Vim's Amped Electra Townie Cruiser

Vim

10 W
It's a week old, smooth as silk, handles like a dream, and is dead silent! :D

Here's the specs:

Bike: 2008 Electra Townie 21
Kit: AmpedBikes Rear Hub
Battery: 37v 10ah AmpedBikes Phylion Lithium Manganese (9 lbs)
Weight Ready To Ride: 54 lbs
Top Speed On Flat Road (No Pedaling): 22.1 mph

Thanks for lookin'!

SilverMachine048.jpg

SilverMachine031.jpg

SilverMachine047.jpg

SilverMachine024.jpg

SilverMachine065.jpg

SilverMachine033.jpg

With exception to the 'flames' in the plastic container (they look 'out of place' IMHO) the bike looks fantastic. If it were me i would
probably be looking for a can of spray paint that matches the frame colour and spraying the inside of the plastic container...

Nice work anywayz mate ;)

Kim

Thanks for the comments, Aussie! I may do just that...spray paint the box the same silver as the bike. The flames were a goof. Found them in a drawer and thought, ahh what the heck.

Take care,
Vim

I really like the way that bike looks. There seems to be a shortage of them on the internet for sale. I could only find one company that sells them. Where did you find yours?

I'm curious how you like your seat post suspension. What brand is it? What do you think of the front shocks that come with the Townie. Are they adjustable so you can get a nice soft ride on the street?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm thinking of building another ebike and would like to start with a Townie 21 but nobody around where I live sells them and I'd hate to buy one off the net without trying it out.

Nick
central coast CA

I'm surprised that you are having such a hard time finding a Townie up there. Down here, just about every bike shop in Orange County and San Diego carries them. Look for a shop that sells beach crusiers.

They are made by a company called Electra, which I think is based in Texas. Here's a link. What I really like about the Townies is that the seat is set back about 6-8", which makes the bike much more stable at speeds up around 45 mph, and higher. I don't know about the front fork, as I never tried to adjust it, but what I did to smooth out the ride is put on Schwalbe "Fat Frank" big baloon-type tires, and then only inflate them to about 35-40 pounds. Smooth as silk now. :)

Here's what mine looks like:

eBikes-14.jpg

This was just before switching to the Fat Franks, which are a bit bigger than the ones in the picture. Here's what the ones that came on my wife's Townie look like:

eBikes-19.jpg

I ordered the black ones for mine. Anyway, highly recommended.

-- Gary

nicobie said:
I really like the way that bike looks. There seems to be a shortage of them on the internet for sale. I could only find one company that sells them. Where did you find yours?

I'm curious how you like your seat post suspension. What brand is it? What do you think of the front shocks that come with the Townie. Are they adjustable so you can get a nice soft ride on the street?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm thinking of building another ebike and would like to start with a Townie 21 but nobody around where I live sells them and I'd hate to buy one off the net without trying it out.

Nick
central coast CA

Hi Nick,
Townies are nice bikes. I love mine. The shocks are good quality. Nothing fancy like Fox, but fine for the street and pretty plush riding. They're spring not air and you can adjust the rebound. The suspension seat post is by Thudbuster, and it's the next best thing to a rear suspension. I wouldn't ride without it now.
If you like riding in a more laid back upright position I would highly recommend a Townie.

Click here and type in your zip code to find a dealer near you:
http://www.electrabike.com/04/dealers/dealer_locator.cgi

Here's Electra's newly redone website:
http://www.electrabike.com/home/

I'd like to mororize my Electra Townie. I use my Electra for my main transportation to get to work, running errands and shopping. I'd like to be able to ride to work at least 15 miles each way, or more if possible ...

What are some of the options that I have to motorize my Townie? I'm also considering a gas-powered motor ... For more speed. What is the life of a motor for a bicycle?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated .... Thank you.

picture.php

Why would you want a gas powered motor... they need gas... and the noise. If you want speed a Crystalyte 5 series would blow any gasser away at the right voltage.

For your needs, I'd suggest a hub motor running a 48v 20ah battery. The 48v should get you around the 30mph range, and 20ah should get you 20 miles if heavy on the throttle, a lot more if you back off appropriately.
I can vouch for the AmpedBikes kit I have as being a great performer for my needs. They are a good bargain at $370 for a front hub kit, of $400 for a rear kit (sans battery). They're brushless gearless motors, so no maintainance. And it should last a lifetime if not overvolted too much or abused.
There's a lot of choices for hub motors out there. Spend a little time and study up on them and you'll find one that sounds just right for you.

