Volkswagen to sell $25,900 258 mpg car in 2010

rguy56 said:
There's no way to make that for $600. Maybe $6000?
There is about $12000 just in carbon epoxy and core material costs. Also, at the design weight there is no way it could be done cheap and safe in other materials.

It definitely could be done fast, and with robots in production though, so if some one can make high grade carbon fiber for really really cheap then it's possible.

Google Amory Lovins and the "Hypercar"

http://move.rmi.org/markets-in-motion/case-studies/automotive/hypercar.html check out the video.

Look at robotic layup using unidirectional carbon fiber ribons & Nylon thermoset

http://www.fiberforge.com/resource-library/resource-library.php

http://www.rmi.org/Default.aspx?Id=1048&Cat1=Transportation&Cat2=Transportation&CatType=sharepoint

Hi,

Arlo1 said:
SO I would belive 258 us mpg is possible or even if its a normal gallon its a big number and its awesome! But yeh this thing is another internet email half informed hoax kinda thing, like the car that hit head on with a semi and everyone kept sending it to me titled "still want a smart car?" saying it was a smart car, when you could see a vw emblem in the center of the wheels! :roll:

The $600 price is bogus. The VW 1L and the basic specs are definitely real:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_1-litre_car

Volkswagen 1-litre car
The Volkswagen 1-litre car, also known as the 1L[1] (see 2009 model below), is a two-person diesel hybrid concept car produced by Volkswagen. The 1-litre car was designed to be both roadworthy and practical, while being able to travel 100 km on 1 litre of diesel fuel (equivalent to 235 miles per U.S. gallon or 282 mpg Imperial)[2]. This stems from the International System of Units unit of fuel efficiency, which is the number of litres of fuel required to travel 100 kilometers. To achieve such economy, it is produced with lightweight materials, a streamlined body and an engine and transmission designed and tuned for economy. A prototype was displayed in 2002 and limited production of the VW 1L is expected to start in 2010. The car can go 161 km/h (100 mph) but at that speed only gets 1.36 l/100 km (208 mpg-imp; 173 mpg-US).

Size and aerodynamics
For aerodynamics, the car seats two in tandem, rather than side-by-side. There are no rear view mirrors and it instead uses cameras and electronic displays. The rear wheels are close together to allow a streamlined body. The total aerodynamic drag is very small because both the drag coefficient and the frontal area are small (see drag equation). The drag coefficient (Cd) is 0.159,[2] compared to 0.30 for typical cars.

The external dimensions of the car are 3.47 m (11.4 ft) long, 1.25 m (4.1 ft) wide and 1.0 m (3.3 ft) tall.

The car features an aircraft-style canopy, flat wheel covers and an underbelly cover to smooth the airflow. The engine cooling vents open only as needed.

There is 80 L (2.8 cu ft) of storage space.

Materials
For light weight, the car uses an unpainted carbon fibre skin over a magnesium-alloy subframe. Individual components have been designed for low weight, including engine, transmission, suspension, wheels (carbon fibre), brakes (aluminium), hubs (titanium), bearings (ceramic), interior, and so on. Empty vehicle weight is 290 kg (639 lb).

Engine and drive system
The engine is a one-cylinder 299 cc (18 cu in) diesel producing just 6.3 kW (8.4 hp), but the production version will use a 2-cylinder version with somewhat higher power and a mild hybrid design. It drives through a six-speed transmission that combines stick-shift mechanics, weight, and drive efficiency with automatic convenience and efficiency controls. There is no clutch pedal. The gear selection (forwards, reverse or neutral) is made using a switch on the right-hand side of the cockpit. The engine is switched off automatically during deceleration and stops, and auto-restarted when the acceleration pedal is pressed.

Fuel consumption and range
According to Volkswagen, fuel economy is 0.99 L/100 km (238 mpg-US). A 6.5 L (1.7 US gal) fuel tank gives a driving range of 650 km (404 mi). If diesel were $3 a gallon, the fuel to travel 400 miles would cost $5.

