• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Where did everyone go?

Tommy L

100 kW
I’m guilty but I had a big move from Canada to USA in late 2015. Then 3 months later my wife had the first of 4 strokes. She has also been in Heart failure and has a pacemaker/Defribulator......
And just when things were getting back to normal, we purchased a house and now my wife has gone downhill as of late and now needs a heart transplant.

I use to see Ypedal and Doc Bass and Dogman doing posts.

It seems slow here. What’s been happening???

Dogman is still around. YPedal I don't know the real story but he strikes me as someone who can be too busy here and there, not that he's never around or anything. Doctorbass, I don't know, some of the deconstructionists took their neodialectic libertarianism a bit far and even got some post structuralization. Not him personally, but maybe his friends, maybe his interest waned for that reason.

Or maybe it was an excuse to practice my semiotic Lacandry. I mean, you asked in Toxic. . . .

I did ask in Toxic 😛
I’m building my first NCA 2170 pack.
I purchased a KWelder. I’ve been posting and very little responses. 10 years ago, it was hopping in here.

Jeremy Harris, etc., some have been gone a long time. Some have new names.

Luna won't bring enthusiasm, there's been some ugliness.

Otherwise it seems slow for a few weeks. Maybe it'll pick up.

Changed names??? Really????
Wow!

I still see Spinning magnets in here.
Ron has been nice.
Dogman nice
Ypedal nice
Doctor bass nice
John in CR nice

These are the names I can remember for 8-10 years ago.

A lot of the casual traffic has gone to the ES Facebook. For the more technically-minded, there were a lot of questions and experiments ten years ago, and now?...the most common questions have been answered, and product selections have improved to the point where building something custom doesnt seem to be necessary anymore.

There are still a few gaps in the knowledge'base and the catalog of buy-able parts, but...less than before.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

spinningmagnets said:
Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Never. Just less correct than other times.

But as you're saying, people seem to already know there's BMS, all sorts of things that they used to say "Huh?" the moment it was mentioned. "I have a motor and a throttle, what would I need a controller for?" There was a 'Ten Years Later What is Different?' thread, don't remember the exact title so I can't look it up, but I remember saying back when an exciting build was to be at least 500w and have something like a frame extension.

Outside of Currie at 450w I don't recall there being a complete kit, now you can buy preconfigured packages that might run with the Deathbike.

Oh, John in CR is nice, but they're not always nice to him. I guess you can expect he'll say things that intimidate the new guys when he builds with a motor that requires 3 controllers.

I like John in CR. Whether I agree or not on any given point, he always has something useful and interesting to add to any technical discussion. I have learned a lot from him.

I want to hear from builders who are experienced and passionate, and John certainly qualifies.

John in CR flip flops and all. 😊

Ron.... your out side of ES stuff has improved to be more accurate! You actually know what you are talking about now 😛😛😛

Are we still in toxic land??? Ok .... I’m safe 🤪😛

My first Ebike was two huge agm batteries With a 1000watt inverter on my $99sears no suspension mountain bike powered by a ridgid 500 rpm reduction drill Controlled with a light dimmer house switch.

How’s that for passion?

The bike was so heavy.... I got a child trailer
Used the same AGM and inverter but moved up from drill motor to 3/4hp motor with a VFD (variable frequency drive) and a potentiometer for changing the frequency from 0-200. Top speed just over 30mph with off the shelf products thrown together.

Passionate enough yet? Lol 😂

Also check out my lawn tractor conversion 😊

[youtube]Q1qTc4sjORY[/youtube]
[youtube]ygu8bV423wU[/youtube]

I think spinning hit the nail on the head... so many kits now , and so many user friendly controllers etc that once combined with Facebook pulls a lot of the appeal/ purpose away from es... disappointing but hardly unsurprising when you think about it. Once thing I find interesting is the Facebook group diy ebikes.... it seems pretty big but every day I see questions or issues that were solved here years ago, and more worryingly answered that go against thewisdom built up over the years... I wouldn't be surprised to see some kff and fires out of their sooner or later.

Its the same questions asked all the time here, plus people move on in life with jobs, houses.

I've found it slow for a long time (a year +) before 1st wk in aug when I had my ebike accident, and I was on the computer quite a bit everyday (and bored) doing various things so I'd be on ES every single day. The last 2 months I hardly been on the computer, by now I know all the cable tv commercials when I hardly watched cable tv at all before my accident. Before I'd watch youtube on tv every night and occasionally netflix and play computer games. The couch has a nice dent in it now so I hope to be able to put weight on the leg soon and be able to ride again soon enough.

Hope everyone else is doing fine.

Ten years back..... so grateful for the awesome help here!!!
So I’m on Facebooks DIY ebikes and help others
And the Facebook Mid drive bb’s and help there and even help on the 18650 new builders Facebook.

I’m trying to give back. But the ES Facebook is strange lol.

I’m grateful for the help I’ve received here for sure!!

😊🙏🏻🙏🏻😊

I'll always post my stuff here. Got off Facebook about a year ago I guess. Best move ever.
Forums are where it's at - it's got a natural filter in that you need to be able to string coherent sentences together to ask a question, so the 'Someone google this for me' crowd don't stick around long.

But the risk is that when the remaining crew aren't corrected when they make a mistake or show a misunderstanding, and it hangs around long enough unchallenged, poor decisions can be made.

I don't think it's a big deal now that everybody has no money so big projects don't happen so much.

As an aside, I'm working on a big 18650 pack for the Prelude battery. Previous one got wet due to a small coolant leak and the condensation got everywhere :( So the new pack will be fully potted and waterproof. I still hate working with round cells...