Definately go electric. They are smooth, quiet, and powerful. And they don't pollute.

Vim said:
For your needs, I'd suggest a hub motor running a 48v 20ah battery. The 48v should get you around the 30mph range, and 20ah should get you 20 miles if heavy on the throttle, a lot more if you back off appropriately.
I can vouch for the AmpedBikes kit I have as being a great performer for my needs. They are a good bargain at $370 for a front hub kit, of $400 for a rear kit (sans battery). They're brushless gearless motors, so no maintainance. And it should last a lifetime if not overvolted too much or abused.
There's a lot of choices for hub motors out there. Spend a little time and study up on them and you'll find one that sounds just right for you.

Definately go electric. They are smooth, quiet, and powerful. And they don't pollute.

I have made up my mind to go electric ... !!! I also decided that since I need something to last as long as possible, because I will be riding bicycles as my main means of transportation for many years to come ....

I am considering spending much more than I had originally planned ... Even if I have to spend $1,000.00, that would still be better than spending between $5,000.00 and $6,000.00 to drive my van every year!

I need to find out exactly what the legalities are ... I'm guessing that I will need a special license, tags, plate, and insurance if my bicycle travels faster than 20-25mpg? I don't mind that because it will still be much cheaper than driving my van, and I probably won't need to worry about getting my bicycle smogged (?).

I'm also wondering ... what would be the expected life of my Electra Townie (before needing to start replacing parts), if I'm riding around 300-400 miles each month, using the electric motor for between 150-200 milies each month ... ???

I will still be pedaling many miles without using the motor. I work different assignments everyday, and if my assignment is less than three miles I probably won't even bother using the motor.

Vim said:

I would like to keep the original wheels ... What are the options available, if I want to keep the original wheels?

nicobie...
If you are looking for suspension seat-posts look at Kind Shock in Taiwan.They make any kind you want ,spring,oil,air,remote adjustable,etc.
Kindshock Hi-Tech Co.Ltd. E-mail- yenyue@ms49.hinet.net
They make some really nice shocks etc.,even an adjustable handlebar mount with shock.
:)

vja4Him...
I cannot tell what country you are from,in Canada you need no license,insurance etc. to ride an electric bike,that's the beauty,and no gas! :D
There are some minor restrictions,requirements the bike is supposed to conform to.
European countries haver stricter rules.
Basically,pick a bike design you really like and think is best for you.Go buy it and then motorise it with an electric kit and appropriate battery pack.
Read this forum and get some good advice before you go spending any money,well worth it.

trappermike said:
vja4Him...
I cannot tell what country you are from,in Canada you need no license,insurance etc. to ride an electric bike,that's the beauty,and no gas! :D
There are some minor restrictions,requirements the bike is supposed to conform to.
European countries haver stricter rules.
Basically,pick a bike design you really like and think is best for you.Go buy it and then motorise it with an electric kit and appropriate battery pack.
Read this forum and get some good advice before you go spending any money,well worth it.

I'm in the US, California (central valley). I've been getting some good information .... It's still a bit overwhelming ... !!! And I'm getting opposing advice. Some people are claiming to get high speeds from electric motors ... I'm wondering if perhaps I need a more expensive bicycle? If so, then I will have to go with a slower electric motor ...

I'd really like to be able to go at least 30 mph. That would be sufficient. Anyways, I won't be able to buy anything until I get my tax return, which won't be until March or April. So, I have plenty of time to research this project ....

vja4Him,
You should make a new post in the Electric Bicycles General Discussion forum about help in choosing the right parts for your needs. More people will see it there. This place has the most knowledgable guys on the net for ebikes. Just state what exact bike you have, your terrain, your commute, abilities desired, and your budget.

Vim said:
vja4Him,
You should make a new post in the Electric Bicycles General Discussion forum about help in choosing the right parts for your needs. More people will see it there. This place has the most knowledgable guys on the net for ebikes. Just state what exact bike you have, your terrain, your commute, abilities desired, and your budget.