Safety
The body and frame are designed with crush/crumple zones and roll-over protection, and the tandem seating means large side crush zones. Volkswagen claims protection comparable to a GT racing car. The production version apparently has anti-lock brakes, airbags with pressure sensors, and stability control[3].

Production and price
Volkswagen approved a limited production by 2010.[1][4] The initial price is still unknown.

swbluto said:
John in CR said:
hydro-one said:
Personally, I prefer stillness over vibration, I prefer clean air over pollution, I prefer silence to noise, I prefer not waiting in lines to 'refill' and I prefer not to financially support middle eastern despots nor terrorists.

copy that

Add I prefer Old age to early death.
I prefer not to financially support the proliferation of toxic fossil fuels or products.
I prefer not to posion the kids.
I prefer low or no maintenance to high maintentance and cost.

and evs start to look pretty ripe.

mike

I prefer an e-bike. They make sense for 90% of my transportation right now.

If only everyone lived on a tropical island. :lol:

CR isn't an island. It has Panama to the south, Nicaragua to the north, Caribbean Sea to the east, and the Pacific to the west. I lived on a tropical island for a couple of years, and I like it here a whole lot more.

Now that the correct price is listed, it's too expensive. Replace much of the carbon fiber with a far cheaper material and a slight weight and performance penalty, but sell the hell out of them at $7500.

John in CR said:
CR isn't an island. It has Panama to the south, Nicaragua to the north, Caribbean Sea to the east, and the Pacific to the west. I lived on a tropical island for a couple of years, and I like it here a whole lot more.

Now that the correct price is listed, it's too expensive. Replace much of the carbon fiber with a far cheaper material and a slight weight and performance penalty, but sell the hell out of them at $7500.

Whoops, I stand corrected. Looking at the geology, it appears it's a "strip" which probably is a lot more convenient than the spread-out US.

I would so agree with you about the price. Buuuut.... is the aerodynamic shape technically and "practically" feasible with cheaper materials than carbon fiber?

BMW Gina. See for example:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5879&p=91308&hilit=BMW#p91308

I suppose $26k isn't too bad if you would be willing to live with such a small car. I don't think the gas savings would be worth it for the average person unless they were a 2 car family, with a big truck as the other vehicle.

If I lived in CR, I would totally consider one of these. If I could live in CR right now, I would. PURA VIDA!

this here is the last design of the L1

VW_L1_4.jpg

its gonna be a 2 sitter...and its gonna be a hybrid...

VW says, that the car is gonna consume around 2,4L/100km gas...

SOP was 2012 or 2013

This is great! For some reason I had thought that VW had scrapped this project- it's good to see that it's actually going into production. Great looking car!

Go Volkswagon Go!
For comparison, or not, Messerschmitt made their KR 200 from 1955-1964, 191cc air-cooled engine getting only 56mpg... Top speed 100kmh.

Andy at ModernMicrocars UK lists a replica in GRP as driveaway for 16,500 UK pounds, about $26,500 NA dollars for what has to be fairly low production numbers:
http://www.modernmicrocars.co.uk/index.html

vehicinomics.jpg

tks
Lock

What a superb paint job! What happened to the guy (spheroid) who was converting one of those to electric?

Micheal's still here... just has other things in mind at the moment:
TalonRT-Ai-05_0.jpg

his Messerschmidt thoughts here:
Messerschmidtt.jpg

Lock

I'd almost forgotten about that till I saw your post Lock... :lol:

I'd still love to do a Messerschmidt, but I've realized that it will be a whole lot cheaper to build my own. :wink:

Been spending the last couple of months working with an Ausie in China, designing a series of hayabusa powered race cars - He's just started construction on the prototype of one of them. In my spare time, I've been playing around with some new electric trike designs ( I'll post some of them in a new thread). I would love to be able to build some of my ideas, but unfortunately do not have a workshop, nor even a place where I can plug one in.....

My kingdom for a real garage! :p

Back