VESC Open Source - Android App Features?!?!

I ordered some HC-05 for testing as well
@pavlik1 : Did you plug directly the HC-05 on the PWR_COMM connector of the VESC ?
I'm wondering to add some resistors to reduce the RX level to 3,3V. Useless ?

Thanks !

Hey @pete1990, great app! Is it open source? I would like to try adding a JSON export format and maybe also a more compressed one! Also I could help translating the menus to english. Looking forward to it.

Pete1990 so u plug that small part into the vesc and then using an android phone I can see in real-time and also record all those parameters? For how long can you record? It seems to show "charged energy" on the graph?

Hummina Shadeeba said:
Pete1990 so u plug that small part into the vesc and then using an android phone I can see in real-time and also record all those parameters? For how long can you record? It seems to show "charged energy" on the graph?
Yes thats correct. Right now the data is written into a tab separated text file. All additional analysis I did in MS Excel. You Probably can record until your phones memory is full.

@makevoid: I will translate it in english. I made the app for my personal developping purposes in the first place, as I had some troubles on my skateboard build. I didn't really think I would get so much feedback. I'll have to decide how to go on with the developping process and if it's going to be open source.

Hummina Shadeeba said:
Isn't there some stipulation that it has to be open source since its founded on an open source design?
If the app includes some code that is poisoned by GPL (for example this code https://github.com/vedderb/bldc_uart_comm_stm32f4_discovery/blob/master/bldc_interface_uart.h) then it has to be open source. Otherwise it is totally fine not to be open source. Android itself is open source but it doesn't mean all applications written for it have to be.

Pimousse said:
I ordered some HC-05 for testing as well
@pavlik1 : Did you plug directly the HC-05 on the PWR_COMM connector of the VESC ?
I'm wondering to add some resistors to reduce the RX level to 3,3V. Useless ?
Thanks !

The Bt module is connected directly to VESC RX and TX pins. The power is 5V (3.3 work as well) and 0V. The BT rx tx are on 3.3V, actualy the aditional BT board hat 5V to 3.3V regulator.

top left connector, the middle is ADC for throttle (at 3.3V).

just got BT 4.0 HM-10 > to be tested

jacobbloy said:
So the UI is complete just need to add the new hall sensor updates that have been added recently.

Some of the photos are doubled up to show all the data.

Really I'm not the best at coding so I'm paying some one Vedder doesn't have much time but he has still offered to help!
This project will continue no matter what! But I need to ask if any one is willing to support this! Please contact me or Vedder and make a donation with a reference to the mobile app.
Android apk can be downloaded here for testing but it's just the UI.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bym9XrdeViekWlhXWmtacGxfUFU/edit?usp=docslist_api

View attachment 2

View attachment 1

Thanks every one for there support! If any one can join the project let me know!

@jacobbloy please help me how to select the port??? I am using the android aplication. I have BLE HM-10 and hc-05

@pete1990

Having few HC05, HC06 and HM-10 I tested them all with Flier made VESC
on the bench (wires all around) HC05 working for 10 minutes, motor power during test 0-700W

On the ebike:

VESC and BT set to 9600bps.

HM-10 newer connects
HC05 connecting for few seconds then losing connection. very seldom can make 200m test run and log it.
HC06 the same as HC05

tested at 115200 gives similar results

After loosing connection, the VSC Monitor mostly hangs. Tested on Samsung S5 and S3

Any idea where is the problem?

Suggestion for app update:
-parameter selection (not to log all)
-keep the LCD on option
-connection using BT or USB (can charge also over USB so long trips can be logged)
-logging phone GPS

Thanks for the good app

pavlik1 said:
@pete1990
HM-10 newer connects
HM-10 will never connect, because it uses different protocol (Bluetooth Low Energy)

pavlik1 said:
@pete1990
I tested them all with Flier made VESC

Where did you buy Flier VESC?

Hi !

I finally received my HC05 and tested it !
It works fine. At least on the table in the livingroom, I didn't try embedded and riding.

@Pete1990 : an error message stays at the bottom of the screen "Error: open failed ENOENT (No such file or directory)".
Is it normal ?
My phone : Nexus 5X

I was also wondering where to find the file to be exported into MS Excel ?
Maybe the error message was talking about it ?

Anyway, thanks for this great app !
Do you still develop it ?
I'm hungry of tons of features that could be added ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hi Pimousse,

In the last couple weeks I almost had no time left for this project. Right now I have translated the app to english and I'm trying to fix the issue with the hanging app when the connection is lost.
Your error seems to be related to the saving of data. It seems to be related to some writing permissions. Are you using android 6 (marshmallow) ? I only have tested it on 5.1 (lollipop). The data files should be in your phones storage in the folder "VESC_Monitor"

For tons of features we first need a stable app and then it can go on.

