Was bound to happen?

Was bound to happen?
Popular electronics repairman Louis Rossmann talks about ebiker abuse culture etc and his time riding ebikes in New York City..
titled "NYC's toxic ebike culture almost killed 4 people; let's talk about it."

I seriously detest 'news' like this ( even besides the fact that people getting injured is always a tragedy ).

'People question ebikes due to the accident' -> two electric scooters, NOT ebikes

Luckily the article does mention the speed difference. This is not about ebike safety, but proper separation of traffic. 'Illegal' mopeds have nothing to do with ebikes, you don't regulate cars based on accidents with coaches.

At least this article mentions that cars are the actual problem:

"According to the NYPD's crash statistics, there were 44,754 reported crashes between January 1 and June 23. Of those, 43,188 — or 96 percent — were caused by drivers of cars, SUVs, trucks, ambulances, vans and other heavy motorized vehicles. Just 826 crashes — or 1.8 percent — were caused by the operators of e-bikes, e-scooters, mopeds or motorbikes, according to the police. Another 740 crashes — or 1.6 percent — were caused by regular bike riders, the cops said.

Drilling down further, there have been 3,952 crashes that caused injuries to at least one pedestrian. Of those crashes, 3,784 — or 96 percent again — were caused by car and truck drivers. Only 168 — or 4.2 percent — were caused by the operators of e-bikes, e-scooters, mopeds or motorbikes, according to the police."

Last article's headline: "Huntington Beach could soon ticket, impound e-bikes"

OK, upon first glance that is a provocative headline but after reading the article it appears to be a more common sense approach to punish recurring reckless e-riders. Seems reasonable, right?

BUT:
Let's first approach this problem in a similar fashion to what is actually being done for reckless automobile drivers. Not sure about what goes on in Huntington Beach but in my area there is constant prevalent reckless driving (excessive speed, unsafe passing, ignoring signals, road rage, excessively loud, using motor vehicles as a weapon, using motor vehicles to bash in a storefront to commit burglary, etc.) that goes unpunished. And at a far far greater magnitude than that of any infrequent ebike reckless riding.

So I would like to know if Huntington Beach is successfully punishing its reckless motor vehicle drivers before aiming its attention on ebike riders.

Last article's headline: "Huntington Beach could soon ticket, impound e-bikes"

OK, upon first glance that is a provocative headline but after reading the article it appears to be a more common sense approach to punish recurring reckless e-riders. Seems reasonable, right?

BUT:
Let's first approach this problem in a similar fashion to what is actually being done for reckless automobile drivers. Not sure about what goes on in Huntington Beach but in my area there is constant prevalent reckless driving (excessive speed, unsafe passing, ignoring signals, road rage, excessively loud, using motor vehicles as a weapon, using motor vehicles to bash in a storefront to commit burglary, etc.) that goes unpunished. And at a far far greater magnitude than that of any infrequent ebike reckless riding.

So I would like to know if Huntington Beach is successfully punishing its reckless motor vehicle drivers before aiming its attention on ebike riders.
They cannot fine or prosecute an offender if they do not catch or identify them.
If they cannot identify motor vehicle drivers, they will have much less chance of identifying Ebike riders.

I would like that too. Also, a pony.

Swine gonna swine. They live to blame victims and exonerate malicious car drivers. I wish it weren't so, but a lifetime of observed experience suggests that's just how it is.

Last edited:
This is beyond comprehension and tragic:
:cry:
Man, I would hope that folks who buy into so corrupt, vicious, and amoral an institution would eventually succumb to self-recrimination.

Back