What are your essential long ride tools?

Cash helps. When I commuted with a bike that fit on the racks, I carried bus fare.

Never used it, I could pedal home with a flat tire and no motor faster than the bus would come. For some reason, every breakdown happened 5 min after the bus just passed me. Next bus in 55 min.

I have used the chain breaker, patch kit, air pump, allen wrenches, spoke wrenches, and wire nuts to get me home at some point. Some of it might not have mattered so much if I just fixed it when I got home.

But I like being able to fix it right now, when I notice a problem like a loose spoke or maladjusted brakes.

I've used the bags to hide from huge rain, and definitely eaten the food and drank the water.

- couple wrenches. Exactly what is needed to remove the wheels, no more.
- spare tube
- spare spokes
- pump
- jesus tape
- fifty euros or something

I can pedal back home on most cases if electronics break, even from far, it will just take some time.
18 km/h is comfortable speed without E-power.
Outside electronics weakest link is propably the Nexus hub. They can break suddenly. It is rare, but it has happened for me once. One small sprocket tooth broke off and jammed whole thing.

Never had to tighten a handlebar bolt, or have the disk brake adjusting vibrate loose? I gotta have the hex wrenches.

Yep. Having to ride home with the handlebars flopping about in the riser clamp is why I taped the allen key to the frame. It also happens to fit almost every other bolt on the bike :)

For long rides expect a tire flat. It may not happen, but its good to bring with your a tube and tools to fix a flat. Bring water, and a spare battery if you can. Make sure your cell phone charged.

dogman said:
Never had to tighten a handlebar bolt, or have the disk brake adjusting vibrate loose? I gotta have the hex wrenches.

Never. Though i actually have one hex for handlebar because i have to push handlebar down every time i move the bike by elevator from my seventh floor down. I did not mention it, i carry it in my pocket.

glock17.jpg

I always carry these a small multimeter, 7 inch Knipex pliers/channelocks for axle nuts and a small assortment of wire connectors, wire and jumpers. No longer carry the co2 filler as I had a flat with three holes once and it would not fill the tire enough times so left me stranded. I have a smallish hand pump now.

Don't forget to put a flask of single malt into your first aid kit....for medicinal purposes of course. :twisted:

Battery charger and an extension cord. I used to carry other stuff, but getting completely off of bicycle tires ended that. I give my batteries a thorough review, so I can ride with complete faith in my system. If I can build absolutely reliable ebikes, anyone can.

e-beach said:
Don't forget to put a flask of single malt into your first aid kit....for medicinal purposes of course. :twisted:

Got you, good medicine for a punctured tube, when you need to clean tube surface before applying patch.
But a blend might do in a pinch?

Back