What LSM's are available in Canada?

granolaboy

100 W
Hey guys,

It seems to me that Canada has completely abandoned Limited Speed Motorcycle class electric scooters (or the EV companies have abandoned Canada...who knows).

EVT is dead and gone. Lots of scooters to be had from around the world, but nobody stands a chance of registering them in Canada.

Motorino still sells their Gtx scooter, and of course there is brammo and zero if you have $20k and a bit of a death wish...

What else is there? Seems you can either ride an e-bike class scooter (meh), buy from motorino, or shell out for a zero/brammo.

And yah, I could get an ICE scooter or motorbike and convert it, but that's a whole different can of worms...

Anyone know of other companies making electric scoots that can be actually registered in Canada?

The only way to make sure you get the right answers is to go to your local "Service Ontario" center, take a number, sit and wait your turn and then ask all the questions you want. Then come back here and give us all the answers so we don't have to go ourselves. :lol:

I ride a Zero you can put together for ~10k with all new parts or a lot less with used stuff as I did.
As for the power scooters? You are talking about something 2hp or less top speed of 70km/h or less as ICBC suggests? Then you will find the cost of something with quality is to much compared to a 49cc ICE scooter.

The problem is which getting the government to allow them into Canada at a fair price. Most companies just turn away because our government is to expensive to deal with.

I am rebuilding motoblade and it fitted 2600usd budget. 70kmh top speed (could do more with smaller sprocket as there is plenty of power) 19kW peak, 60AH 48V batteey with leaf cells.

Well, electric can't compare in price to second hand ICE bikes...either motorbikes or scooters. I can go on craigslist with under $1000 and come out with a pretty kick ass ICE scooter or motorbike. You can't even justify money saved on gas...but that's not the point. I think most of the problem is they haven't been around enough to form a decent second-hand market that can compare to what's there for ICE vehicles...but this is all besides the point. We are all willing to pay 4 times as much to have an electric ride, because it's awesome and we love it.

The 72v motorino gtx, with lifepo4 batts, is $5600 before tax. That's really not bad, and you can program the controller, and unlimit it to go faster than 70. I'll take that any day over a $2000 stink bike.

The ZEV guys say their scoots can be registered in Canada, but there's brutal import fees.

I see used zeros on craigslist now and again, which would be the best power:money ratio, but they are few and far between. Probably speaks to the customer satisfaction with zero bikes.

I'm left with the obvious answer here:

Find a registrable rolling chassis motorbike or scooter and convert it.

agniusm said:
I am rebuilding motoblade and it fitted 2600usd budget. 70kmh top speed (could do more with smaller sprocket as there is plenty of power) 19kW peak, 60AH 48V batteey with leaf cells.

You are either joking, or I'm not clear on what a motoblade is, or you are actually going that fast on a motorized skateboard.

If it's the latter...well, I mentioned before you'd need a bit of a death wish to ride a zero...I stand corrected.

granolaboy said:
I mentioned before you'd need a bit of a death wish to ride a zero...I stand corrected.
Why??? they are a totally user friendly motorcycle and millions of people around the world use motorcycles on a daily basis. Zeros are easier to ride the a normal motorcycle as well.

Arlo1 said:
granolaboy said:
I mentioned before you'd need a bit of a death wish to ride a zero...I stand corrected.
Why??? they are a totally user friendly motorcycle and millions of people around the world use motorcycles on a daily basis. Zeros are easier to ride the a normal motorcycle as well.

I'm just speaking to my personal size, strength, and riding experience. I'm not dissing zero motorcycles AT ALL...beautiful machines, and one day I'd love to own one. But for now, they're too expensive and just too damn powerful for me. I don't think you'll find any experienced rider suggesting someone new go out and get a 750 Ninja for their first bike; they'll tell you to punt around for a year on a MUCH less powerful bike, and ONLY then upgrade to something faster. I'm going to follow this advice. It was given to me by the guy who runs the Harley Davidson shop in Calgary, so I think he knows what he's talking about.

Once I've done the motorcycle course, have a motorcycle license, and have a year or so experience riding something, say, half as powerful as a new zero, then I'm sure I'll change my tune.

but for now I'm looking for something that can be registered, insured (I'm not getting another scooter ripped off without theft insurance and a registered VIN), and goes somewhere in the 70-120km/hr range. I suppose that means not being a LSM class bike, but hey...i can limit it for the inspection ;)

Arlo1 said:
granolaboy said:
Why??? they are a totally user friendly motorcycle and millions of people around the world use motorcycles on a daily basis. .
... and millions of others consider riding any motor cycle is a death wish !
Its not the bike, or the rider , but other dumb road users that are the biggest risk.
There are only 2 types of bike rider.....
... those that have had an accident...
...and those that are going to have an accident !! ` :wink:

Hillhater said:
There are only 2 types of bike rider.....
... those that have had an accident...
...and those that are going to have an accident !! ` :wink:
The same can be said for cars. I feel like crap riding around in a cage. 99% of my commuting is on 2 wheels. I don't ride like the average person. I spend a lot of time pushing the limits. So when I crash its not a surprise but I also get some epic skills doing so. Spent my life in motor sports and I think riding on the street can be something you don't need to get hurt from but one must learn to ride like you are invisible.

Oh for sure car drivers can also be accident victims even if they don't cause one themselves.
But, the consequences are likely to be less injurious to the body, even at highway speeds.
It's a very fine line between " epic skill" and serious injury , when riding a bike .
Even the mighty have succumbed to minor mistakes , Simoncelli, Rossi, Dohan, Martin Aston , etc

Hillhater said:
Even the mighty have succumbed to minor mistakes , Simoncelli, Rossi, Dohan, Martin Aston , etc
Should we make a list of all the people who encounter sickness from being to afraid to leave the couch because its "not safe" to do what every "dangerous thing" it was they were to afraid to do?

stairs are dangerous, balconies, water, sun, exhaust, processed foods, GMO's, most meats in the USA are bad for you the list goes on. YOU ARE GOIN TO DIE everyone does. Its how do you want to live that is the question. Sitting on the couch worried about shit, to me is not living!

"living " an adrenalin based life is fine when you are young and careless.. thats what most of us do/did,... ride bikes, dive off bridges, train surf, etc
.. but once you take on a few responsibilities, family, kids etc and understand that you don't necessarily survive or even fully recover from some accidents , the most folks begin to asess the risk & cost factor in their choices and opt for the safer/sensible compromise.
There is more to life than being fueled up on adrenalin, alcohol, drugs, etc.

Hillhater said:
"living " an adrenalin based life is fine when you are young and careless.. thats what most of us do/did,... ride bikes, dive off bridges, train surf, etc
.. but once you take on a few responsibilities, family, kids etc and understand that you don't necessarily survive or even fully recover from some accidents , the most folks begin to asess the risk & cost factor in their choices and opt for the safer/sensible compromise.
There is more to life than being fueled up on adrenalin, alcohol, drugs, etc.
Yes as I said. When I have these responsibilities as I do.... I chose to be active rather then suffer from heart disease or something of that nature from being afraid to move.

Back