Thanks for the suggestion. I posted my message in the Electric Bicycles General Discussion forum. Looking forward to learning more about the various electric motors ... I'm going out for a ride before another storm hits ....

turoczi said:

The battery is a 10ah and my terrain is very hilly which eats power quick. I've never pushed it until cut off, but I would estimate 15 miles with heavy throttle use and only pedaling at take offs and steep hills.
I've gone 20.5 miles before at slower speeds and lots of pedaling, and it still had juice.

Vim, nice bike. I am interested in putting either an Amped Phylion battery in the triangular opening of my bike, like you did, or possibly a Ping 36V16 or 20AH LifePO4 battery. I have a front hub WE 500watt motor on a Giant Sedona ST. Can you tell me the total width of your battery including case and if it interferes at all with pedaling? Thanks, Tony

Tony, the container I used is exactly 4.5 inches wide, and it doesn't interfere with my pedaling at all. But I'll note that with the Townie's set back seat design, the box ends up in front of the inside of my knees, where as on another bike's more forward seat position your knees may end up beside and just barely clear 4.5 inches. The Phylion battery itself though is only 2.75 inches wide. So, you could find or build a container that's even more narrow than mine just incase your frame made the position of the container closer to your knees.
Just to be safe, I would suggest something no more than 4 inches wide.

Thanks for the info Vim. Can you tell me the overall dimensions of the Phylion battery? I just want to see if the battery can be moved forward in my bikes triangle and therefore sit ahead of my knees while pedaling. I tried to get the information on the Amped site, but apparantly they are out of the Phylion at present, and I was not able to get any information. I currently run 3-12V 12AH SLA's and was wondering what performance differences I might see if I switch to a 36V10AH Phylion? I currently get a top speed (on the flats) of 22 mph and a range of 20-22 miles if I pedal about 50% of the time. Thanks, Tony

No problem, Tony. The dimensions of the Phylion are 7.75" x 2.75" x 5.75".
As far as performance differences, you're getting pretty good numbers from your SLAs and I don't think you'll get any more speed (I'm also getting 22mph) or range out of the Phylion. What you will get is less than a third the weight (which you'll love), and no noticable voltage sag that SLAs have. Power feels about as strong getting close to cut off as it does at full charge. It's a great performing well built battery for sure.
Honestly, if you're a long distance rider (18+ miles), I might go with one of those 15 to 20ah Ping batteries. Even though it'll be heavier than the 10ah Phylion because of the extra capacity, you'll never have to worry about running out on a 20+ mile ride. A 10ah is just cutting it too close IMO. And you could have Ping build it to whatever dimensions you come up with for your container. Also, even though the Ping LiFePO4 is more expensive, it has a longer lifespan than the LiMn chemistry of the Phylion.
Take your time and weigh out all plus and minuses of them both. I'd love to see what you come up with for your frame mount box, so post pics when you're finished.

Your elec townie is the blueprint for my first build, except I will use my beach cruiser frame.
I want to carry my batteries within the frame triangle, like you did.

wheelbender6 said:
Your elec townie is the blueprint for my first build, except I will use my beach cruiser frame.
I want to carry my batteries within the frame triangle, like you did.
What beach cruiser do you have, Wheelbender? I've seen a few I'd like to electrify, especially some of the Electra models. Townie 21s are my favorite. If they just made a super sport model with front & rear disc brakes and a high end suspension it would totally rock.

Updates to this bike:
-48V 10AH Ping battery
-Expert rear wheel build by Cycle 9 using Sun Rhyno Lite rim & 13/14g single butted spokes
-7 gear 11-30t freewheel
-52/42/30 Shimano Tora crankset
-Avid BB7 front disc brake
-Kool Stop rear brake pads

I've got about 2500 miles on it (2100 on the Ping) and the bike can criuse on relatively flat ground at 25-27mph with light pedaling. I do want more amps than the stock 22a, though. My terrain is 5-7% grade rolling hills with occasional 8-12% grades, so I do some heavy pedaling on hills.
This bike has been so reliable and I've got it dialed in so perfectly that I don't want to mess with it. I'm going to keep it as a backup bike and build another faster more powerful Townie soon. I've pretty much settled on the same set-up as this first bike except go with a 10x6 (2806) 9C motor with a 35A controller and a 48V 15AH 3C battery. This should get me the desired 30-32mph speed, hill climbing power, and range I'm looking for. I'd like to add a high quality 80-100mm air suspension front fork also. That should make for a pretty sweet ebike :D

SilverMachine3060.jpg

Back