Veteran returning to market BBS02/03/HD what to buy?

greenspark

100 W
In Jan 2013 I visited Bafang and test drove the first prototype BBS01. Had to buy one. In April, they sold me serial number 17. I documented my experience on this forum, and folks found it helpful to get the information out. After 6 months testing, I put together a buying group and bought 27 motors, including getting Paul at EM3EV to buy a few to try out. The rest is history and now I feel like some old timer riding around on antiques. I installed three of them on Bella Ciao city bikes that have been made by a Milan frame shop the same way for half a century or more. Classic Dedacciai steel is still a better ride than shock-absorbers on aluminium.

Now, 6 years later, my collection of BBS01 36v/350w and 48v/750w are showing their age. Of 3 bikes only one reliably works. Mostly it seems displays fail, but now the battery looks unhappy on one of the 36v. All of them are losing distance with age. I have three batteries that no longer work - show power but something is not right.

Time to quit tinkering and return to the market to do a complete upgrade. But what to buy? It seems there is a BBS03 model but when I do a search, I find I quickly get lost into too much information that does not provide the basics.

What to buy? 68mm shaft. Probably 48/750w. Main thing is reliability. Taking the bike on the ferry does produce a salt spray problem, partially mitigated by bike covers. Don't want to spend silly money.

Is a BBS03 better than an 02 or 01? Do I need to look at the HD, or is that just extra weight for power I don't need?

If there is a good link to answers, I would appreciate a pointer.

There were a few growing pains with my BBSHD but once I replaced the gaskets I haven't had any problems since. And I'm running it a 40A. I've only got about 4000km on mine but they seem pretty bullet proof. If you're running 30A you'd probably want the more robust BBSHD, but the BBS02 seems to be a more economical way to run 25A or under.

I'm not 100% positive but I believe the BBS03 is the BBSHD. I think people assumed that would be the name of the third incarnation but Bafang actually named it the BBSHD. There doesn't appear to be anything officially designated the BBS03.

Back