waterproofing controller/battery connection

keru

10 mW
Hi,
I'm looking for a way to waterproof my connection going from the battery to the controller.
I want to keep the battery with me, so I unplug/plug every time I park, so I can't just put heatshrink tube around the connection.
I'd like, just in case, to be able to plug the battery even if it's raining without risking a short du to rain going but I'm not sure how.
For now, I'm using anderson pp45, I try to make sure I'll be able to plug in a dry place and I keep the connection inside the battery bag.
If anybody has an idea of other plugs, I can change the plug for this connection.
Thanks a lot,
Keru.

I keep my controller/battery connection inside my triangle bag with my battery. Also use Anderson Power Pole Connectors and no issues so far. Try not to ride in the rain but get caught out occasionally. I used silicone grease on some of the other connections to protect against water.

I'm liking the Weather-Pack connectors shown midway down in this thread.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2767

Now as far as plugging it in when it is actually raining... Er...

No... Just no.. I get cold goosebumps just thinking about it.

Ok I remembered something from my childhood over 40 years ago.. Crazy Uncle...

He was an electrician.. ( Was )

He had an extension cord hanging down out side one of his garage/workshop windows with the cord run through a large plastic funnel...

Yep he would plug things into that outside in the rain...

I use a section of inner tube over my connectors siliconed and cable tied either side of the connector but mine are left in place all the time. I suppose you could mount the inner tube to whichever is the higher end of the connector, cable tie and silicone it to stop water running down the cable then cut the tube a couple of inches longer than needed. You then insert the other end up the inner tube to make the connection.
Tony

You can buy rubber boots for anderson connectors, a male and a female, one sits just inside the other overlapping. Use some self amalgamating rubber tape to wrap around the neck of the boots at the cable side on the neck.

Try ebay for both tape and the boots

Make a permanent and waterproof connection to the controller, so your wire will now be long enough to relocate the plug you use to connect to a waterproof but accessible place, like inside your battery bag.

Re phrased, put a longer wire on your controller.

inner tube filled with silicone over connector?
How do you disconnect this?
seriously?
Not simply solder wires and cover with heatshrink tubing?
The all idea of connector is to disconnect and connect back when you need it.
Ever heard of weather-proof power connectors like DELPHI?
Of course Chinese don't use them because they cost $$$.

I never suggested filling the inner tube with silicone, go back and read the post. The silicone is used in conjunction with a couple of cable ties to form a water tight seal so water cannot run down the cable, the tube is then cut a couple of inches longer than the wire so as to shield the connector from the elements. Using this method I have ran in all weather for nearly 3 years on standard XT60 connectors with no sign of corrosion.
No I have not heard of DELPHI connectors, I've never needed them. Why spend €€€ when you don't have to?
Ever heard of reading the question before you try answer it?
Seriously?

I use shrink wrapped bullets on connectors I seldom have to split when they are out in the weather. But like you said, put the 45A Anderson connectors in my battery bag or sometimes under the seat with no waterproofing at all. Oh, and I re-purposed a handlebar grip to stuff many wires in including the battery wire, programming connector, throttle connector. One of those just for now permanent solutions. This is covered by me when I ride and I always park in a sheltered area so it sees little moisture. No real seal of any kind on it. Never had a problem in 10K and ride in the rain plenty. I also wash my bike like I wash the car so things do get wet sometimes.

miro13car said:
tony
so "siliconed" as you wrote means you apply silicone on the ends of piece of inner tube.
Why did you write it in first place?
So everytime you need to disconnect you reuse those ties and reapply silicone?
really?
Speaking of elegant technical solution :lol:
Not only DELPHI connector is splash-proof but also feature lock /no so common "loose connector here"/, also realize DELPHI uses not crap material for contacts but real silver plated.
They are not so expensive \in Western world/ as you think , for sure expensive for China brands obsessed with cutting costs.

tony67 said:
I use a section of inner tube over my connectors siliconed and cable tied either side of the connector
Maybe i should have written in French just for you. Since you command of English is obviously sketchy.

"So everytime you need to disconnect you reuse those ties and reapply silicone?"
If you read my original post you'd have seen I said " mine are left in place all the time." I disconnect very rarely but when I do all I have to do is snip 2 cable ties and peel the tube from the cable, and no, I use 2 fresh cable ties every time imagine that. Sure I live in the western world too so I'm also loaded like you.

Tell ya what, ill draw you a picture since you struggle with words. Stay tuned. :D

Thanks, I thought about the rubber tube. I did that on another bike, but like you I kept it permanent.
For the delphi connectors, I didn't know there name and did not find them, thanks for the name. They seem to actually be not that expensive, and for peace of mind that could be worth it.

ah funny!
I saw the review from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q2xZfrUwbc some time ago was wondering what I could use it for :)
Still not sure how, but that's fun. Not sure why it would be better than having some kind of cover, would that let the electricity pass but allow the water not to accumulate on the plugs, avoiding shorts?

Re silicone, there is a grease that is used to increase water resistance on car plugs, especially trailer plugs. That is one option for making it water resistant, but not water proof. 4mm bullets, and the grease will get you through a lot.

Picking at the words, but waterproof means soldering it and permanently sealing it. That's why I said move the removable connection to a dry location, like inside the battery bag.

well ... something I didn't think about waterproofing: the throttle.
When not on the trike, because of rain getting in the throttle I guess, the motor went full blast, and the crankset hit the wall. Good thing there was a wall :)

Back