USB Charging Port

zooz

10 W
Hi All,

Today I did my first 12 miles trip to work in London on my newest ebike build, feels great. :)

I had an Android phone mounted on my bike using GPS and route tracking, which uses a lot of power and drains my phone battery pretty quickly. So I was just wondering if I any of you had the same problem and managed to solve it? I have got a CA which has a DC power port, but I believe it only outputs 2.25V, which is not enough for USB charging.

Do you have any ideas or examples? Thanks!

- zooz

"most" 120 to 240 volt AC switched power supplies will actually work with DC and lower voltages. So simply take a spare USB charger and hook it up to your battery and see what happens, chances are it will work just fine. Just to be safe check the output with a volt meter before you plug in your phone.

pelle242 said:
"most" 120 to 240 volt AC switched power supplies will actually work with DC and lower voltages. So simply take a spare USB charger and hook it up to your battery and see what happens, chances are it will work just fine. Just to be safe check the output with a volt meter before you plug in your phone.
Good point! I will try this at home today. Thanks

I have a DC-DC converter on my bike to run Blinkies, headlamps, and indicators/brake lights; converts my VBatt to 12V and 3.3V. From the 12V, I mounted a typical 12V cigarette lighter socket (inexpensive) and plugged in a 12V to USB charging adapter. Something like this (although mine is slightly different):

415oiuYX6wL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You can get this at Amazon for $12.99 - although I am sure they are easily found in your locale.

I have mine mounted under the front fairing to keep it dry. The accessory was used to keep my smartphone charged on my road trip to California last year. 8)

Cheers, KF

Kingfish said:
I have a DC-DC converter on my bike to run Blinkies, headlamps, and indicators/brake lights; converts my VBatt to 12V and 3.3V. From the 12V, I mounted a typical 12V cigarette lighter socket (inexpensive) and plugged in a 12V to USB charging adapter. Something like this (although mine is slightly different):

415oiuYX6wL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You can get this at Amazon for $12.99 - although I am sure they are easily found in your locale.

I have mine mounted under the front fairing to keep it dry. The accessory was used to keep my smartphone charged on my road trip to California last year. 8)

Cheers, KF

What does a DC-DC converter look like? I'm running a 48v battery. I tried to put my battery on those AC switching 110v-240v usb charger and it charges up fine but its only 250ma even though its 5v. Its too slow. The same cable charges my phone at 650ma if plugged into the AC.

what u need is a boost dc converter. Google Mintyboost or MAX756 dc converter, very well documented . I builted one to charge my phone with a 1v solar panel while listening music and radio on the beach. 5 v output only by the way, but for voltages other ic's are available and the principle of working is the same, just some capacitors and a inductor. Good luck.

Back