the bottom of a long curvy hill, they were sneaky that way and they were just warning people.

I'd tell them to get a real job, not a job that essentially hassles people for no good reason.

I'm inclined to agree, unless there were preventable bike-ped or bike-bike crashes there. In that case, only enforcement has any chance of changing people's behavior. Signage alone clearly isn't cutting it.

I recently had a customer who wrote off the frame, fork, and one of the wheels of his >$10,000 bike, because someone on a bike path came around a downhill blind corner on the wrong side of the path. He got banged up pretty bad, too, which is no small thing when you're 79 years old.

Here bike paths are more dangerous than streets. If I ever ride them, it is for a few blocks as a shortcut to avoid trafic.

donn said:
markz said:
10kph zone on a multi-use pathway

10 kph? 6 1/4 mph? Seems like that would be rather trying, on a bicycle.

Not if your responsibility is to keep bikes from nailing peds on a challenging section of trail.

Just like it isn't road designers' responsibility to make motorists as happy and sovereign as they want, it isn't the responsibility of multi-use path managers to appease the fastest cyclists at the expense of everyone else.

Balmorhea said:
Just like it isn't road designers' responsibility to make motorists as happy and sovereign as they want, it isn't the responsibility of multi-use path managers to appease the fastest cyclists at the expense of everyone else.

Sure, but at 6mph ... maybe I lack experience with the kind of path in question here, but I then would naturally lack that experience because I wouldn't have any use for such a thing. To me, that represents a failure insofar as multi-use was intended to support bicycles as one use.

Which was not my point, mind you, but since you brought it up. All I'm saying is that as a bicyclist, that would be hell ... and, to return to the question of whether that's well done - as a road designer would likely understand too, you have limited means to make people obey rules like that, so the path had better be designed to make higher speeds uncomfortable. Which doesn't sound like it was the case.

donn said:
markz said:
10kph zone on a multi-use pathway

10 kph? 6 1/4 mph? Seems like that would be rather trying, on a bicycle.

Actually it does not define whether it is kph or mph, so it could technically be a left over sign from days yore, say 1970's and be MPH. So 10mph is 16kph, remember government is stupid so they just made signs that said "Speed Limit 10" so mach 10 perhaps you could convince them. Legal documents (the sign) have to be accurate, not ambiguous and not specify. You know how stupid government is, even their paint signs on the pathways say the same thing.

markz said:
...government is stupid so they just made signs that said "Speed Limit 10"

You can tell the cop: I was alone to speed, far from the limit of ten. :mrgreen:

Back