Vertical or horizontal "Drop outs"? which is more suited

hillzofvalp

100 kW
I am doing a motorcycle conversion.. I'm extending the swing arm and can't choose what the slots should be: vertical or horizontal.

Benefits of vertical:
-Natural wire exit angle
-able to cold set swing arm for vertical alignment (?)
-near impossible for wheel to ever go out of misalignment
-axle always orthogonal to torque plates.

cons: Have to get it perfect the first time!

Benefits of horizontal:
-able to adjust horizontal alignment
-able to adjust wheelbase

cons: there is a chance of stress on the axle from not perfectly orthogonal axle.

Which is best for 15kW 160lb motorcycle? (16mm.. 10mm flat width)

I'm making them out of 3/4"x2" steel. Each side will get a lot of contact.. but that wasn't the original goal. Original frame spacing was 182mm.. and cromotor with spacer is around 150mm.. so I'm filling the voids.

I think that since you have an option right now, the horizontal would be better if you are careful to make sure the wheel is mounted orthogonal. Even if it were off a tad, the stresses would be put on the tires first.

Horizontal.

If it's a motorcycle you would want to have the ability to adjust due to chain stretch. As for wheel alignment it would be as simple as string lining or using a dope little bit of kit like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-Chain-Alignment-Tool/dp/B001DDH3CG
21aNhAL1w3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It is actually not going to have a chain. Hub motor. This is what I should've added to the first post. Primary concern is axle breakage.

I was just thinking about it, and thought "why not have both? This is a 16mm thick x 50mm steel bar!"

I'd be thinking that the only real advantage of horizontal would be for chain tensioning, n like you say, if yer running a hub motor, chain tension aint an issue :)

With vertical dropouts I woulda thought wheel removal would be a little easier on a balanced centre stand, would also make wiring a little easier if wiring is run down the swing arm as you don't need to account for extra length to clear the dropouts on rear wheel removal...

joe

Depending on the design of your swingarm I'd say whatever configuration that allows you to make the strongest dropout.

Is there any reason now why you couldn't design it like the front axle on a motorcycle and use a clamping design? The only reason now to remove the wheel is for tyre wear and or motor servicing/breakage.

If I could change mine, I’d elect horizontal for the rear with a traditional motorcycle positioning system. IMO, the hub motor combined with rear suspension tends to misalign unless fully secured in the vertical orientation and it was the source of much frustration for me on the road in 2011. The next bike I build will have horizontal dropouts without question.

Good hunting! KF

Kingfish said:
If I could change mine, I’d elect horizontal for the rear with a traditional motorcycle positioning system. IMO, the hub motor combined with rear suspension tends to misalign unless fully secured in the vertical orientation and it was the source of much frustration for me on the road in 2011. The next bike I build will have horizontal dropouts without question.

Good hunting! KF

I wish all bikes came with removable dropouts like the new A-lines

Back