Vector Typhoon finally

Well I have had this kit for nearly a year and I am finally working on it. I pulled the 50mm QS motor off of my Luna cargo after one successful test run and put it on the vector. I was a bit put out about how much filing I had to do to the dropouts to get the axle to fit. I had to remove the swing arm and get it in a vice so that I could take a proper stroke with a file. Personally I don't feel that is something a builder should have to do.

WP_20190326_14_13_32_Pro.jpg

Then I pressed in the headset installed the fork, laced a wheel and added a set of Jones bars.

WP_20190330_17_16_38_Pro.jpg

I am running a 26 X 4.0 fat tire in the rear and a 27.5 X 70mm on the front. This is making the bike quite tall even for me with my long legs. I put a PNW dropper post on it . Unfortunatly I got the long one and I can't put it down all the way because of interference with the top of the rear shock. My rear tire has a diameter of 29". This wouldn't be an issue if I was using a moto tire but I am going to stick with this for now.

I can either use a shorter dropper post or use a shorter rear shock to get the seat height I want. Maybe both will be the way to go. I removed the rear shock and with the aid of my small electric winch I raised and lowered the bike while taking measurements to see how much shock lenght and travel effects seat height. I figured it would be a linear equation and thanks to a frendly math page I got this graph that some people may be interested in.

View attachment 1

The left vertical scale is in inches from the floor to the top of the shock mount tab in it's upper position. The lower horizontal scale is millimeters across the eyes of the shock. Your change in inches will be valid anywhere in the seat area of the bike. This last chart is the selection of burner 2 shocks from DNM.

dnm.PNG

My bike came with a 220 shock with an 850# spring. I have to decide between a 210 or a 200 unit with a 750# spring. 20mm at the shock is about 2 inches at the seat. I can straddle the bike now just forward of the seat with my feet flat on the ground but a little more clearance would be nice.

I really want to use a dropper seat post and that is making it stick up to much. I think I am going to get a smaller shock so I can straddle the frame better and if I have to get a shorter dropper post besides.

OH BTW with the shock at the full travel "compressed" state the seat and seat post are almost into that big tire. That is going to make a fender tough.

Nice build. I have the same frame. I also did a bunch of filing on mine as well to fit my QS205. I’m sure not all motors are the same spec so some may be a little bit thinner on their axle than others. Maybe that’s why it’s just a smidge too tight. I would rather have a tight fit though. Only pain was during test fit and on and off of the wheel that sucked as it was tight in and out.

Glad you finally got to putting it together. It took me about 6 months to get mine together after piece by piece ordering parts. Just did my big ass battery and now it’s pretty much 100%. Next is auxiliary stuff like lights and USB port and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well another year gone by. The bike is done and like so many of my bikes it got redone several times. Here is a parts list more or less.

QS-205 6T
18 fet controller for about 7 to 8,000 watts, that is plenty for me.
2, 72 volt Luna bricks for about 23 amp/hours.
Efneo three speed in the bottom bracket. This is highly recommended.
Rock Shock Bluto and Maxxis Mammoth tires. These tires are also recommended as great all around street and off road tires.
Unfortunately they don't seem to be available any more. I was able to get 4 on ebay, thank you very much.
Seat post dropper and a telescoping stem with Jones bars.

Still to do is a side stand, 203mm front rotor ,the parts are on the way and what ever details come up.

Attachments

• WP_20200917_16_04_31_Rich.jpg
    WP_20200917_16_04_31_Rich.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 445
  • WP_20200917_16_05_53_Rich.jpg
    WP_20200917_16_05_53_Rich.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 445
Back