velomini battery wiring

yumseyo

10 mW
Hi All, could anyone advise me on proper battery wiring for a Velomini single speed? I traded for one used. The previous owner had removed the battery in the frame and installed a battery and attached it to a bag hanging under the seat. My question is this: I noticed that he wired up the positive lead to a yellow wire and the negative to a red wire. Would anyone be able to confirm this is correct or would anyone be able to tell me how to test it? I bought a battery, but do not want to damage the new battery or the system with incorrectly installing it. Thanks in advance !

What color wires are they connected to on the controller? Typically red is positive and black is negative. Trace the wires to the controller and you should have your answer unless someone rewired the controller. My wag would be he just used whatever wire color he had to extend the battery connections from the controller.

wesnewell said:
What color wires are they connected to on the controller? Typically red is positive and black is negative. Trace the wires to the controller and you should have your answer unless someone rewired the controller. My wag would be he just used whatever wire color he had to extend the battery connections from the controller.

I did try a Makita power drill battery to the positive and negative of the existing wiring and was able to get the lights on the throttle to light up. I will have to try and dig deeper I guess to confirm the wiring. Right now the wiring is black on the red wire and black on the yellow wire. If the throttle light go on, could I assume his wiring at the battery cable end are accurate? or would the lights go on even if they were crossed?

If you plug it in wrong you'll know it fast. It will quickly blow a fuse, and if you have no fuse it will start to burn up connectors. If you've got battery leds lit with nothing burning, then you have it connected right.

wesnewell said:
If you plug it in wrong you'll know it fast. It will quickly blow a fuse, and if you have no fuse it will start to burn up connectors. If you've got battery leds lit with nothing burning, then you have it connected right.

Thanks wesnewell ! I was hoping that was the case. I am playing around with these velomini's because they are small enough to put in a back trunk. I have just started to work on a dahon folding bike with 20 inch wheels that has a BionX 350 system on it. I had the speed limiter re programmed. What are your thoughts on the Bionx systems?

I have no thoughts of the bionx system other than they are a lot more expensive than other systems. I've never seen one, and I'd never buy one.

Hi All !, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with troubleshooting the velomini 1 folding ebike. I got one that did not have a battery. According to the previous owner, it was working, and all that was needed was a battery. Well........... I just installed an external battery, 24 v 10ah. When I first installed the battery the lights on the throttle switch showed empty so I thought I was on my way... I then took the battery and charged it overnight and the next day plugged it into the system and it showed "half" . I then proceeded to try and ride it and the only things that worked were the lights on the throttle control, no motor assist, even while peddling consistently. Are there checks I can make to the motor? pedal sensor ? brake lever switches? to troubleshoot and pinpoint what might be wrong with the velomini? Thanks in advance.....

Hi All ! I was wondering if anyone can refer me to a site or help me with my velomini 3. I just got a used velomini 3 the powers up, throttle works, pedal assist works, but cuts off after 10 minutes of riding and won't power back up. after an all night charge, I get 28.4 volts at the battery. After about 10 minutes I could get it to power back up, but all the power lights go low, and dim on a slight hill. Thanks in advance !!

Sounds like voltage sag from a pack that's been well used or has some other issue.. Is it a 24v nominal battery?

Back