What type of wire to buy

dimpirate

100 W
Hey guys, I have to extend some of my controller wires. I have a Lyen 12 fet.
I have to extend some of the 23 gauge and some of the 12 gauge.
Where should I buy and what type do you recommend?
Thanks
Fred

The silicone wire sold at Hobby King and other places is popular. Nice and flexible and high temp insulation.

Car parts store wire works though, if you are in a rush. Not really cheaper given thier mark up, but not crazy high cost if you don't mind one color.

Depending on your skill level, the best bet is to open the controller and replace the 12 gauge with 10 gauge right to the board. The Hobby King Silicone wire is great for the price, if its in stock. For the thinner low power stuff, its not going to matter much. Just find something cheap that isn't garbage, or use what you have laying around.

Wojtek also sells the silicone stuff on this forum. Worth looking into, he might have a few different colors, and HK is out of stock quite often.

Don't use home depot wire. It's a pain to work with.

Might as well upgrade power cables to 8 gauge or lower while you're at it. HK wire is good. You can get some decent stuff on ebay shipped from the US if you're in a rush as well.

epbuddy.com is local to me & I have met him before.. prices are good and he ships pretty damn quick.
I recommend him as well as HK , but he'd be faster in the US.

Thanks!!!
I was horrified by what they had at home depot, auto store only place I didn't check out RadioShack and electric store close by didn't have much usefull either.
In the mean time Lyen is sending me a bit of the 12 and 23 gauge to make extensions.
I didn't want to get into opening controller yet, never have and it's my first bike, for sure something I'll do in future.
I'll be using an 18s4pwith this power what would the advantage be to using 10 or 8 gauge?
I should be safe running controller at 65 amps with 12 gauge as well correct? (more amps?)

ohzee said:
epbuddy.com is local to me & I have met him before.. prices are good and he ships pretty damn quick.
I recommend him as well as HK , but he'd be faster in the US.

I may have to try him next time...HK takes forever.

Except for the 100' of Silver-plated Mil-Spec 10-AWG stuff, I purchase all my wire from the local Electronics supply in my metro. It’s a neat place and you have the opportunity to inspect product at hand. If I’m in a pinch, Radio Shack is a mile away and they have decent spools of small-gauge, 12- and 10-AWG, and Zipline.

Cheers, KF

18s and 65A is a reasonably decent amount of power. 12awg would be the smallest I'd even think of with that sort of power. 10 would be better, 8 is probably overkill. The proof will be in the pudding- whichever wire you use, the aim is that it doesn't get warm during peak useage as that means power is being wasted.

Back