what precisely does an electric brake lever do?

parajared said:
I am considering installing a potentiometer knob on my handlebars and routing the e-brake/regen electrical line to it. What precisely is an electric brake lever? Is it a digital signal modifier, a PWM device, an on-off switch?
Just a switch that closes when you pull on the lever.

parajared said:
Bummer, I was hoping for a "set regen strength value" PWM knob or lever.
You can do that with some controllers. I think the Phaserunner from Grin Tech uses an analog signal input for the brake, so it can realtime-vary the strength of regen.

Lebowski's design can do it, but there's no prebuilt units to buy--you have to build it yourself (I'm working on a pair, slow going as I collect the parts, partly just so I can have variable regen control on the fly). There *are* brain board PCBs you can buy (whereswally606, etc), to simplify things, and a number of good threads around on how to build one in various ways and power levels.

Some other controllers can also do that; look around in teh for sale section and there might be some modern "infineon" (not really but people call them that) types.

There's also controllers (one version of the Grinfineon could, at one time) that when you engage the ebrake signal the throttle becomes a brake-strength modifier.

There are also expensive (and hard to setup) ones like Sevcon.

I don't know how hard Mobipus controllers are to setup, or their cost, but they'll work too.

Some Kelly controllers might do it; cant' recall.

There are also controllers that can have their regen level programmed, but not on-the-fly; so those are not what you're after (so make sure you look at the specs to see if that's what they are before you get one).

But on most controllers, if they have regen at all, they only have on or off.

parajared said:
I will have to hit up Lyen and see if that's an option on my controller.

According to his Lyen 12 fet thread it looks like it's just enable/disable.

Most if not all Infineon-type boards are just on/off regen. It's only the newer controllers that may have that function.

Back