Which cable connector?

redscott

1 mW
Got the motor mounted on the Trike & drivetrain sorted out.

Got the battery rack built and a removable battery box (makes the trike lighter so a crippled old fart can load it in a pickup easier).

Looking for a cable connector to run the big wires between the battery box and the junction box for the controller.
The system is 24V (pair of 12V/12ah) and motor is rated as 500watt.

I want a cable connector that will allow me to "unplug" the cable from the batt box, without using tools, for loading in the truck; but will fasten tight against vibration while riding - some sort of locking plug, preferably water-proof as well.

Haven't found anything at local retail stores, including Radio Shack (you saw that coming) so I'm looking at the replacement socket/plug sets for battery chargers, such as these:
http://www.electricscooterparts.com/wireconnectors.html
2 Pin Inline Plug - 2 pin Inline battery charger plug with solder connection posts. Item # CNX-405
2 Pin Inline Port - 2 pin Inline battery charger port with solder connection posts on back side of connector. Item # CNX-410

Do you think these will handle the current of being in the main power supply line?
Or should I keep looking for something more hi-po?

I've seen locking connectors on some industrial-strength extension cords for 120V but they are HUGE!
Alternatives?

Randy
Houston

XLR plugs like the ones you found are fine, But heavy and good for about 20 amps. 24V at 500 watts is pushing them close to max. They should be fine for ever but there's no room to expand later.

Anderson powerpoles like Ypedal recomends are smaller and lighter, and rated for twice the amperage. I personaly hate them, but I use them for some stuff. they would probably be ideal for this.

Thanks guys - I'll go google Anderson Powerpoles & see how much they cost

I just found them at Northern Arizona Wind & Sun
http://store.solar-electric.com/index.html
who specialize in all your solar panel application needs.

five reds for $2.25
five blacks for $2.25
ten terminals for $4.00
total with shipping $16.50 via mailbox

Seems pretty good for industrial strength hardware.

Back