What chain do you use on your mid drive E-Bike?

Two guys can use the same chain and wear it out after 500 or 2500 miles. If riding conditions are identical, everything is in the lubrication.
Some use special chain wax once a week, someone else oils each month- the difference in wear is astronomic.
Oil and grease seem to attract sand and dirt, turning into a grinding compounds. Wax does not mix with dirt , it seems to work better under such conditions. I use wax and medium priced KMC chains, works for me, but I'm pretty undecided what is best.

Dirt is a very important factor, but not allone, if we look at timing chains in engines, which run in clean oil without sand.
Usually, with cars, timing chains can live forever, but the pressure on the parts that transmit the power is really high. A German auto maker went from belts to chains with a new engine generation. At the same time they reduced the additives in the low SAPS engine oils for stupid reasons, also these for high pressure. The result where timing chains constandly failing, after a fraction of the usual life time. Around 25.000 miles and less. They where doing more engine than oil changes at the dealers, after failing to blame the customers for this defect.
The solution is to use "normal" high quality oil and change it more frequently. We put these additives in the oil for a reason!
Even Ole Sam, from the gas station down the road, could have told these super clever auto makers this would happen.

So someone buying the most expensive chain may not enjoy it for a long time if he picks the wrong lube at the wrong intervall.

currently running a BBSHD hardtail im using a 11speed shimano linkglide ebike chain its pretty cheap around 16€ well see how long it holds up

Two guys can use the same chain and wear it out after 500 or 2500 miles. If riding conditions are identical, everything is in the lubrication.

In my observation from a long time fixing bikes, chainline and gear choice (or lack of making choices) both play an equally large part in how quickly a chain gets rekt. The best best ones are from customers who use the POB approved gear combination (small front/small rear with a triple crank) to the exclusion of all other gears, but never lubricate their chain with anything. Honorable mention to those whose friend told them olive oil would work fine, and whose chains acquire thereby a savory breading of polymerized vegetable oil and trail grit. This is actually multiple people during my experience working in the bike shop.

Reactions: pwd
So what is your conclusion? Not putting anything on your chain is best? Leave it allone until it falls off?
I would appreciate this as the best sollution, I'm quite lazy and don't like to spent money on chain lube products.
Better use the money to buy recreative pipe fill? Maybe we can agree on the last?

Last edited:
Plus one for the single speed chain or belt drive, add the hub gear of your choice. Cassettes and mid drives over 250W are not besties.

Plus one for the single speed chain or belt drive, add the hub gear of your choice. Cassettes and mid drives over 250W are not besties.
Also most internal gear hubs don't play well with mid drive. Some of them don't even survive powerful pedaling. I personally wouldn't use a mid drive with any of them that have 4 to 8 gears, nor the Shimano Alfine 11 or Sachs Elan 12.

So what is your conclusion? Not putting anything on your chain is best? Leave it allone until it falls off?
I would appreciate this as the best sollution, I'm quite lazy and don't like to spent money on chain lube products.
Better use the money to buy recreative pipe fill? Maybe we can agree on the last?

WD-40 Dry Chain Lube works very well. Just need to scrape off the two rear derailleur pulleys every 50 miles or so. It will leave a lot of residue but it works pretty good.

Supposedly mid-drive chainrings, chains and cassettes last 50% as long as the equivalent drivetrain on a normal non-ebike. If most mid-drive people are using 8/9 speed, that means they have to spend maybe $50 USD in parts every 750-1500 miles instead of every 1500-3000 miles. Not exactly the end of the world if you ask me. I'm using 11-speed so I need to finesse the timing of changing stuff around a bit more, but the bottom line is that you need money to ride an electric bike. Electric bikes are not just buy it and ride it forever without sooner or later spending more money on it.

Chain lube is like $8. Just do it lol.

Currently I'm using Honda "Manual Transmission Fluid", which is a very low viscosity gear oil.
1/2 qt left over from when I had a 1988 Accord.
Working out well now that I only ride in fair weather.

Before that chainsaw bar oil, which is high viscosity and really sticky and water resistant.
Was useful when I commuted to work in all kinds of weather, but does catch a lot of dirt.

Before that I used Finish Line Cross Country. Tat was the last bike specific lube I bought (20+ years ago).
Similar to the bar oil, but much more expensive, so when the FL bottle ran out...

Long ago I tried wax+solvent lube, but that was too much work, re-applying after each ride in the rain etc.

In my experience the type/brand of lube is less important than cleaning the chain thoroughly periodically, and not letting it go dry.
I use the Park Tool gauge and replace chains when they reach 0.5%.

I recently changed out the drivetrain on my Porterlight cargo bike, new rear wheel, Sturmey Archer X-RK4 (excellent for 20" small wheel mid drives) to complete this I added a KMC Z1eHX Wide EPT E-Bike Chain, which seems super sturdy and twice as beefy as a standard single speed chain. Hope this is of some use.

Back