What is causing my Kelly to regen?

veloman

10 MW
I'm using an older KDHA brushed Kelly controller on my emoto. I have all the settings for regen on OFF. Yet, when the bike is moving and I roll back on the hall throttle, I get regen. This is really annoying, especially at stop signs.

The issue is that the controller seems to interpret a throttle voltage as regen when the speed of the bike is higher than the corrosponding throttle voltage.

So let's say I am riding a steady speed of 20mph. I release the throttle, then when I roll the throttle back on, at say 10 or 15mph (or any speed above 2mph) the controller does regen at a very partial throttle position. I can actually hold the throttle there and the regen will stay on until I come to a stop. But normally I want to accelerate and so after coasting, I roll on the throttle, get regen deceleration for a split second, and then I accelerate as the throttle is applied further.

Any ideas how to stop this from happening? I've been changing the settings in the controller, but nothing stops it. Maybe a resistor on the voltage line of the throttle?

If you roll back the throttle to 10% say, after coming back from a higher speed, it will want to set the speed of the motor back to 10% - which will in effect make the motor regen until it reaches that point. I don't think you can stop this from happening, you just have to get used to it...

I've never experienced anything like this on all my builds, some included brush motors too. On my BLDC hub motors running a throttle speed that is less than the motor speed just means less wattage goes into the motor (as if it's doing no-load).

This probably comes from synchronous control of the FETs, it would not happen if a diode were being used for the recirculating current, but for higher efficiency they use a FET which effectively enables "slip regen". I would think they would have code to recognize this reverse current flow and shut down the FETs, perhaps there is a feature you can enable to do this.

A diode to prevent energy from going back to the battery might stop it, but the resulting unloaded voltage may rise to a dangerous level and cause a failure.

A few months ago I asked them for help on this and they refused, saying they don't support older models.

Has anyone had this problem on a Kelly brushed controller? I have a smaller new controller I put on my wife's scooter, and that operates smooth as ever.

Back