Doctorbass is still here, I saw him 8)

No kidding, I'm still passionated by ebike and all other E-transport stuff as well!

For the two last years i was working full time to develop the next gen powerplay system at Rocky Mountain with the R&D team :)

I also spend alot of time on my Zero and sometime go with E-motorcycle or E-bicycle is a difficult question every weekend!

I agree that it is difficult to post on every media plateform the same ratio as before as all post are now shared on multiple plateform. when i was 100% on E-S all my post was on E-S... now these are the same rate but divided in all Electricmotrocycleforum, zero Facebook page, diy electric motorcycle and other DIY E-stuff facebook pages etc.

I'm still questionning me about where it worth the most posting... A forum is a great discussion board and also an awsome "datacenter" with search tool much easier than on facebook...

For exemple, Luke never post on Facebook.. or i never saw these. This is is personal choice and i think he have great reasons. Luke Spirit is awsome. His personality is one of these that had the most influence on me. He even have double the number of post than me on E-S , that's totally awsome!! :D He consider posting here is probably more benefit for the community.. he is probably right.

I will always spend time on E-S as long as E-S exist and that i'm alive. Sometime there is pause, sometime a blast of post about new project.

Coming back after long time to E-S is like watching an old album of photo of your life!.. Personally i like to read some of my past posts back in 2007.. alot of things have changed , :shock:

10kW+ controller now availlable for 300$... no more need to take a Clyte 48V 35A , beef up shunt and replace mosfet...
Powerfull ebikes are everywhere.. back in 2007 crossing someone with a modified ebike was so unique!
$ per kWh is so low than people now look for new cells for their project... I remember when lithium cells was 1000$/kWh

Doc

For the Past several months my time has been spent Researching the Virus and Vaccines ( Inoculations ) , and thinking about the Future of the U.S. and other Countries .
So much has changed in my Lifetime , changed for the worse for Humanity .
But it looks like 2022/2023 will bring allot of Positive Changes , it is time to just sit back and wait for the Masses to figure out what is really going on .
So I am not posting much on E.S.
Also there are people much better able to answer Technical Questions to Newbies than me so I have
stopped even posting in those sections .
I am waiting for a better platform than Facebook . I am surprised that it is still around as it is Bad on So many levels . living in Silicon Valley it is going to get interesting around here when it and Twitter finally Crashes and Burns , I check both of their stock prices every once in a while and wonder about the Dumb Money Speculators who own stocks in those two companies , and what they will do when they loose a ton of money .
The Future is going to be interesting .

and thinking about the Future of the U.S. and other Countries .

Yes which countries to visit to see if its a place to move to.
Many cheap out and go to Asia like Thailand because its so cheap to live there.
I personally wouldnt mind Miami if I had the money, but for me its more of the ocean is filthy and so I'd be more inclined to want a fresh water lake that is pristine so more NW USA. Switzerland would be amazing, been to Zurich. I know a lot of people are moving away from UK because of the Brexit scam.

Cali is good if your broke and want to sleep, pee and poo on the beach or near the beach and not be ticketed or jailed. Its also good for shop lifting without consequences.
Pitch a tent anywhere, literally anywhere.

nicobie said:
What ever you do, stay away from California. Too damn many here now.

Victoria BC had a law that bums could camp in parks but be decamped by 8am.
Then of course Vancouver has their encampments.

Where are those bums suppose to go when theres no affordable housing to be had because the gov't allows foreigners to buy up real estate. Squeeze them out of one area for them to prop up in another area. So long as their not near rich peoples houses then who cares.

People will start building bicycle trailers to sleep in. I saw one once but its to damn small. Lots of area's to camp out in far away from pathways in bushy areas.

Also hopefully PM Justin Turdoh will flee
Then when he is gone he can apologize for what he's done to Canada.

goatman said:
nicobie said:
What ever you do, stay away from California. Too damn many here now.

if you vote in a Republican Governor maybe all the lefties will flee :D

You are Canadian ?

I only visited as far south in Florida as the Orlando area cause I know what South Florida is like , Miami is known as place to only visit if you are young and want to try to score with the young ladies . Like Vegas it is really is a place to stay away from unless you have a ton of money to waste and like being in crowded areas .
Northern Florida has allot of Nature , Lakes, and much better cost of living .
NW U.S. has allot of rainy days , East of the Mountain Range gets you better weather and much better quality of life and people .
The middle to east parts of Texas are good, stay away from the big cities of course . Austin has great bike paths . and good off road biking east of Austin and in East Texas .
California is a great place to visit , as long as you stay at least 50 miles away from San Francisco and L.A.
Do not even think about taking a car to San Francisco, Google how many car break in's there are each day/month to see what I am talking about .
But now is not the time to come to California as we have smokey sky's from the wildfires , perhaps for the next 1-2 months .

markz said:
and thinking about the Future of the U.S. and other Countries .

Yes which countries to visit to see if its a place to move to.
Many cheap out and go to Asia like Thailand because its so cheap to live there.
I personally wouldnt mind Miami if I had the money, but for me its more of the ocean is filthy and so I'd be more inclined to want a fresh water lake that is pristine so more NW USA.

goatman said:
if you vote in a Republican Governor maybe all the lefties will flee :D

:mrgreen:

Careful what you wish for, they might move to B.C.

Haven't you noticed when people move they take their ways with them? Just ask the folks in Oregon, Idaho and Texas what they think of CA people moving into their state. It won't be that long until every where is like California. Think of it as the Delta variant of Covid, a superior version that has evolved that will win in the end. Already everybody is starting to speak english with a CA accent.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Back