Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Hi everyone new user here, i buy em100 controller but my supplier cannot configure it properly. Can anyone help me how to set up the controller in proper settings? I want to set it torque for an uphill road since our way has to much uphill. BTW my motor is QS2000w, thanks in advance.

kibe019 said:
Hi everyone new user here, i buy em100 controller but my supplier cannot configure it properly. Can anyone help me how to set up the controller in proper settings? I want to set it torque for an uphill road since our way has to much uphill. BTW my motor is QS2000w, thanks in advance.

You could start with giving us, screenshot of page 1,2, and 3 :)

Hello Guys,
I'm new to this forum. Could anybody please tell me How to start QS3000 motor which is connected to EM-150 controller.

I'm sorry to ask this stupid question from you excellent peoples. I referred the manual and connected the motor and controller but it is not starting.

I just received a Mid-Drive QS Motor 120 2000W with a Votol EM-100 72V motor controller.
I can't get the throttle voltages to stick on the software configuration but the system is running fine with a Citroen throttle.
On my application I would like to have the motor maximum speed independant from the battery voltage (vs SOC) for race purposes with mixed ICE vehicles, On the software configuration all speed limitations seem to be dependant from the maximum currently available battery voltage and this is useless to me. I would like to limit the maximum motor speed to some rpm value compatible with the end of race battery voltage level. Is this possible?

I checked it again:

Mid 95%; No Flux Weak; Prohibit the speed limit checked:
70,1V OCV -> 2260 rpm no load
79,1V OCV -> 2580 rpm no load

Mid 100%; No Flux Weak; Speed limit enabled 50%:
78,6V OCV -> 1344 rpm
72,6V OCV -> 1240 rpm

I can't find the parameter that limits the rpm independant the battery voltage.

SilentEnduro said:
some experiments soon)))

Better check out the mosfets if you're planning on doing the shunt mod (-; hopefully these are not "domestics" (eg. TDMs).

BTW we can compare it with an old P (non-CAN) version I own (the burnt one). I'm wondering if they didn't change the fets in SP as the official ratings had been decreased (470A to 380A?).

A mosfet comparison would be interesting :D

Shunt mods are not necessary since controller is unlocked..

I wonder if you can find the temp sensor (if there is one)
How are the fets mounted to the heatsink?
Is there a good heat path?

This is what's inside of EM-150P: https://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/1076441/MGCHIP/MDP10N027.html

I will post some pictures later, need to resize it. Anyway there's no obvious sign of a failure inside my controller... keep looking though. :|

Lars, what do you mean by unlocked? Batt current? Max phase amps limit still in place and unknown, IIRC? I wonder how they measure it (no lems).

SilverLine, 100V caps (SLF, CD288H).

Edit: photos (thermal "brackets" removed) https://s.amsu.ng/2ja0xjyhIU8N

So it's 24 mosfets with rds of 2.8mohm, three phases of 8 total, 4 parallel high, 4 low side.

It's either 120A per mosfet, 480A or max 8x208w dissipation (speced at 100 deg C) setting the limits with perfect current sharing. 1600+ watts is a lot to get rid of.

I wonder if there's a derating factor that could be assumed for parallel mosfets. I bet it could be found somewhere on these 300 pages :wink: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/MOSFET-Application-Handbook.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiiivfqt4vnAhVi16YKHbk1DH0QFjAOegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw2vHERYD5zz8kt3TcvezSUE

Hi all,

Lovely thread you've got going here, it's been really helpful so far!
Unfortunately I can't say the same for the VOTOL manual :roll:
I recently started testing an EM100 to replace the VESC on my electric minibike.

This is my experience so far, I hope it might be useful to others:

Setup
Controller VOTOL EM100
Motor QS 2000W Hub motor
Battery Lithium-ion 54V / 75A
Throttle Domino potentiometer with resistors (signal 1-5V)
Control 3-speed switch

Hall angle
There seems to be a difference in the direction you run. I started with -120 degrees and my motor ran forward, but poorly, specially at low RPM. Next, I changed the value to (positive) 120 degrees and of course the motor ran backwards. But really smooth and quiet, no humming.

I suspect there is a correction angle in the software itself which only works in the positive direction, but of course I can't say for sure.

Exchange hall & exchange phase
To run my motor forwards I tried every combination of the ''exchange hall'' and ''exchange phase'' options. For some reason my motor only hums with these settings. No rotation, besides maybe an initial jerk.

Finally I set the controller to 120 and physically switched the phase wires blue and green, and hall wires green and yellow. Now my motor runs really smooth in the forward direction.

3-speed & flux weakening
Right now I've connected my 3-speed switch and it shows up in display as gears L-M-H. But until now I haven't found the settings that work for me. I'm really confused by the flux weakening, specially by how it interacts with the 3-speed settings. I'd much rather had a three boxes for L-M-H acceleration and speed.