Don't worry for the tons of features, I understand well how a big work it should be. I was joking. :wink:
Yes, I'm using Marshmallow 6.0.1.
I gave manually access permissions to the storage. It doesn't put the error message anymore and it records the file in the folder you mentionned.
Put into Excel, it's ok as well.

What time pitch is it for datalogging ?
I added a first column for time and increased 1 by 1 for the moment. It's so powerful !
I can start to list bugs, little improvements and stability issues if you're interested. :wink:
Once again, I'll be glad to be your beta tester, feel free to send me beta version and I'll report what I can see.

you can use my Excel sheet if you want. Right now every 200ms a new set of data is written. feel free to send me a list of bugs and I'll see what we can do.

Attachments

• VESC Auswertung_17.8.16.xlsx
    1.4 MB · Views: 74
Ok, I will play a bit more with your app and list that.

Thanks for you Excel sheet !
I will try to build my own with VBA script for automation.

pete1990 said:
Hi Pimousse,

In the last couple weeks I almost had no time left for this project. Right now I have translated the app to english and I'm trying to fix the issue with the hanging app when the connection is lost.

For tons of features we first need a stable app and then it can go on.

This will be perfect, as after using the app I have to restart the phone. (Galaxy S3 and S5)

apart from this the application is perfect. I am using "CSV Grapher" app to display the logs on the phone.

It will be perfect if these two apps are combined.

Keep the good work Pete1990

pete1990 said:
feel free to send me a list of bugs and I'll see what we can do.
Hi Pete1990,
How would you proceed for sharing these infos ?
I just put it here in a post ?

pavlik1 said:
This will be perfect, as after using the app I have to restart the phone. (Galaxy S3 and S5)
apart from this the application is perfect. I am using "CSV Grapher" app to display the logs on the phone.
It will be perfect if these two apps are combined.
Thanks for the CSV Grapher tip :wink:
Instead of restarting your phone, you can just kill the process in the Setings menu.
It's less pain, restarting takes often a long time. :wink:

Pimousse said:
How would you proceed for sharing these infos ?
I just put it here in a post ?

Well, right now I'm starting to get this project organized in github. there it would be possible to insert the issues if you are familiar with that. if not, just post them here or send me a message.

I'm not familiar with bugs reporting but I can learn.
I like the way github manage projects, no problem for me.
Thanks.

Hello Pete1990

I am using the app regulary and have few observations:

1. After exiting the app, and verifying nothing is running in background, the telephone become very slow and regularly report "bt socket closed....."
The only solution so far is to restart the phone. The same is observed on Samsung Galaxy S5 and S3

Screenshot_2016_09_21_19_17_35.png

2. The power shown in the app is somehow too high. I suspect Voltage is multiplied by motor current, not battery current. If I calculate manually in the excel, the power seems more reasonable.

What will be nice to have:
1. Parameter selection for logging and display
2. logging phone GPS
3. Option to keep the phone screen on
4. Support different interfaces to VESC

Thanks for the good work.

pavlik1 said:
Hello Pete1990

I am using the app regulary and have few observations:

1. After exiting the app, and verifying nothing is running in background, the telephone become very slow and regularly report "bt socket closed....."
The only solution so far is to restart the phone. The same is observed on Samsung Galaxy S5 and S3

2. The power shown in the app is somehow too high. I suspect Voltage is multiplied by motor current, not battery current. If I calculate manually in the excel, the power seems more reasonable.

Yes, the 1st bug is known and fixed in my newest development version. The power calculation will also be adjusted. You're right with your assumption.

pavlik1 said:
What will be nice to have:
1. Parameter selection for logging and display
2. logging phone GPS
3. Option to keep the phone screen on
4. Support different interfaces to VESC

Thanks for your suggestions. Your first suggestion will be in the next version. On your other suggestions I can't promise much right now, besides the screen on feature. That shouldn't be too much work.

There is an updated version of the app released on Google Play now.
Some bugs are removed now. A settings menu was added. So you can choose what to display and whether to save the data or not. It's now possible to exit the app by pressing the back button of your phone.

Thanks to pimousse for testing and feedback!

Download now on Google Play

You mean the voltage of each cell ?

In this case, no it's not.
Data come from the VESC and it doesn't have any sensors on the battery. The only measure is the main voltage and current.

Back