(updated) Trek 7300 Hybrid - BMC - Ping - Shenzen

Sorry I'm a little late to post this but a friend of mine also owns a Trek 7300 and had similar problems with insufficient braking power and severe brake squeal. He ended up replacing the stock Tektro brakes with Avid SD7's and they've been far superior. I also replaced mine with a SD7 in front and SD5 in the rear and it's worked wonders on my Diamondback. I've logged about 300 miles since the swap and haven't had to readjust them or heard any squealing. They're only $20 for the SD7 and $12 for the SD5 at Jenson - I HIGHLY recommend them.

MrBoots,

I appreciate the suggestion on a brake upgrade, as I didn't have a clue and really need better stopping power. Squeezing the brakes hard and continuously on long downgrades is killing my hands.

thanks,
Carl

Hey Hillbilly,(whoops, wrong Lookout Mtn) I've read 'Salmon' brake pads are soft and grippy but haven't tried. Think you'll love 48V. BMCs will take a little torture and with some folks running 50+amp controllers, doesn't sound though you'll be pushing the limit. I went from 36V to 48 with an old C-lyte 409 and it really came alive, probably 30% more torque over the entire range. Since torque around 20mph was my limiting factor, it gained not only 4mph on the hills, but also 4mph top speed :p Logging roads make for the best biking!

Hillbilly;
Hows it going??
The local bike store is having a "silly" prices event on the 16th if you are thinking about a new bike.

The new trailer is finished if you are intrested in trying it out. It will push my big butt anywhere I want to go with a 30a controller on 44v. So far eveyone that has tried to trailer like it better than the bikes.

Dan

Dan... I've let the smoke out of my budget by buying a new bike and now you are torturing me with this talk of trailers :)

I got a great deal on a Surly Big Dummy and have also taken the plunge on a StokeMonkey. I am absolutely determined to beat the mountain. It will be a while before I get this all put together but yes, I'd love to try your trailer and just hope it doesn't work better than my bike, or I'll be the "Big Dummy"!

cheers, Carl

Dan,

How about this: bring your trailer up here and the rider who gets to the top of Lookout Mountain first can serve coffee and cookies. I've got a stove and espresso pot ready to go. :)

Carl

Back