What is the very cheapest battery setup for 10+ miles.

5ah of rc lipo costs about $75 but you will need a reusable bms ($20-$70) and charger ($60)

edit: At 1.5kg it is also the lightest proper battery. However, 3 car batteries and a car charger is much cheaper

This is presuming 36v and no faster than 20mph

5AH of 12s (44.4V) rc lipo will cost ~$75 using 4s packs. A balance charger will cost as little as $20. That's all you really need. That will get you 10 miles at ~20mph. More if you go slower. Less if you go faster.

It currently is set up 24v 500w, but since it's a brush motor I can get a different controller pretty cheap.

Those 5000mah 4s packs are a pretty good deal, would that work with a 48v controller?

12s lipo works perfectly with a 48V controller.

I don't think 5 ah will really cut it for 20 mph, in 24v. Why? I think you will just wear out the thing fast, if you drain every bit from it every ride. So you really only have about 4.5 ah of working capacity, and even less if you undercharge to make it last longer. And you said 10+ miles, not 10 at the most.

But lico (lipo) is likely to be the cheapest option. Get 7s, which is "24v". and get 10 ah of that. If you go to 48v, you will be able to go much faster, and just use power faster, needing more battery.

Just how tight is your budget? That ebay vendor for lifepo4 looked to have a pretty good price.

wesnewell said:
5AH of 12s (44.4V) rc lipo will cost ~$75 using 4s packs. A balance charger will cost as little as $20. That's all you really need. That will get you 10 miles at ~20mph. More if you go slower. Less if you go faster.
I second this. :D

You might like a safe and sane battery. Cheapest would lead as a startup set. But lead is dead. and at 24v there are other and cheaper in the long run. Lipo cost add up as you need a power supply and charger a monitor for LVC ect. Plus the fire thing. Where do you live ?
Also is this a 24v -36v- 48v or would you like 72 volt. You sound all over the place on voltage you would like. Just let us know some more about this bushed motor kit as 24v my be your only opion.

alpharalpha said:
Then that's not a bad way to go; my only concern is the fire issue. I bring the bike inside.

You may of noticed both myself and Wes came up with the same batteries, but I specified $100 worth of associated electronics and Wes specified $20 worth. The reason is one of safety. All the fire threads are doing it the $20 way. No commercial design would even dream of doing it like that. I don't see it as a viable approach.

I'm not actually sure the $20 method exists tbh. Not just in my mind, but actually on the shelves. I do have a $20 charger, but it means charging my pack in 3 pieces, so takes 3 times longer and it's messing about that causes wiring faults that lead to fire. Also it does not plug in to the wall, it needs a car to run it, or a decent psu. Nor does it offer any lvc protection, which is another common cause of fires. My first one blew up, and my second over charges, another common cause of fires. It is just an emergency charger if my proper one busts.

I believe in the $20 option about as much as I believe in santa.

I guess you believe in santa then. How about a $9 4s balance charger.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21044__Hobbyking_DC_4S_Balance_Charger_Cell_Checker_30w_2s_4s.html
Use a 6x 4s parallel balance cable and charge up to 6 at once.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__32032__JST_XH_Parallel_Balance_Lead_4S_250mm_6xJST_XH_.html

Cheapest is SLA ... especially if you don't mind the extra space nor weight.

To you guys suggesting RC Lipo to a newbie: Shame on you

Hey, they suggested it to Floont too, and look how well that turned out.

[urlhttp://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48388&hilit=monzilla&start=25]Dig[/url]

If you start bulk charging lipo and walk off and leave it, sooner or later it will bite you in the ass. I don't think anyone here suggested he do that.

Fair enough; he wasn't a noob when his lipo battery burned down his house. I first took note of him when he popped up this spring with a Walmart bike and 125V of Hobby King lipo, so I sort of assumed he was a noob just from that.

Wesnewell: I see you tell noobs all the time to get HK lipo and zero-quality chargers, and not once has your advice been accompanied by the caveat that you have to babysit them all the time unless you're cool with burning your house down. Seems like too important a detail to leave out.

Chalo said:
Fair enough; he wasn't a noob when his lipo battery burned down his house. I first took note of him when he popped up this spring with a Walmart bike and 125V of Hobby King lipo, so I sort of assumed he was a noob just from that.

Wesnewell: I see you tell noobs all the time to get HK lipo and zero-quality chargers, and not once has your advice been accompanied by the caveat that you have to babysit them all the time unless you're cool with burning your house down. Seems like too important a detail to leave out.

They are like the frickin devil battery !

Be your friend and buddy for many rides then burn your house down !

Chalo said:

Then you haven't read all my post. I've stated many times that I balance charge with the battery right next to my computer. I have bulk charged a few times a couple of years ago, but never where I couldn't get to it quick if there was a problem. I've also suggested a timer for anyone bulk charging, especially if the charger has a higher output than the battery pack full voltage.
Anything with electricity to it in your house is subject to catching fire and burning your house down.

wesnewell said:
Chalo said:

Then you haven't read all my post. I've stated many times that I balance charge with the battery right next to my computer. I have bulk charged a few times a couple of years ago, but never where I couldn't get to it quick if there was a problem. I've also suggested a timer for anyone bulk charging, especially if the charger has a higher output than the battery pack full voltage.
Anything with electricity to it in your house is subject to catching fire and burning your house down.

He's not talking about ALL your posts cumulatively. There's no way this new guy is going to understand that.

All he (the OP) reads is that experienced members here are suggesting that he use this battery chemistry (LiPo).

To the OP:

It's a lot of work to go the LiPo route safely. Take it from a guy that has the proper respect for the inherent dangers and is willing to personally mitigate those: Don't go to LiPo until you have spent at least a year on this board reading about how to handle it. I say a year because there is A LOT of noise to sift through on this site regarding the safety of the LiPo/LiCo cell chemistry

I am also in FL and might be interested in those recycled lithium batteries as I'd really enjoy building something myself if cost effective (and if he has anymore.)

From what I hear my Wilderness Energy brush motor will take different voltages providing I just buy a cheap controller for the new voltage, but like has been mentioned lower voltage will last longer, and the distance is what's most important right now.

The eBay listing for the 36v 20ah is for 1c and weighs about 1/2 (8lbs) of what most of the other lithium batteries are being sold so I'm thinking 1c equals one half of the power of 2c. Have to research this more.

And regarding lipo, while it's seeming a bit much for starting out I am interested. Which 7s would you suggest? Are those 4s packs recommended because they are a good price for what you get energy wise? How would I know when I've dishcarged too much, by hooking up a voltmeter where I can see it while riding?

Lastly, I am hoping for a good turnout on the recycled batteries (thanks for the tip!) if all else fails it looks like there are proper lifepo4 24v 10ah buy it now for $190 shipped, they are the same weight as those sketchy 36v 20ah and I believe were also 2c.

I'll bet lead will last longer then cheap stuff coming from hobbyking.

Back