What battery connector should I be using for a 48v 1000w system?

kmxtornado

10 kW
My controller is a 22amp, so I figure any connector type will suffice. Curious though how you guys determine what connector type to use. Anderson poles, XT60's, deans? Please comment and say why you picked that connector type over the others.

My ebike conversion currently has anderson poles, but the battery I'm looking at has deans. I'm not really a fan of deans so I'd probably be swapping out the connector for a different type and figured I'd reach out to you guys and see what your thoughts are.

I often prefer Anderson SB connectors, because they don't come loose if I don't want them to, and they have the sacrificial tips for situations where I don't have a precharge or other system to move that spark from the battery connector, and they come in very large sizes if I ever need those.

Mostly I use the SB50, which is the same contacts as the PP75, but in a tougher housing that comes in several keyed varieties so you can't plug the wrong things together if you ever needed that. (has been useful in the past when I had multiple systems with different voltages).

Disadvantages:
--the connector is very large, bulky.
--Not even water resistant (open frame) (can fill with dielectric grease to deal with that)

Best crimped rather than soldered (but I've found that crimped contacts tend to break conductors off a lot less than soldered ones, over time with vibration and such).

They're pretty overkill for a system like yours (personally I prefer overkill; I'm a little hard on stuff).

The PP45 would probably work fine for yours, but they can come loose pretty easily, even if you use the high-retention-force version of the contacts, and the springs in the housings are not very strong (compared to the SB50 and larger housings), so they do not force good contact between mating contacts under circumstances where the incoming wires are twisted relative to each other. (this has caused all sorts of grief for people with motor phase connections over the years, and sometimes battery connections).

Some have used XT60 or XT90 fine for this application...I don't like them (or deans) because they are solder-only. If they made a crimping version I might like them more. :)

Back