I will do some more testing soon, to be continued..

larsb said:
It's either 120A per mosfet, 480A or max 8x208w dissipation (speced at 100 deg C) setting the limits with perfect current sharing. 1600+ watts is a lot to get rid of.
Have you ever measured real (stall) phase current of your old S/P version? I'm about to install the votol again in couple days. We can compare s/p : sp. If it's still 470a, we're on a very thin line. Assuming the specs were true. I think upgrading mosfets is an option.

Mosfet specs look good as far as i can tell but i am no expert in this.

The spec shows pulsed drain current as 480A so i think the basic limitation is the cooling if design is properly balanced - for peak output 470A is not close to the limits of the mosfet specs since there are four of them..

Laerson said:
Hall angle
I suspect there is a correction angle in the software itself which only works in the positive direction, but of course I can't say for sure.

The correction is the phase angle setting. If it runs weird in one direction and good in the other means that either the setting is still not optimised towards the hall sensor location or that the rotation speed creates the need for advanced angle setting since a minimal delay in one direction will turn out as a double delay in the other direction.

Exchange hall & exchange phase
To run my motor forwards I tried every combination of the ''exchange hall'' and ''exchange phase'' options.

When the angle setting is not correct then no combination will work. I think you should ask QS what the normal phase angle shift is for this motor controller combination. It’s 60 for the 3000W..

3-speed & flux weakening
Right now I've connected my 3-speed switch and it shows up in display as gears L-M-H. But until now I haven't found the settings that work for me. I'm really confused by the flux weakening, specially by how it interacts with the 3-speed settings. I'd much rather had a three boxes for L-M-H acceleration and speed.

What’s your issue in the settings? Phase current sets torque, rpm percent sets rpm and flux weakening sets.. :D

So I'm trying to decide between a Kelly KLS and Votol EM-150SP, but I'm uncertain about a few things:

1. Since I'm running a 11s battery; can the Votol be set to a LVC of ~30V and still run reliably at that voltage?

2. For legal reasons I'd like to have the option to limit the speed to exactly 50 km/h or so, indepedent of the battery voltage (so that I can still go 50 km/h on a low battery, when the limiter is on). With a Kelly KLS that's possible, as you can set a fixed erpm limit and the controller will go up to that speed with full power, and then simply won't go higher. How does the speed limit function work in the Votol? Is there some magic behind it limiting the frequency, or does the speed limiting percentage setting only influence PWM?

Don’t buy a kelly KLS.. i’ve had five of these go kaput. Poor design, poor quality and low power.

Low volt of the votol: don’t know but fairly sure it’s in the thread already. Why 11s? That’s not any standard battery voltage so i guess you don’t have this battery already.

The rpm limit of the votol limits rpm

Ah well I've already got a Kelly KLS6018S... Phew, 5 is a lot though

Read the whole thread, but no info about lowest LVC. I've got a 11s24p 18650 DIY battery because it's the maximum voltage battery you can put in a Cityel, without risking damage to the rest of the hardware (originally came with 3x12V lead acid).

Ok, but how does it determine what 100% RPM are, without an extra setting for it? Because for example 100% rpm @40V may be 4000rpm, and 3000 rpm @30V. Without an initialization or a dedicated setting where you fill in the rpm you wish for, imo the controller can't accurately limit the rpm to e.g. 2000 rpm/50% at all charge levels. Another point is that I don't always plug the battery in fully charged, which means the controller might have different base level voltages/rpm it's starting off from.

The thing is that I want to be sure to get the functionality I wish for (and therefore I want to properly understand how it works), before buying this controller...

twikis said:
Ah well I've already got a Kelly KLS6018S... Phew, 5 is a lot though

Read the whole thread, but no info about lowest LVC. I've got a 11s24p 18650 DIY battery because it's the maximum voltage battery you can put in a Cityel, without risking damage to the rest of the hardware (originally came with 3x12V lead acid).

Ok, but how does it determine what 100% RPM are, without an extra setting for it? Because for example 100% rpm @40V may be 4000rpm, and 3000 rpm @30V. Without an initialization or a dedicated setting where you fill in the rpm you wish for, imo the controller can't accurately limit the rpm to e.g. 2000 rpm/50% at all charge levels. Another point is that I don't always plug the battery in fully charged, which means the controller might have different base level voltages/rpm it's starting off from.

The thing is that I want to be sure to get the functionality I wish for (and therefore I want to properly understand how it works), before buying this controller...

I connected a variable power supply to my EM150 and simulated an almost empty 11S battery at 33V (11S * 3,0V), it works fine.

Also tested the ''speed limit'' setting at 50%. At full throttle the RPM declines when I decrease the voltage. So when you plug in your battery half charged, you get 50% of the top speed you normally have with a half charge. I hoped the controller was smart enough to keep the RPM constant, because it could, but it doesn't. It would be nice to always have the same top speed regardless of the battery charge.

Back